Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread
OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2006, 02:32 PM

Please use this thread for anything you want to say about Leopard.

Happy posting
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 02:41 PM

So what's new with the Finder Steve? Huh? Nothing you say? Not even the end of brushed metal?

Oh.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 02:47 PM

Is Mail finally going to have a columns/widescreen view? They've copied just about every other feature from Outlook now, I hope they crib that too.

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2006, 03:03 PM

oh, come on ... I was waiting for some GUI change at the least ... or could this be one of their "top secret" features they didn't show ?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 03:06 PM

Proabably gonna have more changes in the final version
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

dudesteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 03:07 PM

Time machine sounds pretty awesome. Instantly reminds me of VAX/VMS file versioning.

siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah, colour me underwhelmed. New apps an new operating system maketh not.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 03:11 PM

the new "top secret" features are a new finder. Apple isn't showing it because they want it to be too late for vista to copy it. Trust me, I've heard about it employees...

Anyway right now they are just using a souped up version of the tiger finder, and the "real" leopard finder is taken out from developers and microsoft's prying eyes.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Is Mail finally going to have a columns/widescreen view? They've copied just about every other feature from Outlook now, I hope they crib that too.
[shameless plug]You know about Letterbox, yes?[/plug]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 03:15 PM

I told everybody expecting some completely unprecented UI revolution in the Finder that they were setting themselves up for disappointment, and lo and behold, they were setting themselves up for a disappointment. Time Machine looks like an awesome new feature to me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

fowler
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2006, 03:16 PM

The preview of 10.4.8 looked great. Can't wait to see what they do with 10.5!
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 03:16 PM

A look at the worth of OSX Leopard.

$25 - New Mail (todo, notes, stationary, rss)
$20 - Spaces (very cool)
$10 - iCal
$30 - Time Machine - If it does what it says, this will be amazing!
$20 - iChat (Tabs, desktop sharing, movies)
$10 - Dashboard
$10 - Spotlight (more, faster, etc)
_____
Looks like about $125 worth of features right there and I don't think we have seen half of it.

I wonder why Spring 2006 though? Why not beat MSFT to to the punch?

BZ

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 03:20 PM

It's been widely rumored that 10.5 will feature major unification of the interface. If that's the case, that's probably some of the "top-secret" stuff that Jobs didn't want to demo. No reason to give M$ anything more to copy this early on.

But if it does feature UI Unification, that alone would be worth the upgrade.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 03:25 PM

I have a feeling that Core Animation and the Finder are going to be used together and that will be part of the Secret Features.

I'm excited. Time Machine and the new iChat look amazing.

dudesteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by fowler
does anyone else feel really let down? this seems more like a 10.4.8 than a 10.5. :/
Apps, applets, utilities like mail, dashboard, etc, are nice and all, but the way I see it is that they're just stuff bundled with the OS. Some of which are worth some of my money.

Major OS changes:
- Full 64 bit.
- Time Machine.
- Core animation.

Possibly a nice update to Universal Access for those who it matters.

It's hard to quantify the value now...especially core animation. It's an enabler...who knows if we'll get real value out of it, yet?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 03:28 PM

Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

clevin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 03:31 PM

this is a super bloated Tiger
1. Time machine backup the file u deleted, so it will getting bigger and bigger when you use it, imagine u think you delete files and get free disk space, actually they are still there.....
2. Time machine will die if ur disk dies, you still need to back up your important files to external media.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I know how they usually introduce several new core technologies and major apps in point upgrades.
Chuck
___

Beligerent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 03:34 PM

im underwhelmed too. The new iChat looks fantastic but I'm willing to bet the new features wont work with AIM or the new Triton. You wont be able to share a presentation or a slide show with a windows user. This is my official prediction. Also the widget creation thing... aww christ we are gonna have 40 million useless myspace widgets out there.

Whats the point of "spaces" again? You can start a bunch of apps and have 'em devour resources while you "hide" them. Am I missing something?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by clevin
this is a super bloated Tiger
1. Time machine backup the file u deleted, so it will getting bigger and bigger when you use it, imagine u think you delete files and get free disk space, actually they are still there.....
2. Time machine will die if ur disk dies, you still need to back up your important files to external media.
It is designed to be used with an external drive. http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

fowler
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2006, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I know how they usually introduce several new core technologies and major apps in point upgrades.
are you going to cry?
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 03:48 PM

Thank god the Finder didn't change. Any improvements there would have shocked way too many people.

clevin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
It is designed to be used with an external drive. http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
ohh, but if you don't have an external drive....

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 04:04 PM

The finder is GOING to change in a huge way. 100% sure of that, I'll bet anyone $500 on it. Apple is waiting for it to be too late for MS to copy the features.

k2director
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 04:09 PM

I'm all about usability, and saw a lot of great usability improvements that get me excited about Leopard. Examples:

iChat's screen sharing will be huge for me, since I give tech support to a lot of family members, and there's currently no hassle-free way to do it.

Then there's the To Dos, Notes and Stationery in Mail. I'll use all of those, probably daily.

Ical has gotten a MAJOR overhaul, and can now be used to schedule meetings with other people, reserve conf rooms, and easily share docs, pics, movies, etc between people on the same project.

Time Machine will become a regular part of my work routine.

I love how easily I can create my own widgets from web pages

Etc. etc. etc.

Plus, I think there will be some significant features that Apple unveils later on...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
the new "top secret" features are a new finder. Apple isn't showing it because they want it to be too late for vista to copy it. Trust me, I've heard about it employees...

Anyway right now they are just using a souped up version of the tiger finder, and the "real" leopard finder is taken out from developers and microsoft's prying eyes.
I hope you're right. On the apple site, it says that leopard will have front row built in, does that mean macs without the IR receiver can have front row?
( Last edited by Velocity211; Aug 7, 2006 at 04:20 PM. )
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
On the apple site, it says that leopard will have front row built in, does that mean macs without the IR receiver can have front row?
I want to know about this new Front Row support too.... how in the world are Mac Pro buyers gonna use the Apple Remote??!

I'm kinda surprised that iCal is still glaringly Brushed Metal, but I'm guessing any big GUI changes in Leopard are still under wraps until later.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

revmitcz
Aug 7, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
I want to know about this new Front Row support too.... how in the world are Mac Pro buyers gonna use the Apple Remote??!
Command-escape?
The iPod dock has an IR "port". I don't think many Mac Pro people are going to use Front Row much - if they do, again there's the iPod dock.

Personally, I've been using the Keyspan Digital Media Remote for about 5+ years now. I used Pacifist to install Front Row, and it works just fine.
RevMitcz.com : home of moi.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 04:38 PM

At least many people should be happy that Spotlight now supports boolean arguments. And if Apple can succeed in delivering a unlified 64 bit Leopard (with all APIs 64 bit) despite the challenge of the bolted on EM64T, that will be a pretty impressive accomplishment.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by clevin
ohh, but if you don't have an external drive....
Then it's not Time Machine's fault your backup is insecure and takes up space on your main disk, is it?
Chuck
___

Scott-G
Aug 7, 2006, 04:49 PM

Any indications what the minimum system specs they will be targeting for the new OS? Will it run on my G4 15" FP iMAC (800MHz)?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by revmitcz
Command-escape?
The iPod dock has an IR "port". I don't think many Mac Pro people are going to use Front Row much - if they do, again there's the iPod dock.
I don't have an iPod to use with an iPod dock anyway. I guess if I reeeally want I can use my W810i (I remember some Front Row download that included support for SE phones as remotes).

BTW Time Machine looks like an awesome "magic" backup system, I just wonder how much space it will require. Will there be options to limit how far back in time you can go, to conserve HDD space? I think I'm going to have to get a larger external drive or severely limit what it backs up.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
[shameless plug]You know about Letterbox, yes?[/plug]
Yes, I'm aware of hacks that are prone to break with any update.

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 04:59 PM

I wonder if you can copy a file from Time Machine. From the QT movie it looks like it replaces the newer version with the older version when you hit restore.

kman

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 04:59 PM

I like Spaces, iChat and Time machine...but anyone else not care about Dashboard?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 05:07 PM

Leopard sounds good. Remember its a preview and only a preview. i dont really get excited until the release date gets closer, and more people start to talk about it. I aways find that a new feature to app always seems "I never use that" but in the end you find it is a great new feature and you could not live without it.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

SkaGoat
Aug 7, 2006, 05:12 PM

Just for the record.... Who's copying who??

Longhorn had fast searching long before Tiger came out.

Outlook has had all the useful features being added to Mail and iCal.

This is just to name a few.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

what are the minimum specs for this operating system? would my ti 1ghz powerbook G4 with 1gig of RAM be able to run this beast? or would I have to get an upgrade? ....

Alex

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SkaGoat
Longhorn had fast searching long before Tiger came out.
Longhorn isn't "out" yet.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2006, 05:31 PM

Apple is pretty innovative and are probably really pushing hard now since the upgrade to Intel and the MS announcement of a major "new" operating system. Vista is going to need good hardware to properly run and Microsoft is even pushing system design to go along with it (sound familiar?). Now, both companies can compete on relatively even footing, assuming Vista is as good as they want us to believe. Hence the wait for MS to get closer to shipping it. Apple has to have some trump cards up their sleeve, just in case. Otherwise, we would probably have 10.5 by the end of the year.

Let's see if Microsoft is innovative.

@ SkaGoat: These two companies have been "borrowing" from each other as well as other OSes for a long time. MS just seems to be going all out with Vista and trying to catch up to OSX in one big bang. There are some things I really miss from Windows while using OSX, but not more than I can count on a couple fingers. These new features for Leopard look great and probably are really easy to use, even if they've been around for a while yet.

It's a testament to OSX's stabilty that Apple can upgrade everything seemingly so easy, unlike Microsoft, who actually have to do some work for a change. Windows is really bad once you use OSX. Really.

Really.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 05:33 PM

He must've meant Windows XP, since Windows XP brought Fast User Switching before Mac OS (Panther?).

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
what are the minimum specs for this operating system?
I'd actually like to know this as well.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 05:49 PM

It seems fairly obvious to me that the Leopard shown on apple.com is not giving us the full show (in addition to the fact that, you know, they *said* this wasn't all that Leopard will have). The build Steve was using on stage looked different in several subtle ways from that on apple.com. Most noticeably, the apple.com Leopard features a Spotlight menu in the upper right, whereas Steve's build had the Spotlight icon in the Dock instead.

There's still quite some time before Leopard ships. There will be more revealed, I'm certain.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 06:05 PM

Paul Thurrott is not impressed with Leopard:

http://www.internet-nexus.com/

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scott-G
Any indications what the minimum system specs they will be targeting for the new OS? Will it run on my G4 15" FP iMAC (800MHz)?
The 64-bit presentation on the web mentions G3 compatiblity, so you'll certainly fall within the minimum specs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 06:09 PM

They should have changed their banners to read "Tiger 2.0."

HTML E-mail bloat? Dashboard goodies? iChat backdrops? This is the best they could do?

Spaces? Welcome to the party Steve but you're a little late.

So, about ZFS, true OGG support, real (S)FTP support in Finder, and fixing TFF again?

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 7, 2006, 06:18 PM

Personally, I like the automatic backup part and Mail's Notes feature best. Apparently the New Finder hasn't been included yet, so there seems to be more to come. I wonder whether Time Machine is based on HFS or if Apple will include a new filesystem.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2006, 06:19 PM

spaces looks nice, but isnt there an app out there thats just like this?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 06:21 PM

Was anybody expecting ZFS or Ogg support?
Chuck
___

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 06:30 PM

Surely developers have to sign some form of NDA!?

It's only a few hours since the keynote, and I've already seen the Leopard preview, and the Mac Pro service manual on a torrent site!

It surely can't be that hard for apple to find out who's posted it already.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules