Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > I seem to be on the wrong end of some sort of vendetta against someone called 'Atomic

I seem to be on the wrong end of some sort of vendetta against someone called 'Atomic
Dual Porpoise
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2008, 05:11 PM

Please can someone sort this out? My thread asking about why the PL disappeared for me was closed after it devolved into attacks on someone called 'Atomic Rooster'. I have no other accounts here.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2008, 05:27 PM

The overwhelming evidence shows that, rather than being a new member, you are instead someone who was specifically banned from the Political Lounge, strongly implying that you established this user name solely for the purpose of participating in the PL when your original user name was explicitly forbidden to do so. If you can show convincing evidence that you are not someone else, we'll reverse this action.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 05:30 PM

Dual Porpoise  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2008, 05:45 PM

Thank you - you are the first person who has addressed this in a remotely straightforward and helpful way. If you could let me know what evidence you think shows that, and what evidence I could show you that would convince you, then I could set you straight. I would have thought IP logs would be sufficient - do you have access to those?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2008, 06:43 PM

I have access to exhaustive IP logs. Your IPs have all been extremely consistent with another member's, and not consistent with any other pattern. The domains of these IPs are specific enough that it is highly unlikely that the two user name posts were made by more than one person with the same writing style and the same expressed beliefs. Further the other user name has been "interestingly" quiet since "Dual Porpoise" showed up.

For the record, I do not think you're "Atomic Rooster." But I won't publicly say who I think you are.

Dual Porpoise  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2008, 06:51 PM

So there is no consistency in who I am supposed to be impersonating, and it is to do with my 'beliefs'. Great - well enjoy your site - it's has some of the weirdest and most hostile responses to newcomers that I've come across on the internet. I hope not having anyone with my 'beliefs' makes it more enjoyable for you.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2008, 07:13 PM

hahaha, like you won't be back/keep posting under the old name.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2008, 08:16 PM

As mentioned before, we don't go around doing these things on the spur of the moment, we use the evidence that is given to us by you.

Just like Ca$h, you're no exception to the rules.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 08:28 PM

Speaking of being banned from the pol lounge. I keep seeing "I miss Abe" who is Abe, and why did he get banned?
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2008, 09:17 PM

I was going to point you to this thread as a "classic" Abe post, but a big part of Abe's schtick was the pictures, which all have broken links now.

I wasn't 100% sure of the why he got permabanned from pol, my guesses would be sockpuppetry, blatant and premeditated defiance of Rule 8, or both.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dual Porpoise View Post
So there is no consistency in who I am supposed to be impersonating, and it is to do with my 'beliefs'. Great - well enjoy your site - it's has some of the weirdest and most hostile responses to newcomers that I've come across on the internet. I hope not having anyone with my 'beliefs' makes it more enjoyable for you.
I don't give a rat's behind about your "beliefs." It's the way you express them, the vehemence with which you do so, and the lack of contact with either logic or coherence that makes your posts unacceptable. I would put forward that almost any idea, well worded and thoughtfully presented would be acceptable for posting, even if it were horrific or abhorrent. But that is not the case with your posts, especially under another of your guises, so you lost privileges in the PL. You cannot simply come up with a new nick and expect that you can evade a ban, even a forum-specific ban.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I wasn't 100% sure of the why he got permabanned from pol, my guesses would be sockpuppetry, blatant and premeditated defiance of Rule 8, or both.
Yes. And more.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
lack of contact with either logic or coherence that makes your posts unacceptable.

Really? I've never found him (in any guise) to be either, at least until he developed the persecution complex.

To think, all this time what I thought made his posts unacceptable was how abusive they were.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 09:39 PM

Who is this "him" you speak of?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2008, 10:05 PM

So there is no consistency in who I am supposed to be impersonating
You're not "impersonating" anyone. You're doing the opposite — you're pretending not to be somebody. And there's no disagreement among the staff about who you're pretending not to be.

and it is to do with my 'beliefs'. […] I hope not having anyone with my 'beliefs' makes it more enjoyable for you.
For example, one of the beliefs this "other" member had is the idea that we're out to get everyone on the left side of the political spectrum. What a coincidence!

Playing games like this won't win you any points. I promise, handling things like a mature adult will get much better results.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 10:21 PM

just ban him for the "no more then one nick" rule

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

is Dual Porpoise Abe?

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
We don't have a rule against that. See reader's post on the topic.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2008, 10:37 PM

I wish I could bump Abe's weed thread...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 10:53 PM

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2008, 11:08 PM

I always thought that Abe was really Art Bell. At least, that story is probably more interesting than reality, so I'm sticking to it....

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 11:18 PM

You mean he wasn't?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2008, 11:19 PM

I have no proof that he isn't Art Bell. Does that make you feel better?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2008, 11:34 PM

kinda, an ice cream would help though. Chocolate

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 01:33 AM

We have no proof that Dork. is not Abe or Art Bell either.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
is Dual Porpoise Abe?
No, he's zombie punk.

He registered the same day zombie punk got banned from the Pol Lounge.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
We don't have a rule against that. See reader's post on the topic.
On the other hand, using an alternate nick to evade a ban is something we have a strong policy if not rule against. It is, in effect, thumbing one's nose at the vast majority of people here who WANT TO cooperate, discuss and behave civilly. Thus, the measured response to our OP's attempt to get into the PL by forum-banning his nick from that forum. We have a wide range of tools to deal with continued problems, like considering it to be "defiance of moderation" for the OP to continue to deny that he is actually another, established user.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2008, 12:02 PM

Did peeb get banned from the pol lounge? When I read the post in CW's link, I noticed his handle and took note that I had not seen any posts from hi lately. I looked and his last post was in June.
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2008, 01:39 AM

I don't understand why this is NOT considered ban evasion.

I was temp-banned for merely using an old secondary nick for PMing a mod while under a ban - not even trying to disguise my identity. On the other hand, zombie porpoise gets away with registering a new nick and attempting to evade the PWL ban.

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2008, 02:14 AM

I've heard on the grapevine that the mods are laxing the "small stuff" now a days. for example, check out the sig carefully of the guys post above yours turtle.

turtle777 for mod

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2008, 02:52 AM

Forum-specific "bans" are actually permissions edits. They don't even appear in the normal banned list, making them hard to detect for non-admins.

Since they're usually handed out for local reasons (forum-specific rules, high-quality nuisance, etc) there's no need to treat them the same as real bans.

BPR, imagine if we did sweat all the small stuff:
  • There are 3 sentences in your reply, all three offtopic with respect to the OP. (+3 pts)
  • "turtle777 for mod" - personal attack, everyone knows turtle turned us down when we asked. (+10 pts)
  • Sig doesn't ring any bells for me, might be commercial because it asks for clicks. (spammer warning)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 04:24 AM

I still don't understand why the secondary nic is not perma-banned if it's used to evade a temp ban. Are you saying it's for purely technical reasons ("hard to detect")? Or are you saying this is intentional? And if it's the latter, what is the reasoning? Ban evasion is ban evasion, isn't it?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I still don't understand why the secondary nic is not perma-banned if it's used to evade a temp ban. Are you saying it's for purely technical reasons ("hard to detect")? Or are you saying this is intentional? And if it's the latter, what is the reasoning? Ban evasion is ban evasion, isn't it?
Exactly. It doesn't make any sense. Especially since everyone of the mods knows who Porpoise is, and that he is banned from the PWL.

-t

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2008, 10:15 AM

Let's throw in the respecting the privacy of a a dupe account.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Forum-specific "bans" are actually permissions edits. They don't even appear in the normal banned list, making them hard to detect for non-admins.

Since they're usually handed out for local reasons (forum-specific rules, high-quality nuisance, etc) there's no need to treat them the same as real bans.

BPR, imagine if we did sweat all the small stuff:
  • There are 3 sentences in your reply, all three offtopic with respect to the OP. (+3 pts)
  • "turtle777 for mod" - personal attack, everyone knows turtle turned us down when we asked. (+10 pts)
  • Sig doesn't ring any bells for me, might be commercial because it asks for clicks. (spammer warning)
point taken, but: ( )

1. Okay, I'd take that
2. Suggesting someone be a mod equals a personal attack is sorta pushing it. (and no, I didn't know that he refused when asked.)
3. sig = a "community" building online game. The more clicks, the more of a city you have. You should check it out .

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2008, 05:42 PM

(and no, I didn't know that he refused when asked.)
Reader50 was, of course, joking.

But thanks for your vote of confidence.

-t

Atomic Rooster
Sep 27, 2008, 07:51 PM

Sup guys? Just stumbled upon this thread. Hardly ever come into the feedback forum. Looks like I've missed some juicy stuff. Welcome duel porpoise to MacNN, the home of the paranoid and schizoid. I've gotten PM's accusing me of being everyone who signs up. It's cool tho, I enjoy the attention. Let the right wingnuts have their play in the slop that the PL lounge has become. Only a few lefties venture in there anymore. It's become a mess with horrible biased moderation.

Good luck.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
[*]"turtle777 for mod" - personal attack, everyone knows turtle turned us down when we asked. (+10 pts)
Originally Posted by turtle777
Reader50 was, of course, joking.
But thanks for your vote of confidence
Whew. He had me worried there for a while.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 06:04 AM

3. sig = a "community" building online game. The more clicks, the more of a city you have. You should check it out .
Dude. How long have you been a 12-year-old girl?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 29, 2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude. How long have you been a 12-year-old girl?
His whole life.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2008, 09:49 AM

Being born at age 12 was pretty remarkable, you gotta give her that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 09:54 AM

Man, how come you've been so vicious in the last few months Laminar? You used to be far less aggressive around here. Are you just ticked off at the world? You are welcome to talk about it here, we are your friends.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Being born at age 12 was pretty remarkable, you gotta give her that.
That was either a compliment to brassplayersrock's mom, or an insult to brassplayersrock himself.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 29, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Man, how come you've been so vicious in the last few months Laminar? You used to be far less aggressive around here. Are you just ticked off at the world? You are welcome to talk about it here, we are your friends.
He's not being vicious. Actually, you are being very passive aggressive here, which is you're usual MO. Are you ticked off at all Republicans still? Please, don't talk to me about it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, you are being very passive aggressive here, which is you're usual MO.
Quoted for irony, which makes baby Jesus weep for his poor misguided sheep.

And I don't even visit the Political Lounge.

(oh, and apostrophizored)

Railroader
Banned
Sep 29, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Quoted for irony, which makes baby Jesus weep for his poor misguided sheep.

And I don't even visit the Political Lounge.

(oh, and apostrophizored)
So, no beef with besson3c? C'mon analogika, you're becoming transparent.

(ah ha! Caught one.)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 04:49 PM

No, he's zombie punk.

He registered the same day zombie punk got banned from the Pol Lounge.
zombie punk (aka. peeb)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
So, no beef with besson3c? C'mon analogika, you're becoming transparent.

(ah ha! Caught one.)
Huh?

besson3c wasn't "passive-aggressive", he was joking - "You are welcome to talk about it here, we are your friends" is so obviously silly and over-the-top, it could have tipped you off.

Look I can't stand besson, but right here, Railroader's the one pushing around because of stuff that happened in other forums.

It's friggin' annoying, and the reason I've been responding specifically to him twice now is because he purports to be a church guy and should ****ing know better.

Rob (Ca$h) may be a complete asshole, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about *everything*.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 08:00 PM

analogika: even though you can't stand me, I really like you. I like you so much that perhaps you should feel guilty for disliking me considering the affection I feel towards you.

Either that, or it is quite possible that I'm on the wrong end of some sort of vendetta.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 29, 2008, 10:17 PM

Huh?
Huh, what?

besson3c wasn't "passive-aggressive", he was joking - "You are welcome to talk about it here, we are your friends" is so obviously silly and over-the-top, it could have tipped you off.
"Are you just ticked off at the world?" = passive aggressive. He was not joking.

Look I can't stand besson, but right here, Railroader's the one pushing around because of stuff that happened in other forums.
Pot, meet kettle.

It's friggin' annoying, and the reason I've been responding specifically to him twice now is because he purports to be a church guy and should ****ing know better.
I can't stand most churches. And why are you being a hypocrite and talking about stuff from other forums? Shouldn't you know better?

Rob (Ca$h) may be a complete asshole, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about *everything*.
Now this raises a complete WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT NOW?!?!??!??!!!11!!??!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 10:24 PM

It's very easy to understand rail, i'm surprised that you ... err, actually I'm not. never mind, go on, i'll get my popcorn ready for the next installment of the world revolves around railroader.

Forum Links
Forum Rules