Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 600 - best OS/RAM?

iBook G3 600 - best OS/RAM?
Raman
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 07:52 PM

We have a tired iBook G3 with a combo drive running OS 10.4.10 with 384 megs of RAM and it's getting a little sluggish. We are planning on getting a new 24" iMac in the next few weeks but we want to breathe new life into the iBook and make it play nice with our new iMac. According to Crucial the max RAM we can put is 768 MB so we're going to upgrade the RAM to that after chucking the 256mb stick.

Which OS should we be using with this setup so that it runs fast again? I don't mind if we downgrade or upgrade a few versions. I know Leopard requires a G4. Yes, it came with 9.2 and an early version of OSX but those aren't going back on My g/f basically uses M$ Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Firefox, Safari, and Acrobat reader to do basic stuff. iPhoto runs slow with all of her digicam pictures and so does iTunes - which are the 2 apps that we'd really like to improve performance on.

TIA

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 07:57 PM

I wouldn't put anything more than 10.3 on a G3 iBook. Max the ram is always a good idea, but Tiger is really too much for it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 06:42 PM

Max RAM is actually 640MB. I never found Tiger to be that much slower to be honest, but if every little helps then Panther is the way to go.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 07:24 PM

Ubuntu makes Panther look like a turtle on my iBook 600.

Forum Links
Forum Rules