Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10 day shipping delay = revised powerbooks??

10 day shipping delay = revised powerbooks??
rjc3
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 08:44 PM

So my friend's apple order for a 15" 1.25 was supposed to ship today, but he just got a message from Apple that it won't ship until 1/30.
He is really bummed (and is switching from dell, yay!) but I am trying to console him by raising the possibility that such a delay might mean that APple has updated books on the way.
10 days seems like a loooong delay right after x-mas season - any thoughts from the forum? Odds on updated books? alternate explanations for shipping delay?

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 09:10 PM

G5s are on the way. Yeah!

rjc3  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 09:13 PM

um, not sure I'd go that far....I was thinking more along the lines of a bump up to 1.3...but hey, I asked...keep it coming!

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 09:15 PM

Here we go again
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 10:06 PM

I guess it's that time of the week again for speculation.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 09:29 PM

same here I ordered a 15" powerbook 1.25, combodrive, 512 ram, backlit keyboard. ordered 1-22-04 will not ship till 2-3-04 really hate the wait.

reemas
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

isnt that just the normal delay if you customize it?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:27 AM

Yea... is it stock or customized? It might be because he's adding stuff to it like extra ram or bigger hard drive.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 06:53 AM

Chinese new year...

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 08:43 AM

Well there were rumours about new PB's on the 3rd Feb but that dosen't fit with rjc3's mates's delivery date...

As with all rumours they are probably based on the principle that "it's a tuesday = new macs".

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:07 PM

Could be just because of the screen problems that seem to happen in the pbooks...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:22 PM

Dammit, I have a envelope full of cash sitting inside my desk waiting to go down to the nearest Apple Store and buy a new PowerBook. But I'm so afraid to bite because I feel like an update is right around the corner. Meanwhile, I'm losing my hair.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Dammit, I have a envelope full of cash sitting inside my desk waiting to go down to the nearest Apple Store and buy a new PowerBook. But I'm so afraid to bite because I feel like an update is right around the corner. Meanwhile, I'm losing my hair.

Calm down.. Otherwise you gonna have to spend your cash on a wig...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2004, 01:57 PM

Am I the only person who's realized there's ALWAYS a new updated version around the corner?!

Besides, you have GOT to be kidding if you believe a dinky 10-day delay is indicative of new models.

These have only been out since September, including an all-new redesign of the 15" -- they're gonna be around for a while. (Most models seem to have a shelf life of about 8 months.)

tooki

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Calm down.. Otherwise you gonna have to spend your cash on a wig...

LOL. That would be a shame. Then I'd have lost my few remaining hairs!

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 03:02 PM

Actually tooki, the powerbook gets revised every 163 days on average, i.e once every 5.5months-ish. By that average the present model has less than a month to live...

But then macnn dosen't like rumours does it...

cliff
Jan 29, 2004, 08:38 PM

.. But then again, look at the 15" AI. That took forever to update. Everyone kept trying to correlate the ship time dates with an update and they were way off.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 09:54 PM

I think the fact that Apple took 11 months to update the 15" was a shame, but I also think they won't want to go that long again. With the G5 powerbook still aways off (I think Sept myself), that would again be a year with out an update.

...another way of looking at it would be that it was only update once in almost two years if that happened.

I can't see Apple wanting to go that long again. They could easily update it now, which would give then a six month window to get the G5 PB together.

An update could include:

Faster G4 processor (though it can't go THAT much faster)

Better video card

Ram in one slot

Faster HD (5400 standard, 7200 optional)

Better SuperDrive.

...just one mans thoughts.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:03 PM

I just checked the Apple Store site, it's quoting 1-3 days for a stock 15" Powerbook.
How many days was your friend quoted for delivery?

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 10:13 PM

I don't think there is that much that can be done to the range until the people at Apple can figure out how to put a G5 into the PB casing and that is VERY unlikely to be done this early after the .90 G5 chips have come out...i reckon (no info, just from reading forums etc) that there will be G5 PBs no sooner than the WWDC in July.

The G4 can't really go above 1.33GHz without being over-clocked to 1.42GHz and that seems to generate problems so big speed increases seem unlikely and I think Apple will want to keep there 17" out in front on the speed side of things anyway.

So basically the only sensible things to update are the HDD (make the std one faster) and the graphics to include a 128 card for the serious graphics users (as James L said) and maybe fix the smaller problems such as the white spots and uneven illumination.

just my thoughts anyway...heres to hoping!!!

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Chinese new year...
You may be correct
this is what i was told by apple today

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Roy Boy:
You may be correct
this is what i was told by apple today
Yeah they ship from Taiwan. The Chinese Spring Festival (New Year) started January 22nd and runs 15 days I think, which places its end around February 5th. I'm not exactly sure their normal customs (I doubt business shuts down for 15 days), but I would not doubt that businesses slowed down during the festival.

docman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
Yeah they ship from Taiwan. The Chinese Spring Festival (New Year) started January 22nd and runs 15 days I think, which places its end around February 5th. I'm not exactly sure their normal customs (I doubt business shuts down for 15 days), but I would not doubt that businesses slowed down during the festival.
my BTO 12" pb combo (80g HD, airport), ordered 1/29 @ 9PM, shipped today from taiwan. for a time i was at least entertaining myself thinking a great free upgrade announcement today would be the reason for the delay.. heh. couldn't have taken them that long to build it; at least they probably weren't working on it this weekend.

to give you an idea of the production schedule, fwiw..

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 07:32 PM

Mine's scheduled to ship between now and the 5th, so it makes sense. But...but...I waaaaaaant it!!!

cswilliams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 08:26 PM

I did the powerbook trade-in program, and my old one got cleared/verified and the new stock 15" powerbook (superdrive version) that i ordered apparently got entered into the "system" on thursday (1/28). I first was told it would ship 2/3 when i called on 1/28, then i called again this weekend and was told it was shipping 2/5. I then called Apple again today and the rep had no idea why it keeps getting delayed and he expedited my order, but still couldnt tell when it would come! hehe this is driving me crazy, i hate being stuck on this winblows machine!
I guess even the stock ones are coming out of taiwan right now?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 08:29 PM

At least you guys didn't have to wait as long as the first bunch who ordered the Al books when they where first announced during 2003 keynote. I was one of them, and that 3 1/2 months of wait was the longest and slowest time of my life.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 08:44 PM

Well, it seems to me that their supply isn't keeping up with the demand!!! This is actually great news overall. It may suck not to get your machine for a bit, but think of all of the units Apple is shipping! Of course it could mean new machines soon, but that is always a given

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by James L:
Better video card
What's wrong with the ATI Radeon 9600?

Also, I doubt there'll be a speed bump. 1.33ghz is 80mhz more than 1.25ghz. Is that worth anything?

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 09:16 AM

Does there have to be something wrong with the current one for a better one to be upgraded into it?

That is called progress. There are already laptop PC's that are shipping with 128MB of video ram. By your logic why bother upgrading the PB to a G5 ever... the current G4 does the trick just fine!

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 09:26 AM

same here I ordered a 15" powerbook 1.25, combodrive, 512 ram, backlit keyboard. ordered 1-22-04 will not ship till 2-3-04 really hate the wait.
mine finaly shipped. i got a tracking number today est, delivery monday the 9th. i'm like a child at christmas

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
What's wrong with the ATI Radeon 9600?
What's wrong? There is already the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. If I am not mistaken, it is pin compatible with the 9600.

Also, I doubt there'll be a speed bump. 1.33ghz is 80mhz more than 1.25ghz. Is that worth anything?
This is reasonable to assume, a speed bump with the current processor is almost impossible (doesn't makes sense). The best candidate for now lies in the rumor realm, IBM's 750VX.

Crasian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
What's wrong? There is already the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. If I am not mistaken, it is pin compatible with the 9600.

This is reasonable to assume, a speed bump with the current processor is almost impossible (doesn't makes sense). The best candidate for now lies in the rumor realm, IBM's 750VX.
I too just ordered my 15" pb and I can't wait!

I bought it from Apple Direct!
I am fantasy League Champion...the rest
of you are losers!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Crasian:
I too just ordered my 15" pb and I can't wait!

I bought it from Apple Direct!
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to MacNN! Is this your first Mac?

Tweed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 11:42 AM

Well, I was in the same boat.
I ordered my 15" PB and was told that it would be delivered within 3-4 days...then, a few days later, I got the email about the 10 day delay and have just received the PB yesterday.

(In fact, I'm using it right now for my first ever post on this forum )

The bad news (being "bad" only in view of what has been anticipated here) is that there are no pleasant "surprises" with the computer...well, aside from the obvious 'wow' factor.

It seems the delay was just that; a delay.
Not much to it.
Happy New Year...

One dissapointment I experienced is the fact that, despite the fact taht I had the PB factory-modified , and despite the assurances of my sales rep...iLife04 was not included on my machine.
That's a bit of a hit-and-miss thing at this point, I realise- but still...

All in all, very happy with the PB and a hearty thatnks to all on the forum who've helped with my decision (the influence of this board is difficult to quantify).

Cheers.

-Tweed

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 01:34 PM

mine finaly shipped. i got a tracking number today est, delivery monday the 9th. i'm like a child at christmas
Same here!

H * � �
Feb 5, 2004, 06:30 PM

Unless you absolutely need one, I suggest refusing to buy any G4 PB.
This will create more pressure on Apple to place G5 PBs on the shelves.
You won't feel too good when your expensive purchase is suddenly surpassed by a 50% faster machine.
Or buy a used one in the meantime.

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by H * � �:
You won't feel too good when your expensive purchase is suddenly surpassed by a 50% faster machine.
Heh...this is my first Mac, so I'm amped irregardless!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 5, 2004, 10:26 PM

Or a G4 iBook at half the price.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

H * � �
Feb 6, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Burke:
Heh...this is my first Mac, so I'm amped irregardless!
Welcome to the Macintosh world then!

Although I don't regret how much I've spent on them over the years, I'd be driving a Porsche instead of a VW if I hadn't.

kevcarl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 01:02 PM

While I agree it's always better to wait if you can (the same money gets you more 6 months from now), this is nothing new. But it's a wash sometimes. If you wait until G5s are released, and then you buy one, you face a different problem: buying the very first generation of a radically new machine. These first generation machines are riskier than the second or third revisions. It's safer to let them work the kinks out first. But that means you're waiting an outrageous amount of time.

Also, I don't think your suggestion about not buying G4s in order to pressure Apple to release a G5 sooner makes any sense. Don't you think they want to get a G5 PB out there as fast as humanly possible already? I don't think it's a question of them needing more motivation. They have technical hurdles to overcome, and that takes time. Personally, I want them to take that time and get it right, and not release a machine that has white spots on the screen, failing hard drives or failing logic boards. I'll wait an extra 6 months if it means I get a rock-solid G5 PB.

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 01:55 PM

Welcome to the Macintosh world then!

Although I don't regret how much I've spent on them over the years, I'd be driving a Porsche instead of a VW if I hadn't.
Hell, I'd have a Bentley with all the CPUs, RAM, hard disks, case fans and mods I've bought for my PCs!

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:

All you people that are perpetually waiting are either A) full of crap and have no money/intent to actually buy or B) need to stop waffling and just do it. I bougnt my book a week before MWSF and I didn't care. While all of you have been wringing hands on the Internet for the past x number of weeks/months/years I've been enjoying my Powerbook.

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 02:41 PM

I got a 15Al PB a few weeks after they were announced, after waiting about six months for their release. I had all the shipping delays and everything else that goes along with ordering anything. When it arrived it was perfect, after a few months spots, and uneven illumination. After having the screen replaced I STILL have uneven illumination. I am waiting now to see if they have found a real solution to the problem before i send it back again.

For all of you waiting for a G5 in a powerbook you are idiots. A G5 isnt 50% faster like some people in these forums claim. They will only be a little quicker. Only applications that take advantage of the 64 bit processor will be noticalby faster. And why in the hell would you want a G5 on your thighs. Think of the heat! not to mention the battery consumption. I am sure they will make their way into the PB line eventually, but come on, with the problems the 15AL PB had and continues to have. Why would they rush a G5 onto market??

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 08:41 PM

Solution for those who want a PB now...my brother just got the 12" combo refurb, and guess what? It came with 640 MBs of ram maxed out. nice for 1199. Runs Final Cut very crisply. Nice. Looks like that model is out, but check out the current offerings at the apple store.

>>>

Refurbished PowerBooks

Units subject to stringent refurbishment process prior to sale.

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished
Add
$1,399.00

PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT
Add
$1,549.00

PowerBook G4 1GHz/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/56K/17"TFT - Refurbished
Add
$2,199.00

APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
Add
$349.00

>>>>>

QuadG5 3.2 GhZ
2 gigs RAM
300 GB hard drive

jk...

dual 533 1.25gb
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD