Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Need Dev Tools 10.1

Need Dev Tools 10.1
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 03:40 AM

I'm setting up an old mac to run a database, and 10.1 is the latest OS it can run. Problem is Apple doesn't have the 10.1 dev tools up on the web anymore. And I need to compile mysql, php and others. Anyone know where I can download this? Or anyone wanna be generous enough to send me a copy?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
I'm setting up an old mac to run a database, and 10.1 is the latest OS it can run. Problem is Apple doesn't have the 10.1 dev tools up on the web anymore. And I need to compile mysql, php and others. Anyone know where I can download this? Or anyone wanna be generous enough to send me a copy?
Apple didn't drop support for any machines until 10.3. If it can run 10.1, it can run 10.2.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Apple didn't drop support for any machines until 10.3. If it can run 10.1, it can run 10.2.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. 10.1 can run on a 604. 10.2 can only run on a G3 or better.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 06:03 PM

I'm afraid you are incorrect. 10.1 can run on a 604. 10.2 can only run on a G3 or better.
Is any the following what you need:

Mac OS X Developer Tools
... includes WebObjects 5 May 2001
... Requires Mac OS X v. 10.1 or later December 2001
... Requires Mac OS X v. 10.1 or later April 2002 ?

If not, I can do more digging

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 10:34 PM

I'm afraid I'm not incorrect. Apple dropped support for the 604 with 10.0.

http://oit.uta.edu/desktop/software/Apple/macos100.htm
10.1 at amazon.com

Xpostfacto

Yes, there are ways of getting it to work.

Anyway, have you tried installing the binary version of fink? You could use it to install the binaries that you need. I don't think you really want to be compiling that kind of stuff on a 604 processor. This should do much better.
http://fink.sourceforge.net/download...php?phpLang=en

Another thing to consider is running Darwin. I about keeled over when you said you were running OS X with a 604 processor. I seriously hope this isn't your primary machine. If you are just wanting to run command line servers on this machine, running just darwin without the Quartz wm running on top of it may help speed things up.

http://www.opendarwin.org/downloads/
( Last edited by Detrius; Apr 27, 2004 at 10:40 PM. )
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 10:46 PM

not even 10.0 officially would run on a 604, but up to 10.1 would run very easily. Obviously this is not my main machine, i'm just trying to build a small cheap database server with old machines I already have. I don't need the dev tools anymore, i found them on the web. It doesn't seem to be working anyway, so I think I might try linux instead.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 06:34 AM

not even 10.0 officially would run on a 604, but up to 10.1 would run very easily. Obviously this is not my main machine, i'm just trying to build a small cheap database server with old machines I already have. I don't need the dev tools anymore, i found them on the web. It doesn't seem to be working anyway, so I think I might try linux instead.
Yeah, I'd say either go with Linux or if you're really up for a laugh chuck OpenDarwin on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules