Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Remote Access 2 and Windows VNC

Apple Remote Access 2 and Windows VNC
NDBounce
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 12:06 AM

I am trying to configure Remote Access 2 to work on our network. I was able to connect to Mac running Remote Access Client without any real issues.

Getting the windows PC's to work is another story. I am starting with one PC and will add the others once I can confirm I can get the one to work.

Here is the basic issue I am having: I have the VNC Server software running on a PC (Win 2K). I can access that PC just fine from my Mac using VNC viewer. However, I can't seem to acces it at all from Apple Remote Desktop 2.

First the computer does not even appear in the list when I scan the locak network (it is on the same node as me, the my Mac (running ARD2) is IP 192.168.1.105 and the PC is 192.168.1.104)

When I manually enter the IP I see the computer, it says VNC next to it, but it is grayed out. To add it to a list, I am given the promt to enter a username/password. I VNC only has a password to my knowledge. I have currently the authentication set to "No Encryption or Authentication" on the PC.

Again, as I said, I have no difficulty seeing or accessing the PC using VNC Viewer on my Mac, which makes me assume I am doing someting wrong in ARD2. Any help would be appreciated.

For what it's worth the PC is running RealVNC.

Peace,

O
B unce!

H * � �
Jul 5, 2004, 10:48 PM

Using RealVNC 4.x with ARD 2.x?
Check the box on the RealVNC 4.x server that says `Only use protocol version 3.3'.

RangerJoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 11:23 PM

I'm new with this VNC stuff, but i tried using it, 'cause i often need to fix up my parents computer remotely, and remote administration logs them off when i log on remotely (winxp).

I installed tightVNC on the pc, just typed in a password, and was able to log on with apple remote desktop 2.

I had to type in the ip manually though, left the username blank, and typed in the password.

maybe you can try TightVNC?

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by RangerJoe:
I

maybe you can try TightVNC?

has anyone had success doing this with TightVNC?

Vagabond05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 05:07 PM

With ARD 2.1 it is no longer necessary to use Legacy 3.3 mode with RealVNC Server for Windows. Also, Tight VNC server works well too. If using any VNC Viewers to control a Mac running ARD, it may be necessary to turn off automatic settings, or possibly adjust color settings in the Viewer's options pane.

badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 05:34 PM

can you log onto a windows server [running tightvnc] in 8-bit color mode?

it always connected in full color , and it's completely too slow because of broadband.

Forum Links
Forum Rules