Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBookPro with LCD TV (1366 x 768) via DVI/hdmi?

MacBookPro with LCD TV (1366 x 768) via DVI/hdmi?
TOONA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hi there,
I am currently in the market for a big screen LCD or plasma TV. I would ultimately like to use my macbook pro as a media center for playing MP3s, MP4s, surf the web using the TV as the monitor. The units i'm looking at are all 42-46 inch TVs, but have a max resolution of 1366 x 768. I have a DVI to HDMI cable, and if possible, i'd like to keep the connection digital. Before I take the plunge, do any of you have any experience doing this? how will the picture look on the TV, and what resolution? Are there any programs out there that can make the resolution (aspect ratios) match the MBP resolutions? Thanks in advance. I tried "search" but didn't come up with anything.

SeattleWRX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 06:21 PM

If you want to use your LCD/plasma mostly for computing you may want to lean in the direction of LCDs. They have no burn in problems which aren't as large of a concern for plasmas as they used to, but still is. I believe your LCDs should be able to do a decent resolution but I'm not sure if it would match it.

pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 07:49 PM

If you are going to use a hd source, lcd's will give crisper results, which is more legible when you have small text on screen. Plasmas on the other hand will give you a better refresh rate (no ghosting at all) and a better colour reproduction as well as better blacks, making them better for video. I would say your best bet will be a late plasma panel capable of displaying 1080 p, (1920x1200) if you can afford them

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 12:46 PM

I connected my MBP to a 37" LG LCD TV with 1366 x 768 res. As long as your MBP is set to the native res of the LCD TV (1366x768 will be listed on the MBP upon connection), it will look fine.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

spice003
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2006, 01:22 AM

i wouldn't use dvi to hdmi cable, i had bad experience with it. go fo a LCD tv with a dvi connection. plasmas look kind of shitty with a comp. now the tv question, if i were you i would look at some dell plasmas like at the mall or something. i know dells are gay, but they make them a certain way so the look good with a computer plugged in. also go to like bestbuy or compusa/goodguys the usually have computers plugged in to the tv so you can see what you like, Sharp aquos are good i personally had Aquos 32" works great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules