Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Parked, Unlocked Car with Lights On

Parked, Unlocked Car with Lights On
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 06:17 AM

You see a parked, unlocked car with its lights on as you're walking down the street. Do you shut off the lights?

(this was supposed to be a poll, but the options page was "not found" by the hampstor)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 06:20 AM

To answer my own pseudo-poll, when this happened a few hours ago, I chose not to.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2011, 09:04 AM

A lot of the newer cars have relays that shut them off after a minute or so. We're even too lazy now to turn off headlights, and we're wondering why the Saudis have huge car collections. To answer the original question; no.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2011, 10:05 AM

There's no way to know it's unlocked unless you try the handle, then you risk looking like a car thief setting off an alarm. So sadly, I vote no.

If the car were at the car park at work, I'd take the plate number to security and they'd page the owner.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
A lot of the newer cars have relays that shut them off after a minute or so. We're even too lazy now to turn off headlights, and we're wondering why the Saudis have huge car collections. To answer the original question; no.
Lazy as we all are, I think in this instance its more about forgetfulness. Thats why they put the buzzers in for when you open your door with the lights still on. Its just one step further.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2011, 11:00 AM

My car, the lights don't work if the key isn't in the ignition.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I believe the relay on newer cars is for the interior lights. The headlights on my 2005 Colorado have a light sensor.
45/47

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2011, 11:32 AM

I'm going to have to agree: don't do it. As much as you'd be doing the other person a favour, there's a good chance your actions could be misinterpreted for trying to break into the car.

Cold Warrior
Nov 19, 2011, 12:45 PM

In a really small town this would probably be ok, but I wouldn't do it anywhere else. The owner could misinterpret it or a cop could. It's not worth the hassle.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 02:33 PM

Just some slight clarifications.

1) I knew it was unlocked because I could see all four door locks were up.

2) I knew it didn't have a relay setup because the lights were on both when I went to the store and when I came back.

Pertaining to 1, it's possible a jackass took advantage of that to turn the lights on in the first place.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 02:38 PM

The halfway high-tech solution, which occurred to me later, was to document my activities with my iPhone, starting with the fact the lights were on.

Still prolly not enough to make me do it, but it is an extra level of safety.

Ideally, you find a cop and get them to do it, but the donut shop was two blocks in the other direction.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
In a really small town this would probably be ok, but I wouldn't do it anywhere else. The owner could misinterpret it or a cop could. It's not worth the hassle.
100% agree on the owner, but the only way a cop would misinterpret it is if the owner told them or you had suspicious body language while you were doing it.

hayesk
Nov 19, 2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
100% agree on the owner, but the only way a cop would misinterpret it is if the owner told them or you had suspicious body language while you were doing it.
Unfortunately, I agree. Normally sane and courteous people turn into complete idiots with regard to their cars. I wouldn't.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 03:19 PM

That was exactly my thought. It's like ****ing with someone's horse.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2011, 05:38 PM

the only time I would ever do this is if I could reach in and turn it off through an open window, and it was an old enough car that the owner was probably hoping it would get stolen.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2011, 06:29 PM

I once passed a brand new BMW 5 series parked outside a house in my village which had the key left in the drivers door. (We are going back maybe 18 years here) It had a suit hanging in the back and some other stuff like maybe a briefcase in it too.

I thought about taking the keys out and knocking on the door of the house but like everyone here I thought that if someone saw me they would likely accuse me of trying to steal it. I knocked on the door and told them the keys were in it and they gave me a very odd look and weren't nearly as grateful as you might expect. I almost wished I'd taken it round the block for a jaunt.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I believe the relay on newer cars is for the interior lights. The headlights on my 2005 Colorado have a light sensor.
That sensor is for automatic headlights. There is still an electrical relay to automatically turn the lights off after a preset amount of time.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2011, 10:03 PM

1) You never know how your actions are going to be interpreted. The owner of the car might witness your kind act and beat/shoot first ask later.

2) You never know when its a real car with lights left on by mistake or a bait car trying to catch some one breaking into a car. I've never seen that as a tactic here but who knows.

On a lot of new cars they have a battery cut off that prevents the battery from going dead enough not to start the car. This applies for all power sources, accessories, interior lights and external lights. Takes a while to kick in. Older cars or cars with out that feature, the driver is just out of luck.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2011, 10:26 PM

This was definitely a banger.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2011, 11:32 PM

Is there no such thing as Entrapment in the US? Why don't the police just put up a sign saying "Weed $2/Kg". They'd catch plenty of idiots.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2011, 12:13 AM

There's no way I'm touching anyone else's car unless there's a baby left inside in the heat or it's slowly rolling down a hill into a river with an unconscious passenger.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Is there no such thing as Entrapment in the US? Why don't the police just put up a sign saying "Weed $2/Kg". They'd catch plenty of idiots.
They do, and that isn't entrapment. There's one show in particular that's kinda funny. They use a bait car, an Escalade with remote locks and an engine kill switch. The cops act out an argument or something, and people just get out of the SUV and leave it there.

Inevitably some schmuck decides they're going to steal it, and once they start driving, the doors lock and the engine quits. Then the cops arrest them. The excuses that people come up with are my favorite part.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

freudling
Banned
Nov 20, 2011, 01:11 AM

Stay the fxck away from people's cars, especially Americans. Americans and cars... like peanut butter and jam. Don't get stuck in that.

Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2011, 07:21 PM

What about announcing your intentions to the people walking by?

Forum Links
Forum Rules