Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iphoto 5 raw handling....

iphoto 5 raw handling....
action
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 10:51 AM

hi folks,

i exported my iphoto library into iphoto5 and everthing is working fine. however, i started to download raw files from canon 20d and it slows down my system to the point of being very annoying.

i'm on a dual 2.0 g5 with 9800 pro se mac edition. i downloaded about 20 raw images and scaling and selecting images is a drag. it takes about 1 to 2 seconds before commands respond. this doesn't seem so bad but it's for each command. select have to wait, click on it you have to wait etc....

so to manipulate each image in anyway you have to wait and makes the raw funtion almost unusable.

is anyone else using a different type of raw file with no issues? is this a canon thing? is something wrong with my setttings?

any input is appreciated.

no other issues with iphoto5 or any other application.

chung lee

suthercd
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 12:24 PM

I have not seen this with iPhoto5. Using a G4 15" 1 Ghz Powerbook and downloading 20 7-8 MB RAW image files from a Canon G6, the bottleneck I find is the USB speed. As iPhoto was building its database and processing the files, I was able to work in 5 other apps without any sort of slowdown. Looking in Terminal at the top command output, the iPhoto load was consuming between 11% and 22% of the CPU. Once iPhoto was completed with the processing, rotating RAW images, zooming, etc. in the iPhoto window was quick. I then hooked up a 20" Cinema display and noticed no difference in speed. The processing capability of the powerbook is way below what you have available, so I wonder if there is a cache that is causing the slowdown.

My test was a fresh download from camera, not an import of an old lib.

Craig

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 12:39 PM

Are you dragging CRWs into iPhoto 5 from a location elsewhere on your HD? That's very odd since it should be faster than importing from a camera.

On a related matter, I had no problem importing NEFs from camera although it felt marginally slower than importing with my regular application (Nikon View). That said, iPhoto does funny things with RAW files:
1. Creates a JPEG copy (moves original NEF to "Originals" folder).
2. Creates another copy if image was shot vertically (moves horizontal JPEG to "Originals" folder).
3. A JPEG copy of a NEF is created even if you didn't do any editing, but merely double-clicked on a NEF for viewing (convenience).
4. Seems to be "working" with JPEG copies of NEFs instead of original NEFs when doing editing using built-in "dashboard".

Very annoying. I am sticking with iView Media Pro.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 03:50 PM

thanks for the input. there seems to be a major slowdown somewhere.

i'm downloading jpegs+raw directly into iphoto5 via cf firewire cardreader. the download is very fast.

however, after download when i try and resize the iphoto window or try and use the application in anyway there is delay that never existed.

when i try and manipulate the raw file in anyway ie resize crop or just even clicking on it there is major slowdown and i get the spining beachball on occasion.

it isn't the file size that's a problem since i have much larger jpegs in my iphoto library. the raw's were recent direct downloads via firewire cf reader and not imported albums from a previous version.

ok at least i get a sense that the raw format in of itself is not causing the issues. i will run some basic maintenence and see if that changes anything.

chung lee

Forum Links
Forum Rules