Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Top Gear: Lotus Exige Vs. Apache Gunship

Top Gear: Lotus Exige Vs. Apache Gunship
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 12:05 AM

Another ifilm video. Lotus Exige being chased around a track by an Apache gunship that is trying to get a missile lock. I wish this show aired in the US. click here

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 12:11 AM

Even better with Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" playing in the background.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 12:40 AM

Ha! A car thats actually fit for Mr. Bond.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 20, 2005, 01:53 AM

Get the new DVD: TopGear Revved Up

There`s lots more crazy stuff.

They did something similar a few weeks ago with a Challenger 2 tank and a Land Rover.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal
I wish this show aired in the US.
It does. Top Gear is on the Discovery Channel Wednesday nights at 10pm.
Top Gear listings

In the last episode I watched, they played darts with cars. The cars were the darts and they launched them off a cliff with a compressed air cannon onto a bulls eye.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
It does. Top Gear is on the Discovery Channel Wednesday nights at 10pm.
Top Gear listings

In the last episode I watched, they played darts with cars. The cars were the darts and they launched them off a cliff with a compressed air cannon onto a bulls eye.
BBC version of Top Gear >>>>>>>>> Discovery Channel Edits
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 03:38 AM

man, those cars are awesome. I currently drive an MR2 now, which is a watered down "stepping stone" up to the lotus elise. The mid engine platform is an amazingly fun one to drive, and if a 130hp MR2 can be this fun, I can't begin to imagine how much fun a race-inspired lotus would be.

I'm debating on whether to buy a 91-93 acura NSX or a 2005 lotus elise as my next car in mid to late 2006. So tempting... so confusing.

ANyone want to buy a slightly used kidney?
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 03:45 AM

Loads of good stuff on Top Gear, another one on the military vs car theme was a few weeks ago when they drove an AMG55 SLK and Boxster S around an army training village while the army shot at them. And the cross Europe races, one in a fast car, the others on plane/train/boat.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
...while the army shot at them.
With what? Surely not live ammo? What were the rules? Live ammo would have been REALLY entertaining.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 04:11 AM

I'm sure the Apache could hit that Lotus. Give me a break. Plus, that show is so stupid. A freaking AC-130 could hit that Lotus.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 04:13 AM

Laser System - the driver wore an active jacket which announces when "Wounded"
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 04:24 AM

Another ifilm video. Lotus Exige being chased around a track by an Apache gunship that is trying to get a missile lock. I wish this show aired in the US. click here
Top Gear wasn't going to be aired in the US, as the networks didn't want to buy the UK version and repeat it over there like they do with most other countries round the world.

In the end the Discovery Channel payed the presenters 'Shitloads' of money to re-record ALL the links between the VT's using the words 'Gas', 'Trunk', and prices in $$.

I went down to the airfield where they film TopGear to be in the studio audience, and Mr Clarkson did nothing but bitch about the fact that he had to do everything again for the yanks!

Coincidentally, I had tickets to go and watch TopGear UK being filmed today, but my Brother has gone instead.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by as2
T
...using the words 'Gas', 'Trunk'
Before it was 'petro' and 'boot', right? Have to stay up on my UK terms.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I'm sure the Apache could hit that Lotus. Give me a break. Plus, that show is so stupid. A freaking AC-130 could hit that Lotus.
I believe the host said something about asking the Apache pilot to remain within the confines of the test track and he readilly admitted from a distance the chopper would have no trouble achieving missile lock.

That DOES kinda ruin it for me. It's sorta like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon when people began flying and defying gravity.

Meh!
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 05:01 AM

Or that dumbass race with an F-16 and a car... but the jet couldn't go airborne...

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
If I recall, the full showing of that episode had a second scenario, where the apache hid behind trees/hills from a much further range, then popped up above the foliage and almost immediately achieved missle lock on the lotus. sucks that they didn't show that part, though.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by kertong
If I recall, the full showing of that episode had a second scenario, where the apache hid behind trees/hills from a much further range, then popped up above the foliage and almost immediately achieved missle lock on the lotus. sucks that they didn't show that part, though.
Yep. It sure does. The whole downloaded segment here lasts 7:12 and, at the very end DOES include the missile lock and a realistic looking firing of a Hellfire missile at the car and the Lotus blowing up!

Waaay cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 07:49 AM

Anyone see them trying to destroy a Toyota pickup? I loved that one.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 10:03 AM

is that the one where the pickup gave them a *very* good run for their money? dropped it off a building or something if i remember correctly?

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
is that the one where the pickup gave them a *very* good run for their money? dropped it off a building or something if i remember correctly?
Yeah, and they left it in the sea and hit it with a massive iron ball along with various other things. They still managed to drive it into the studio after all that. Great episode.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:15 AM

man, those cars are awesome. I currently drive an MR2 now, which is a watered down "stepping stone" up to the lotus elise. The mid engine platform is an amazingly fun one to drive, and if a 130hp MR2 can be this fun, I can't begin to imagine how much fun a race-inspired lotus would be.

I'm debating on whether to buy a 91-93 acura NSX or a 2005 lotus elise as my next car in mid to late 2006. So tempting... so confusing.

ANyone want to buy a slightly used kidney?
NSX dude. No comparison. Elise's are toys. NSXs are cars.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Black Book
Yeah, and they left it in the sea and hit it with a massive iron ball along with various other things. They still managed to drive it into the studio after all that. Great episode.
The only lame part is that almost any pickup would have survived all that. The never hit the engine with the wrecking ball, and the building they blew up.. I mean, it was on the roof.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
NSX dude. No comparison. Elise's are toys. NSXs are cars.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:33 AM

The only lame part is that almost any pickup would have survived all that. The never hit the engine with the wrecking ball, and the building they blew up.. I mean, it was on the roof.
Did you see the piece? They set light to the thing and still managed to drive it afterwards.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:48 AM

Yeah, I saw it. It wasn't that amazing. They specifically never damaged the engine compartment very severely. Honestly I wish they would have done it with a domestic truck just to show all the import fan boys that almost any car can be reliable.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:52 AM

Honestly I wish they would have done it with a domestic truck just to show all the import fan boys that almost any car can be reliable.
We don't get your domestic trucks here. Apart from the Ford Ranger, which is crap.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 11:39 AM

I realize that. The problem is people watch that, and say OMG TOYOTAS ARE UNDESTRUCTABLE OMG THEY"RE SO RELIABLE!

Yeah. That's why my friend's camry died at 160k.

Point is, if they had used that wrecking ball about 2 feet lower and more towards the front, the thing would have been toast.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 12:14 PM

The Exige is fargin' awesome. I download all the new shows late Sunday night and watch them Monday when I get home from work. Best show ever.

The past week's convertible showdown in Iceland was great fun.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 12:47 PM

I realize that. The problem is people watch that, and say OMG TOYOTAS ARE UNDESTRUCTABLE OMG THEY"RE SO RELIABLE!

Yeah. That's why my friend's camry died at 160k.

Point is, if they had used that wrecking ball about 2 feet lower and more towards the front, the thing would have been toast.
I believe the background to the test was the fact that toyotas are used in almost every imaginable climate in the world by lots of different types of people and the destruction scenarios were used as an example of why they are so popular.

The top gear trials do rule, like racing from london to somewhere in europe in a ferrari or something against public transport including the TGV and the ferrari passing the guy who used public transport as he got off the bus and ran to the finish line.

I'm not even that into cars and i love to gear.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 12:47 PM

Double Post.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 20, 2005, 12:57 PM

Here are some screenshots from the show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oandrea.../text:topgear/
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cszar2001
Here are some screenshots from the show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oandrea.../text:topgear/
That was a good show with them trying to shoot the car...

I still like the VT's where they try and race Car vs Other Transport across the globe.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by as2
I still like the VT's where they try and race Car vs Other Transport across the globe.
That last one (car vs boat) raised a few complaints in this week's Radio Times (UK TV guide).

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 03:09 PM

Cars in general, and especially tv-shows about cars, are the most boring things ever created but Top Gear is different. Very entertaining. It probably has something to do that it's British.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

Complaints?? Why??

My brother is on his way back from this weeks filming -the guest is Chris Evans.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
Cars in general, and especially tv-shows about cars, are the most boring things ever created but Top Gear is different. Very entertaining. It probably has something to do that it's British.
And the fact that most car shows are complete ****, and they don't do any real work, they just get a new part from an aftermarket company and say 'golly this thing sure is pretty! It's available from so and so for only x dollars! Watch us install it! >snip<

Boy! That sure was easy!

"That's right Tim, and don't forget that you can get one at bla bla bla"

It's crap advertising disguised as a show. Blech.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
It's because they have Clarkson. He's an entertaining man. Top Gear went crap when he left for a while.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by as2
Complaints?? Why??
Something to do with Clarkson driving at high speed while he was tired, putting the lives of the public at risk, yadda yadda yadda.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 03:28 PM

Yes, if you want to see how crap Top Gear without Clarkson is, watch Fifth Gear on Channel 5 (UK). It's basically everybody who used to be in the old format Top Gear carrying on what they did, without Clarkson, and with adverts.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Something to do with Clarkson driving at high speed while he was tired, putting the lives of the public at risk, yadda yadda yadda.
Oh that's BS

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by as2
Oh that's BS
I agree.
Letters page, this week's Radio Times. Have a snort when you pop into Tesco.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 04:40 PM

Get the Elise. And a narrow, twisting, country road you can drive every day.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 04:52 PM

Ca$h you suck. And your friend does too, 160K for a Camry? Did he drive it with sand instead of oil? C'mon my friend's old 88 Camry had ZERO oil and still ran for two weeks before getting the oil change.

Toyota trucks rock, Dodge's always need new CV joints, Chevy's always have problems starting up, and Ford's have front end issues just like Dodge.

Best small-ish truck in the world - Toyota

I work with nothing but guys that own trucks. The ones that are the happiest either have the 40K Ford Diesel (International Engines baby!) or a Tacoma. The only US trucks (or anything for that matter) worth buying are the 1 ton chassis models (F250 SD) (3500) etc.. all the "lighter" model full size trucks go to sh!t real fast up here in the New England winters.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 04:59 PM

Just watched the episode with the Aston vs. train off the BBC site(thanks mojo2). Loving this show!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 05:03 PM

Just watched the episode with the Aston vs. train off the BBC site(thanks mojo2). Loving this show!
Yeah, that was one of the ones that got me hooked big time. When Clarkson gets his Ford GT, it's nothing but funny.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 05:15 PM

I once sold Acuras and anytime I had ANYONE who looked the part (bling bling, or that very casual but VERY OBVIOUS rolex while wearing jeans and a sweatshirt sort of thing) and showed any signs of interest in the NSX and it was off the showroom floor and out onto the freeway for a rather lengthy test drive.

The thing IS awesome. But I don't want anyone to think it is NECESSARILLY a wild ride.

Nope.

It is like being, if one can imagine this, in the arms of Superman while flying (shades of Lois Lane!). You are completely safe and feel secure that the car is well mannered and doesn't have any funny (dirty) tricks up his sleeve.

Yes, you always feel you are in control. But you also feel, and it's hard to describe having these simultaneous sensations, that the moment you say the word or, in the case of driving the NSX, with the merest touch of your foot to the gas, you very well COULD be in for the ride of your life! It IS VERY quick AND fast and exhilarating and serenely confident and so mild mannered you wouldn't hesitate letting your mum behind the wheel, just as long as you let her know that the thing is insane if you aren't careful.

But, and again it's hard to explain how these sensations can all be true at the same time, even if one DID get the thing up to some scary velocities, the car would act predictably and be as good to you as a car with that potential for speed, fun and danger could possibly be.

It's kinda like James Bond. You admire his smooth sophistication and in the right company he will do nothing to embarrass or surprise you. He's dependable and sure. But when the situation calls for brawn and guile, high performance, quick thinking and acting with style and confidence, he's the one you want.

Awesome car.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 05:20 PM

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Ca$h you suck. And your friend does too, 160K for a Camry? Did he drive it with sand instead of oil? C'mon my friend's old 88 Camry had ZERO oil and still ran for two weeks before getting the oil change.
That's total ****ing ********. No engine runs without oil, PERIOD. And no, it just died. Needed a rebuild. Why? I don't know. My girlfriend back in high school had an 89 Camry with 200k on it, with a new engine that was 30k old. Why? The last engine died.

Toyota does not equal godlike reliability. In fact, I'd say I see more honda's on the road than old toyotas.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 08:18 PM

That's total ****ing ********. No engine runs without oil, PERIOD. And no, it just died. Needed a rebuild. Why? I don't know. My girlfriend back in high school had an 89 Camry with 200k on it, with a new engine that was 30k old. Why? The last engine died.

Toyota does not equal godlike reliability. In fact, I'd say I see more honda's on the road than old toyotas.
I'd like to chime in here - my coworker's Toyota Camry (2000), with 67k miles on the clock, just died. It got some pretty bad rod knock, and the engine was toast.

It's not really a matter of WHO built the car, it's a matter of WHERE it was built. If I remember correctly (I could be wrong), recalls for the Toyota Camries shot up right as soon as they started building it in the US.

Go, UAW.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 11:06 PM

fifth gear might suck but it does have the distinct advantage of featuring a hottie.

sminch

Forum Links
Forum Rules