Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I upgrade the RAM through Apple?

Should I upgrade the RAM through Apple?
nickname
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 11:58 PM

I have already decided on getting a 2.0GHz macbook because of the superdrive. But Iwas also thinking, should I upgrade the RAM? is it cheaper if I upgrade it when I buy it or should I just wait and buy one from another manufacturer? I've seen how easy it is to install the ram aswell..

Is it easy to find the exact RAM needed for a macbook? I'm afraid of buying the wrong kind of RAM and wasting my money because i'm not very computer-oriented on the uhh motherboard stuff.

Sorry if this is making no sense, but i'm new to upgrading my computers and such.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 12:13 AM

Yes you should upgrade to at least 1gig, preferably 2gigs if you can afford it.
No, don't buy from Apple.

Look around on this forum, there is a lot of good discussion about RAM brands and vendors.
Pre-grats on the MacBook!

jaydon34
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 12:15 AM

neva there double the price
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 12:38 AM

The 1gig upgrade from Apple isn't a bad price, but it can be had for cheaper elsewhere.

I recommend getting this ram from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220078

Much cheaper than the Apple upgrade and it works great in the MacBook.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

nickname  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 12:53 AM

I think I might actually shop around instead of getting it from apple, and thanks for hte feedback!

anyone else know any other places hwere I can buy some good-but-reasonably priced RAM?

Dex4788
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 03:56 PM

Is that Patriot Ram you linked one stick on a gig? Wouldn't be a bad deal to get it all the way up to 2 gigs for under $200. What are the specs for the ram that can fit into a Macbook?

kizilelma
Jun 2, 2006, 04:02 PM

that RAM fits. Don't buy from Apple, i don't understand how they think they can charge 3x as much for something that is so cheap. That means they're making $400 extra off some people who don't know how to shop around. geez Apple, come on...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 04:50 PM

Yes, Apple is lame about RAM upgrades.

reybart
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by wholeinoneon19
Is that Patriot Ram you linked one stick on a gig? Wouldn't be a bad deal to get it all the way up to 2 gigs for under $200. What are the specs for the ram that can fit into a Macbook?
Yes! This is the one I am using now and it works perfectly to my macbook.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 07:19 PM

I bought 2 GB of RAM from OWC and popped it in with no trouble. Total time for the upgrade: 5 minutes. Total cost: $225.

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 08:22 PM

From my perspective, if you're going to upgrade to 1 Gig, you may as well do it through Apple. If you're going for a total of 2 Gigs, you should probably go somewhere else. It's true that Apple does charge more for their RAM. Having said that, if you buy the stock RAM config, buy the 1 Gigs somewhere else, sell the 256 gig chips that it ships with on E-Bay, and then add the RAM yourself, you have probably saved $30 or so from what you would have spent just upgradig the RAM from Apple. If the extra hour or so of your time to do that is worth only $30 or less to you, buy externally. For me, I was happy to pay the extra to have Apple upgrade my machine to 1 Gig. If I was buying 2 gigs though, I would have done it myself as the savings are several hundred dollars that way...

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 08:48 PM

Same advice as GoDucks:

1gb upgrade from Apple is not bad, you can get it directly. If you are planning to add 2gb, get it somewhere else as Apple is charging too much.

eltrut
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 10:36 PM

Never buy RAM from Apple. Unless you have too much money.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 04:17 PM

Just installed a pair of Corsair 1 gb DDR2 PC5300's into my MacBook. I can't believe how hard you have to push on the memory modules to get them properly seated. Probably a good 8 pounds or so of pressure alternating on each end was needed. I can how some people will be thinking their new memory is defective if they didn't get them seated. You don't want to break the socket off the motherboard, but you also have to push hard enough to get things seated.

Hint: Notice how far in the modules are when they first meet resistance. They'll need to go in about a 1.5 to 2mm further in to seat. Also, it helps if you check how far in the Apple installed modules are siting BEFORE pulling them out. Then you'll have a point of comparison. My modules sit deep enough that they recess behind the metal bezel by a tiny bit.

Steady, firm pressure on each end gradually nudged mine into position. Pretty scary amount of pressure if like me, you haven't deal with this type of socket.

fesdds
Jun 4, 2006, 04:28 PM

I also agree with GoDucks that the price is reasonable for the 1 gig uprade (yes maybe not the cheapest but sometimes convienence wins), but by no means would I ever pay what they want for 2 gigs

kizilelma
Jun 4, 2006, 05:03 PM

if you're going to get 1 gig, it would be cheaper and more expandable to just buy an $85 single SODIMM from www.newegg.com. Then if you want to move up to 2gigs later, you won't be throwing any RAM away. Point is: Do not buy ANY ram from Apple. It's $100 to go from 512 to 1gig on apple, so ur paying $100 for a 512 stick. It is NOT a good deal at ALL. Plus if u buy a 1 gig stick you'll really have 1.25gigs

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2006, 05:07 PM

Why is RAM so expensive at the Apple Store, but not HD's? I think RAM should be cheaper because it would make people's OS X run smoother, which is better for the overall image.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by danengel
Why is RAM so expensive at the Apple Store, but not HD's? I think RAM should be cheaper because it would make people's OS X run smoother, which is better for the overall image.
Probably for that exact reason. RAM is pretty necessary, so why not milk it for all its worth? There are plenty of people who would never dream of upgrading their own RAM due to a deep-seated fear of all things electronic. In the end, Apple is just taking advantage of its less technical-savvy customers. Oh well, that's what you get when you deal with a major corporation: raped up the @$$.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules