Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > tsunami pictures

tsunami pictures
FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:12 PM

I wonder what it would have looked like on the beach that morning just before the big waves struck the shore. May be like this if one had binoculars:

who is going to get the real pictures of the wall of water coming at them though first?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0508678.htm?1c
( Last edited by FulcrumPilot; Dec 27, 2004 at 06:23 PM. )
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:03 PM

except that it was supposily going 500 mph. that would make it very hard to capture

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
except that it was supposily going 500 mph. that would make it very hard to capture

Help! my head is bleeding!
_,.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0508678.htm?1c
Your link requires registration. Homey don't play that.

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Posted on Mon, Dec. 27, 2004
Click here to find out more!

Hunt Is on for Dramatic Tsunami Pictures

DAVID BAUDER

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Besides grateful relatives, tourists returning from Asian countries struck by the killer tsunami are likely to be met by news agency representatives hunting for video of the cataclysmic event.

"There will still be, I think, the definitive shot, the wall of water," Sandy MacIntyre, director of news for Associated Press Television News in London, said Monday.

American TV networks have been rushing reporters and camera crews to countries affected by the disaster. As they cover the aftermath, there's also an intense effort to find video of the event as it happened, to convey the awesome power of the natural phenomenon.

APTN is competing fiercely with another news agency, Reuters, to acquire video. APTN producers were sent to six airports in Europe and Asia on Monday to ask tourists if they had captured the scene on their home video cameras, MacIntyre said.

CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC covered the story heavily Monday, often running the same video clips over and over.

The most arresting shot was taken from the roof of a building at Pa Tong beach in Thailand, showing a giant wave crashing into the shore and spilling into buildings and onto streets. It was taken by an Australian tourist and acquired by an Australian television station as soon as he arrived in Sydney, said Anna Murray, an APTN news editor.

Another frequently seen clip showed a pool overrun by a wave, with terrified sunbathers trying to run away. It was shot by a tourist in Sri Lanka, Murray said. Another shot shows a different pool being overtaken by ocean water pouring in from over a hill.

News agencies must depend on amateurs for this video. Many may still be traumatized by the event and may not realize what they caught on camera, MacIntyre said.

"Obviously there weren't news crews staking out the beaches," said Chuck Lustig, ABC News director of foreign news.

Like the steadily climbing death toll, the story should continue to unfold over the next several days.

"There are still places where journalists haven't been yet - or even relief agencies and government workers," Lustig said.
_,.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
Posted on Mon, Dec. 27, 2004
Click here to find out more!

Hunt Is on for Dramatic Tsunami Pictures

DAVID BAUDER

Associated Press
(snip)
Thanks

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:22 PM

NZer tells of 'wall of foam, sand and white water'
28 December 2004

"What was coming towards us was a wall of foam, sand and white water," recounts New Zealander Michael Clark who was on a cruise off a small low-lying island in the Maldives on Sunday morning when a powerful tsunami rocked southeast Asia.

"It hit the island and went literally over the island and into the lagoon. Then it decided to come towards us."

Officials in the Indian Ocean archipelago believe 52 people drowned and 70 people are missing after the tidal waves which struck about 10.30am local time. Six of the Maldives 200 inhabited islands have been evacuated.

The small cruise ship, which Mr Clark works as a crew member on, was about half a nautical mile off the atoll, south of the capital Male, when he noticed a surge in the lagoon water he initially thought was caused by a freak wave.

"There was a wall of water, only about two-feet tall, but there was an incredible amount of water behind it surging forward," he told National Radio via satellite telephone.

"It literally sucked all the water inside the atoll out to sea again and then it came back in again about three times."

The wave washed over the tiny island, which was about 120m by 40m and used by resorts as a picnic spot, he said.

"There was a lot of furniture on the island and it all got washed out so there were tables and chairs and people's personal effects. Things were washed around all over the place."

The six island residents managed to get safely to a house which was raised out of the reach of the water.

Mr Clark's ship was now moored outside its base on the eastern side of the island group.

"We can't refuel, we've got no food and we can't go anywhere either."
------------------------

That gives you some more imagery. It seems like it wasn't one huge wave, it must have been more like a solid wall of water moving in, like described above.
_,.

