Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question for Audio Engineers

Question for Audio Engineers
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2010, 04:31 PM

When you produce a typical album, is it designed for stereo speakers or surround speakers? As in, do you actually split up the sound between four or more speakers?

A guy on another forum is trying to convince me that my POS stock Ford radio is splitting up the signal from the radio and CD changer into four unique signals, one for each POS 15W 6x8 speaker in the car. He knows this is true because each speaker has two wires going to it (uh...) and he can totally hear cymbal crashes and stuff coming from the back speakers. And, "When songs are produced in a studio, they make the music for at least 4 speakers to give the listener that surround experience."

I think he's full of it, but don't want to say too much without being sure...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:37 PM

BS.

How would that work anyways ?
Even IF they encoded 4 channels into a stereo recording, you would need a specialized amp that would "decode" the 4 channels out of the steero signal.

Sure, *theoretically*, that would be possible, but it's not being done.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:39 PM

With risk of getting another facepalm, I'm fairly certain that CD audio only has 2 channels. You can hook up more than 2 speakers for surround sound, but it's not going to change that it's still stereo.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2010, 04:40 PM

My favorite part is that the wiring diagram clearly shows four wires from the CD changer : left+, right+, left-, right-. These wires can be tapped into to install an aux. plug so it's clear that they're simple stereo audio wires, not data lines.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2010, 04:47 PM

2 channels.

Multi-channel is a specific mix
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad

Pop music today is barely mixed for two discreet channels, let alone four.
The guy may be a bit confused about how car audio works (what with their being front/back fade control along with the L/R balance control), and is mistakenly thinking 4speakers=4 discreet channels. He's wrong, of course.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN

Haha... it's just stereo unless it's quadraphonic. However, it's possible to simulate surround sound through technologies like Dolby Pro Logic II.

Remember those Dolby Pro Logic II cassette tape players in cars?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
When you produce a typical album, is it designed for stereo speakers or surround speakers? As in, do you actually split up the sound between four or more speakers?

A guy on another forum is trying to convince me that my POS stock Ford radio is splitting up the signal from the radio and CD changer into four unique signals, one for each POS 15W 6x8 speaker in the car. He knows this is true because each speaker has two wires going to it (uh...) and he can totally hear cymbal crashes and stuff coming from the back speakers. And, "When songs are produced in a studio, they make the music for at least 4 speakers to give the listener that surround experience."

I think he's full of it, but don't want to say too much without being sure...
Yep, he's full of it. Stereo all the way.
However, we have psycho-acoustic little tricks we can do to make sounds appear behind you, but those only tend to work if you have a single set of stereo speakers in front of you (thus wouldn't work in a car with POS system).

Now, I don't go into car audio much, but I expect that there's certain tricks that can be done in the crossover processing to make it appear like certain frequencies are coming from certain directions. It's possible.
It's also possible that the angle of glass in certain areas is causing certain reflections at specific frequencies to be earlier or more pronounced than others, causing it to appear like cymbals (etc.) are coming from the rears.
But it's nothing we at the source end do.

Note that some high end studios are wired 5.1, but this is usually for AV work (sometimes a mad hippie who thinks he's the new Pink Floyd might request some bizarre surround recording, but it's not usual).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's also possible that the angle of glass in certain areas is causing certain reflections at specific frequencies to be earlier or more pronounced than others, causing it to appear like cymbals (etc.) are coming from the rears.
That was my assumption as well. The front speakers point at my feet, the rear speakers point at the rear windshield.

Thanks for the answer.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That was my assumption as well. The front speakers point at my feet, the rear speakers point at the rear windshield.

Thanks for the answer.
Nay worries ducks. Go and beat said gentleman to death with his own stupidity.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

iTV_Review
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2010, 05:10 PM

It is definitely 2 channels. I think your guy is pulling your chain.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 09:11 PM

Doofy speaks it. Also, stop your friend from driving stoned. It's dangerous to others.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 10:28 PM

Well, to be fair, like Doofy said, sometimes the angle of glass can really create an illusion of surround, especially in cars with a really raked windshield in front or back. I get the sensation all the time in my Accord 2-door.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 08:57 AM

Don't be fair at all - the guy's an idiot
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

indigoimac
Senior User
Aug 28, 2010, 04:10 PM

It's only a stereo signal, but one could argue that in systems with tweeters that are separated from the woofers, like placed on the dash or a? pillar that the use of crossovers is creating another "channel" but it's just a variation on the original left/right to feed the speakers what they are designed for.

Either way, the CD standard is only stereo, 16bit, 44.1k. And while most if not all albums at this point are recorded in multitrack, they are almost always mixed down to stereo and you're lucky to ever see a surround mix unless it's like a live concert dvd/bluray. Most of these surround mixes are still very stereo-centric though.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
...almost always mixed down to stereo and you're lucky to ever see a surround mix unless it's like a live concert dvd/bluray. Most of these surround mixes are still very stereo-centric though.
I don't have a surround sound setup in my apartment so I guess I'm just not in the know here but what the heck kind of surround mixes would be made out of live recordings? That would just seem ungeniune to me as the listener unless the rear speakers were just reproducing venue ambience, which might be the case.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2010, 06:01 PM

Quadraphonic mixes were a short-lived thing in the 1970s. Aside from the Who's Quadrophenia, I was never aware of any quadraphonic LPs that got much market notice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Don't be fair at all - the guy's an idiot

-t

indigoimac
Senior User
Aug 28, 2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I don't have a surround sound setup in my apartment so I guess I'm just not in the know here but what the heck kind of surround mixes would be made out of live recordings? That would just seem ungeniune to me as the listener unless the rear speakers were just reproducing venue ambience, which might be the case.
You are right in your thinking, which is why they are very heavy on the front channels, with center handling predominant vocals passing that off left and right as the video footage requires +/-. The rear speakers are mostly used to sort of immerse you in the music, very much the same way as is done in movies, though obviously without special effects whizzing around.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules