Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Refurbished Dual 2.0 arrived!

Refurbished Dual 2.0 arrived!
robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 02:23 AM

After I saw the specs on the Rev. B PowerMacs, I ordered a refurbished Dual 2.0 for $1999. I placed my order on Thursday afternoon and I picked it up from the fedex office on Saturday morning. Free 2 day shipping made the wait a lot less painful. Kudos to fedex for 1. calling me this morning to make sure that I would be home later this evening to accept delivery and 2. arranging for me to pick up the computer at their holding facility and thus avoid a monday re-delivery attempt.

This G5 is replacing a Quicksilver 733 (no L3 cache) which I bought from Apple's edu store in 2002 for $1300.

Notes on Apple refurbished equipment---

This is my first Apple refurb purchase so i carefully examined the Powermac for any cosmetic problems.

There is a small nick (1 cm) on the case (left side panel) and several scratches on the bottom at it's feet (looks like it was pulled/ dragged from it's last home :-(. Other than those two problems the exterior is like new. The interior is completely clean.

Peripherals---
The keyboard wasn't wrapped in that clear sticky plastic stuff that Apple usually wraps things in so it was likely used once. There is one small scratch on the underside but other than that it is like new. All the extra cables (usb extender, power, vga adapter) are new. Apple also included a new mouse.

One really nice surprise--i thought this dual had 512 megs of RAM but 1 Gig came installed.

I was concerned about all of the posts regarding the noise of the Rev. A's. It's too early to say that i don't have the same problems but I can say that it is sooo much quieter than my Quicksilver. the fans did ramp up a bit just now but then they quickly quieted down. That could get annoying and it may be an issue that has been addressed w the Rev. B's.

Before this computer I thought I had a slow DSL connection but I now think that it was actually my old G4 processsor that was slowing up my web browsing. Scrolling web pages, which I believe largely uses CPU power, is so much faster with the G5.

Just a week ago, I didn't even consider a dual 2.0 because $3000 was just way out of my price league but now I have one right here in my bedroom for $1999. Apple has taken a lot of flak for the relatively meager updates to the Power Macs but one positive aspect is what the introduction of the new models did to the prices of refurbished Rev A's.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 03:08 AM

Congratulations!

I just took the plunge and ordered one. Only one problem so far: I have a $300 gift certificate toward the Apple store and they didn't ask me anything about it during the order process. (I guess I expected another screen). As such the entire $2k is on my credit card. Yuk. I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can fix this.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to upgrading my model-year 2000 G4 Cube (500Ghz).

I hope I get a gig of RAM too. :-)

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 06:22 AM

A free 512MB RAM... a very nice bonus I'd say!

Congrats on the machine!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 04:43 PM

I just found out that Apple won't accept my Apple Store gift card. (It has a $300 value)

Apparently the Apple Gift Cards can only be used in a physical Apple Store. (Which kind of sucks for me because I never buy at full retail ... I either get an educator discount or buy refurbs.)

Oh well ... maybe I'll go get a set of headphones or some such crap like that.

Question: Does anyone know what the Apple Return Policy regarding refurbished units are? (I tried to ask on the phone but they were transfering me around like a bad plague.) <-- Yes, this was my very first BAD Apple experience.

JCT
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2004, 06:22 PM

driven,

You can get the educational discount on most hardware purchases in the Apple retail store, I've done it in the past, just had to show my university ID.

There's probably something there you'd like

regards,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 07:08 PM

That's right ... now I remember, I just couldn't get the educator discount on BTO options.

What's the return policy on refurbs? Does anyone know?

robby818  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 07:19 PM

That is very strange about the gift cards only being redeemable in the physical stores.

The physical stores sometimes have refurbished/customer return units as well. the glendale store puts refurbs along w/ excess inventory on a sale table every last saturday of every month (i think that is the day). Sometimes you need to ask about the returns bec they are kept in the back. I bought my 20" lcd at the grove apple store and it was a customer return. I also returned a 17" iMac one time and a few days later I saw it on the sale table. one nice plus- you'll get to inspect it before your buy it.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jun 13, 2004, 08:37 PM

I bought my refurbished 23" Cinema Display at a physical Apple store for only $1699. While they wouldn't let me plug it into a PowerMac right then and there to check it out, they told me I could return it with no restocking fee anytime in the next 14 days for any reason. I asked "Even for a single dead pixel?" and the manager replied in the affirmative. Got it home, hooked it up, screen is absolutely flawless and I have been loving it ever since.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 09:09 PM

I'm going to be hooking mine up to my 17" Studio Display (LCD) that I've had since the day it came out. ($999 back then!) I've been using it on my Cube all these years and absolutely love it.

I'm not sure what I want to do with my Cube yet. The smart thing to do would be to sell it while I can get a good buck for it, although I really LOVE that thing. I was hoping Apple would have a suitable Cube replacement by now, but alas they don't. It's gotten so slow and I've transferred to much to my PC that if I don't replace it with a new Mac now I may end up not in the mac-world any longer. (We can't have that!) <GRIN>

Anyway: To robby818, congrats again on your purchase. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by driven:
Congratulations!

I just took the plunge and ordered one. Only one problem so far: I have a $300 gift certificate toward the Apple store and they didn't ask me anything about it during the order process. (I guess I expected another screen). As such the entire $2k is on my credit card. Yuk. I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can fix this.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to upgrading my model-year 2000 G4 Cube (500Ghz).
500Ghz, that's one hell of an upgrade.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

cbutter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 09:58 PM

Could you list exactly what came with the refurb. Like the newest iLife? Panther ? What cds. Was the box a retail box or a brown box. Was the packaging like retail?

I'm curious as I have one in the mail and I can't wait to get it!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 10:22 PM

Mine's on it's way as well.

I've never really gotten excited about waiting for a box before, but I'll admit to checking the FedEx tracking site on an hourly basis. <sigh> ... looks like it'll be Friday.

I don't dare tell my wife I'm excited about it. I'm the cheapest guy on the planet and it takes a mugging to get me to part with money. (I'm still debating if it's a want or need ... if it's the former I'll be obligated to send it back by my own rules.) We'll see ... but I'm excited as hell.

cbutter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 10:25 PM

Mine's due on Friday as well. Can't wait. Ordered 1gig kit from Crucial yesterday for $198. Will be here Wed. I too check my tracking all the time. I feel like I'm getting the deal of the century when just a week ago the same refurb was $2499.

H * � �
Jun 15, 2004, 10:50 PM

I just checked the Apple store, a 2Ghz DP refurb is currently 2.5G...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by H * � �:
I just checked. They are out of them again.
(I too feel like it's the deal of a century)

robby818  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by cbutter:
Could you list exactly what came with the refurb. Like the newest iLife? Panther ? What cds. Was the box a retail box or a brown box. Was the packaging like retail?

I'm curious as I have one in the mail and I can't wait to get it!
Shipped in a very heavy brown box ~ 59 pounds
Comes w iLife 2004 and System Restore disks

cbutter, Congrats on your purchase. I hope you like it as much as I do..

robby818  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by H * � �:
That may NOT be a refurb...it is likely NEW- apple made a mistake in the product description. The $1999 power macs were listed further down on the page.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 05:01 AM

Congratulations! I bought my refurbished Dual 2.0ghz in late January and I've been in love with it ever since! I upgraded from a 333mhz iMac! Talk about moving into the fast lane, it's nice knowing that NO MATTER WHAT comes along, your machine can run it with no problems. Mine also came in a plain brown box, but everyone where I work still made me open it up when it arrived, take it out, set it on the desk, and ooooh and ahhhh! I love it!

Good Luck!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by robby818:
Shipped in a very heavy brown box ~ 59 pounds
Comes w iLife 2004 and System Restore disks

cbutter, Congrats on your purchase. I hope you like it as much as I do..
Which OS did it come with?
Jag or Pant?

Also: Does the fact that a plain brown box will be there instead of the black one really bother anyone? My brand new Dell laptop (2002) came in a plain brown box.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by robby818:

One really nice surprise--i thought this dual had 512 megs of RAM but 1 Gig came installed.
I bought a refurbished Dual 2.0 GHz G5 in February. Cost $2400

My nice surprise was the Radeon 9800 in the machine instead of the stock 9600 card

Out of the box the machine started up with fans running full blast. Sounded like a jet engine taking off. I took the machine to the nearest Apple Store, and they said the processor thermal sensors needed recalibration, which they did overnight and under warranty. I bought AppleCare on the spot for the machine.

I normally do not buy AppleCare on desktop machines, but considering this was a refurbished unit that had a minor problem out of the box, I figured I better get it in this case.

Since they did the calibration, I have had NO problems with the machine whatsoever. I am very pleased. This replaced a Quicksilver 867 MHz G4.

Interestingly, the hard drive had 10.2.7 on it, but the restore disk it came with was the 10.3.0 (Panther) version.

bearcat2000
Jun 16, 2004, 10:57 PM

I think Apple is figuring out fast that these refurbs are the hot item. Mine came today with 1 GIG of RAM as well. Also...to my delight it had a 250 GB HD as well. I think I hit a home run! It looks like it is all new...even had plastic wrap on the side of the case. Simply awesome!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 11:13 PM

Wow ... now I'm praying that I get as lucky as you all did. Mine is sitting on a FedEx truck somewhere ... only 2 days left. :-)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by bearcat2000:
I think Apple is figuring out fast that these refurbs are the hot item. Mine came today with 1 GIG of RAM as well. Also...to my delight it had a 250 GB HD as well. I think I hit a home run! It looks like it is all new...even had plastic wrap on the side of the case. Simply awesome!
I doubt that Apple is doing it on purpose. When someone returns a BTO machine for whatever reason, they just refurbish it with whatever it came with. They advertise the stock configuration because it's easier than trying to set a standard price for each and every BTO combination available, and they don't advertise that you may get something better instead. Think of the configuration they display as the minimum you will get. You should never get anything less than that. Anything more is just "icing on the cake"

My machine had the plastic wrap on the side of the case too. I think they put that on all the refurbs.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 12:37 AM

I thought that you were explicitly not allowed to return BTO units.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by driven:
I thought that you were explicitly not allowed to return BTO units.
You're not. But there are still times when a machine has enough problems that it might just be easier to take it back, refurbish it and give the customer a new one...

Forum Links
Forum Rules