Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Firefox and dark themes

Firefox and dark themes
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 02:59 PM

So I was all excited to finally be able to use dark themes like NEOS (and Soot looks very nice too!) on a regular basis now that SS2 is out, fixing the text color problem. But after I loaded these themes up, I discovered that they leave Firefox crippled ... The buttons in Firefox use the light label color instead of the dark text color, making it impossible to tell what they say This is very unfortunate, as Firefox has replaced Safari as my default browser (it's faster, reads more pages properly, has plugins ...) and now it's become the final roadblock that keeps me away from using a dark theme. Anyone knows a fix to this?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 08:15 PM

Sure, exclude Firefoc or give Camino a try.

solbo
Nov 11, 2004, 09:50 PM

Make a dark colored theme for Firefox. A screenshot would be helpful.

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by aristotles:
Sure, exclude Firefoc or give Camino a try.
well then i'd be looking at an aqua titlebar in firefox, which i use all day long ... not a good fix. Camino does not have all the firefox features - i've tried it.
come at you rapidly

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by solbo:
Make a dark colored theme for Firefox. A screenshot would be helpful.
huh? do you mean i should make a theme for firefox? what do you want a shot of? i'm confused
come at you rapidly

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 11:29 AM

I have some firefox customization tips. Maybe they'd help. Look for the forum here with that title.

But, I'd really like SS to figure out how to theme FF and Thunderbird.

solbo
Nov 12, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
huh? do you mean i should make a theme for firefox? what do you want a shot of? i'm confused
Yes, you should make a dark theme for Firefox. I was being half sarcastic.

Post a screenshot of the problems with Firefox as it is right now and maybe someone can help you. It is hard to visualize what you are talking about.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 01:23 PM

Since you complained.... I installed NEOS (blue) and there is only one issue. And that's light blue text on white for the address bar and text boxes. I can still read it, however it's harder. Other than that no big issues. Keep in mind i have custom tabs, tab text colors and bookmark background. I'm sure I could customize the background of text boxes too but I don't love this theme enough to do that.

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
Since you complained.... I installed NEOS (blue) and there is only one issue. And that's light blue text on white for the address bar and text boxes. I can still read it, however it's harder. Other than that no big issues. Keep in mind i have custom tabs, tab text colors and bookmark background. I'm sure I could customize the background of text boxes too but I don't love this theme enough to do that.
Hey Twister, the simplest way to see what I was mostly complaing about is to apply a dark theme, open Firefox, go to Google and look at the "Google search" and "I'm feeling lucky" buttons - I can't read the text on them. Do you know what I have to put in my crome.css to change this color?
come at you rapidly

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 08:33 PM

Take a peek at the pretty widgets code or OSX widgets for firefox and you will see what to change for text fields (there are links @ twister's firefox customization page).

Forum Links
Forum Rules