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:32 PM

_,.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
No, no. The Tsunami goes at that speed in the open ocean, with a small amplitude. As it approaches the shore, it slows down considerably, and its amplitude rapidly increases (to around 10 meters from the surface in this case).
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

spatterson
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 01:28 AM

Very, very sad :-(

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 01:00 PM

A terrible scary situation.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 01:11 PM

I saw video of it hitting a resort in Thailand. It was weird. At first it looked like the ocean w was driven in by wind, like a hurricane but then I watched palm trees get uprooted and cars tossed around like toys and I was...was...just awestruck.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I saw it in the French news, bodies thrown everywhere. Quite sad.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 06:49 PM

wow those are good pictures, not what I expected at all though. I thought it would be a huge wall of water like in the 1st post.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 07:00 PM

Link to some of the movies.

Just imagine you're swimming at the beach when this happens. How awful...

http://jlgolson.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-video.html

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2004, 07:02 PM

I've no doubt that what a tsunami looks like as it approaches shore is absolutely nothing like what Hollywood has taught us it looks like. Isn't the typical image we have of waves:

caused by wind?

It's not unlike the image we had of airplanes crashing into buildings before 9/11. The Hollywood image of that event would have had the plane crashing into the side of the building, exploding dramatically and leaving a huge gaping crater; as opposed to the actual event with the plane getting swallowed by the building and leaving a relatively small hole (not much bigger than the plane itself) I was almost as shocked by how the planes just disappeared into the buildings as I was by the event itself.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 06:12 AM

Bodies of victims of the tsunami that hit on Sunday lie on Khao Lak beach, about 900 km south of Bangkok.
Terrible.

Amazing satellite photos: http://www.digitalglobe.com/sample_imagery.shtml

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 10:47 AM

tsunamis don't break like normal waves. their wavelength is too long. it's just a big surge.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 11:22 AM

^The m4n from Hawaii would know.
Speaking of which, if you ever find yourselves in Hilo, Hawaii, check out the little Tsunami Museum; it's worth a visit.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 11:27 AM

i just lived there. i'm home now where i grew up. ithaca.

and the 1946 tsunami was something else. there are stories floating around the island of this guy who saw his house floating out into the surf, swam out there, grabbed some personal effects and then surfed back in on a plank from his floor.

all over hawaii on the coast are these huge green and yellow sirens for the tsunami warning system. what most people don't understand is that you just have to go uphill about 50ft to totally avoid the brunt of it. though if you happen to live on an atoll you're pretty screwed.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool how they had these marker posts along the hilly shore in Kauai: "Climb above this marker to be safe during a tsunami warning".

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I've no doubt that what a tsunami looks like as it approaches shore is absolutely nothing like what Hollywood has taught us it looks like.
No doubt about it: Hollywood special effects are almost invariably absurd and violate all known laws of physics. Tsunamis don't have to be mile high monsters to kill large numbers of people. Babies drown in toilet bowls for crying out loud.

A huge swell of water 10 feet high and hundreds of feet deep is going to knock people over and move cars and large objects around. It angers me how idiotic and apathetic many of those amateur video shooters sound as they "ooh" and "ahh" at the crashing waves. The swollen waters may not look like much from the upper stories of a reinforced concrete hotel, but three feet of fast moving water can quickly sweep a person off his feet and drown him. Each of those videos is probably capturing the invisible deaths of dozens if not hundreds of beachgoers submerged under tens of feet of incoming ocean.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 06:26 PM

The movie below is one of the scarier ones I've seen of the tsunami. You'll need VLC to view it.

It was taken at beach level and the people didn't run until it started breaking on the shore.

Option-click (won't run within the browser). It may take a couple of minutes to download.

koh_lanta_thailand.avi

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2004, 07:46 PM

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2004, 07:53 PM

HOLY SH*T!

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 01:01 PM

Must see before and after pictutes. You see entire cities swept off the face of the earth.

Tsunami Before & After

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:
Must see before and after pictutes. You see entire cities swept off the face of the earth.

Tsunami Before & After
Those digitalglobe pics are amazing.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Images snipped
Wow those are really good photos

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
An FYI for future reference:

http://www.bugmenot.com/

Lets you get around sites that require registration (not for money-making, but for tracking purposes. It's not a way to steal, but to maintain privacy).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2005, 11:14 PM

It is astonishing that the mother you see here running into the surf to warn her children survived, as well as her children! It looks like they are doomed...I found this news link:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...274460,00.html

Originally posted by Face Ache:

----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
It is astonishing that the mother you see here running into the surf to warn her children survived, as well as her children! It looks like they are doomed...I found this news link:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...274460,00.html
I'm glad they are ok... It would be horrible if they didn't survive

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 04:19 AM

Who's the babe in the picture? Hope she made it out as well.

Siggi_arni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 07:59 AM

Siggi Árni

argod
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 12:55 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules