Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Who here (still) uses a eMac?

View Poll Results: who uses a eMac?
Poll Options:
Yes and still kickn' 8 votes (34.78%)
Yes 1 votes (4.35%)
No 14 votes (60.87%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll
Who here (still) uses a eMac?
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 10:04 PM

Haven't seen any threads about eMacs so i was wondering.
Signature depreciated.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 10:10 PM

I wish I still did. I'd trade this Core Duo mini for a 1.42GHz eMac in a heartbeat!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 03:21 PM

Really? I'd love to have a dual-CPU Mini and a heartbeat

My eMac 700 is still going strong, although it's only my backup system, and gets used for UT2004 LAN gaming on low settings.

But you can't have it It's also the only system I have that can boot OS 9, which is nice for Descent 3!
nagromme

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 03:34 PM

I had an eMac once, but it got destroyed when I moved to Alaska 3 years ago. It was a great machine, wish I still had it.

bill k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 04:17 PM

I have two, an OS X 2.4 & 4.2, never had problems, built like a truck, 55 lbs!

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 08:05 PM

I used mine (a 1.25GHz G4 with 1GB RAM and a 160GB hard drive) from May 2004 until May 2006, when I bought my current MacBook. I've now given it to my mum and siblings, for her to use for church things and them for school things. It was still more than powerful enough for what I used it for (well, save video encoding) but it was far too massive for me to take to university. It still runs very sweet indeed and I liked it very much.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

mBurns
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 11:11 PM

I have a eMac 1.42 GHZ G4. It's a great machine that feels as speedy as my MacBook Pro on almost all tasks. I've been told the 1.42 GHZ G4 eMac's are very rare.. is this true?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 05:11 AM

Got my stock 1.25GHz eMac in May 2006 and is my main computer. Stuck a 1GB stick in it to go with the stock 256MB and it runs really well. I would love a 24inch iMac but I really need to pour money into the house renovations first.

When I originally bought it I was intending to rebox it (once out of warranty) in a nice PC case so that I could have 2 or 3 internal hardrives - I don't mind firewire external drives, but I preferred the idea of having them internal for speed and other reasons.
With time my wife started using the computer more and I realised that I really could not start ripping it apart. I also reaslised that if I was to mod it - it would no longer be 'standard' and although I could tolerate if sleep or power management did not work perfectly or it might need extra nursing from time, my fellow no-techy user might get a bit annoyed when she just wanted to check her email.
So although I would prefer a separate display and CPU, the all-in-one design actaully suits us very well and I suspect many users out there are the same.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 02:32 PM

I also have the iMac G4 1.42GHz, the last of its batch I believe. We were debating between an iMac G5, a Mac Mini + monitor, or an eMac, but eventually chose the eMac for its value and kid-sturdiness. Lots of Little fingers + LCD screen == baaaad news. :-)

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2006, 04:24 PM

Do the 660 eMacs I manage at work count?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2006, 05:14 PM

I still have mine as a main machine (though I'm honestly on my iBook far more often). Great machine, built like a tank. But, unfortunately, with an iBook and older iMac DV (no fans) it is, by far, the LOUDEST machine I've owned in years.

1.25, 1.5gb, 160gb, BT and Airport ...basically maxxed out and equipped to run as fast as a 1.25 G4 can possibly run -- its surprisingly MUCH faster feeling than my iBook 1.33 w/1.5gb and the screen looks like a dream compared to the iBook's so-so LCD

Rodster
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 03:13 PM

I still have my eMac which is the G4 1.25ghz model with a combo drive. Recently it started acting up so I took it apart and fixed it.

Other than that it's still going strong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules