Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > What do y'all think of a WoW subforum?

What do y'all think of a WoW subforum?
blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2005, 05:52 PM

Post comments on whether this forum would be better off (or not) with a WoW subforum. If the situation warrants, I'll bring it to the attention of the admins.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2005, 06:11 PM

Dear God please! I'm so sick of WoW post after WoW post...

Sure, the rest of the forum would be dead, but at least I don't have to look at all that WoW garbage.

Thanks!
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by The iMac Man

Sure, the rest of the forum would be dead, but at least I don't have to look at all that WoW garbage.

Thanks!
"Have to look".... I guess your browser works differently than mine. Mine makes me choose which topics to read.

No. The forum is "mac games". If there was MORE THEN ONE DECENT GAME for macs, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Even with all the WoW threads, there are still posts more than a month old on the main page. It's not like new WoW threads are bumping off important topics, there are no important topics.

There is nothing "controversial" about WoW, the blizzard forums completely suck (you can't search and find anything), and there are things unique to WoW on a Mac that the windows folks can't help with. The problem isn't WoW threads, the problem is people who can't RESIST READING/REPLYING to a thread.

What's going to keep the problem posters out of the new sub-forum?

The way I see it, If someone comes into the "applications" forum and just keeps going "iTunes sucks! Only losers in their parents basements use iTunes!!", or "Only idiots would use Mac OS!" what would happen to that poster? Right, you would show them the door. Why are the rules different in the games forum?
( Last edited by AKcrab; Nov 14, 2005 at 07:02 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2005, 06:52 PM

I vote no, just to annoy people who are unduly sensitive to topics relating to WoW.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 07:02 PM

I agree with AKcrab. I feel like the only reason to have an off-shoot forum is if a certain topic is drowning out all the other topics. And while the majority of topics in the game forum are WoW related, the non-WoW topics are few and far between. Like AK said, those posts aren't being pushed off the main page by the WoW topics, so I don't see a problem.

Now if there was a way to keep out the "problem posters" then I'd be all for a separate WoW forum. But what I see happening is those people who have issues with WoW topics will just jump in that forum and disrupt just as if there was no special forum.

So I vote no.

TheDeathman
Nov 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

WoW just happens to be a Mac GAME, and pretty much the only Mac game at the moment(depending on who you ask), thus it should remain in the Mac GAMES forum.

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
"Have to look".... I guess your browser works differently than mine. Mine makes me choose which topics to read.

And apparently you don't understand the difference of "having to look" at a topic, and actually reading it.

I didn't say anything about reading them.... I just plain don't even want to see them.

Seriously, I could post a ton of different threads about "How will Call of Duty run on my iMac" or "Do you prefer the British or American campaign more?" or on and on and on... but I don't, because I have more of a life than that.
-iMac

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2005, 10:36 PM

I didn't say anything about reading them.... I just plain don't even want to see them.
Childish.
Seriously, I could post a ton of different threads about "How will Call of Duty run on my iMac" or "Do you prefer the British or American campaign more?" or on and on and on... but I don't, because I have more of a life than that.
So, why do you come to the games forum? You don't want to discuss games cause you have "more of a life than that", why even stop in?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 10:43 PM

Thanks!
Agreed.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab

No. The forum is "mac games". If there was MORE THEN ONE DECENT GAME for macs,
Wrong. XIII, Gooball, UT2k4, Doom3, Call of Duty, Collin McRae 2005 (soon), and quite a few others. There's a whole world of games outside of WOW and your parent's basement.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 10:48 PM

Tell you what WOW fans, iMac Man and I will post a C.O.D. topic every night for the next 30 nights, and most of them will be repetitive such as asking how COD will run on oh.. say... my 12" powerbook, stuff like that. Deal?

PS: Having a WOW subforum would increase the percentage of WOW into a single forum with NOTHING but WOW topics! What could be better! You could spend 5 hours playing WOW, then read about other people playing WOW, and then go play a few more hours before bedtime and your parents want you to turn off that racket!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Tell you what WOW fans, iMac Man and I will post a C.O.D. topic every night for the next 30 nights, and most of them will be repetitive such as asking how COD will run on oh.. say... my 12" powerbook, stuff like that. Deal?
They aren't all posted by the same people, genius. If that many people wanted to post Call of Duty threads, I would say let them. Unlike some people, I don't cry like a little girl just because somebody posted about a game they like and I don't.
Chuck
___

blizzard  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2005, 12:01 AM

Let's phrase the question differently.

If having a WoW subforum meant Rob and iMac Man didn't post in all the threads about how stupid they think WoW is, would that change anyone's mind?

Keep in mind it's impossible to really ban someone from the forum. It's been tried before. I need to find a solution that keeps everyone happy. And if anyone has any ideas other than 'ban the infidels' or 'torch the WoW servers', I'm all ears.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 12:06 AM

Honestly, I'm OK either way. I don't mind their trolling. It's kind of endearing. But if it's making your job too hard, feel free to create a WoW forum. (Then after a few weeks, there will be nothing to read here and Rob will stop coming by and you can recombine them)
Chuck
___

blizzard  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2005, 12:09 AM

If having a WoW subforum meant Rob and iMac Man didn't post in all the threads about how stupid they think WoW is, would that change anyone's mind?

Keep in mind it's impossible to really ban someone from the forum. It's been tried before. I need to find a solution that keeps everyone happy. And if anyone has any ideas other than 'ban the infidels' or 'torch the WoW servers', I'm all ears.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 12:22 AM

I say yes. It may draw more people to the site.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 12:41 AM

I would say yes. I would like more of an opportunity to talk about it with the sorts of people we have around here ... rather than the sorts of people we have at the worldofwarcraft.com forums . And it would be better without interruptions, and without getting in the way of others' pursuits of non-WoW topics.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ
I would say yes. I would like more of an opportunity to talk about it with the sorts of people we have around here ... rather than the sorts of people we have at the worldofwarcraft.com forums .
Or we might just bring the curse of the O Rly bird here!
Chuck
___

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2005, 09:56 AM

No single thread started by the two WoW-hater trolls except to flame more on first page, and not much constructive replies that I could find. They just have some troll-attitude toward WoW, and they enjoy doing it, so I have the feeling that a WoW subforum would mean a paradise for them, a full forum to troll in!

Dunno, I find this situation so silly to waste time even discussing it, including this very reply of mine

jeffB
Nov 15, 2005, 11:52 AM

leave it the way it is, i liked watching the imac man go from cod fanboy to forum troll

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by blizzard

I really don't think creating another forum will stop the little troll buddies from destroying every thread they can. I don't think they have the will power to not enter a forum that they apparently have no interest in and completely ruin it. Its what they do. And they're good at it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I really don't think creating another forum will stop the little troll buddies from destroying every thread they can. I don't think they have the will power to not enter a forum that they apparently have no interest in and completely ruin it. Its what they do. And they're good at it.
True. I'm guessing The iMac Man will probably come in and complain about how much he hates having to look at the WoW forum, and Rob will just make stupid "Paladin +5" jokes — just like it is now.

But we could try it and see.
Chuck
___

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 03:34 PM

These attitudes people are showing here is exactly why I don't like the type of people who play WoW. Grow up kids.

I can promise you, if you toss all the WoW threads into their own forum, I will never wander into that hell-hole.
-iMac

jeffB
Nov 15, 2005, 03:43 PM

A) shouldn't you be going negative in a hob server?
B) you're telling people to grow up after you try to ruin every wow thread there is? awesome.

jeffB
Nov 15, 2005, 03:48 PM

its not like i bring up how quickly CoD died after activision stopped donating cpl prize money for it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 03:53 PM

These attitudes people are showing here is exactly why I don't like the type of people who play WoW. Grow up kids.
We aren't the ones who can't stand WoW threads corrupting their precious Internet forum and are uncontrollably driven to flame other people's interests just because we don't share them. Look in the mirror, dude.
Chuck
___

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 04:09 PM

I vote: Yes.

The flooding of WOW (only) related topics the last months drowns out the rest. Please make a WOW sub-forum.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jeffB
A) shouldn't you be going negative in a hob server?
B) you're telling people to grow up after you try to ruin every wow thread there is? awesome.

A) What?

B) EVERY WoW thread... really? Apparently you haven't read EVERY WoW thread.
-iMac

jeffB
Nov 15, 2005, 04:37 PM

A) it was a cheap insult implying you're bad at heat of battle.
B) oddly enough, i haven't read every wow thread, but every post of yours i've read was clearly trolling. i don't have to look very far, scroll up to the 2nd post. thank you for your patronage.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 07:01 PM

yay! subforum! it will keep all the WoW, and all the gaming; separate!

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeffB
A) it was a cheap insult implying you're bad at heat of battle.
B) oddly enough, i haven't read every wow thread, but every post of yours i've read was clearly trolling. i don't have to look very far, scroll up to the 2nd post. thank you for your patronage.
A) Cheap insult = stupid comment. And, you've obviously never seen me play HoB.

B) Then you obviously have no purpose commenting on me making comments in EVERY WoW thread.

The only WoW thread I made nasty comments in was one where someone was asking about some sort of high score. And, no one ever answered his question, so I was obviously RIGHT in suggesting he asked somewhere more appropriate. Thank you.
-iMac

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 09:48 PM

I can promise you, if you toss all the WoW threads into their own forum, I will never wander into that hell-hole.
Ditto, unless I wanted advice on how to enchant a fire dragon in order to gain teh amulet of gondor! NYAR!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 09:58 PM

Ditto, unless I wanted advice on how to enchant a fire dragon in order to gain teh amulet of gondor! NYAR!
I'm sorry, iMac Man. I am forced to admit that we WoW players are the immature ones here.
Chuck
___

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I'm sorry, iMac Man. I am forced to admit that we WoW players are the immature ones here.

That guy is a level 600 Trillion Wizard with healing abilities and the staff of the underworld! HAhahAhaa

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 10:10 PM

Also, could Lateralus be a mod of this new forum?

Yellow Stars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 10:21 PM

YES! This is a godsend, just like the Type R sticker that made my iMAC faster!!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 12:26 AM

That guy is a level 600 Trillion Wizard with healing abilities and the staff of the underworld! HAhahAhaa
Coincidentally, I gave my staff of the underworld to your mom just last night.
Chuck
___

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 12:56 AM

Please stop the WoW threads... make them stop...

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 01:28 AM

Coincidentally, I gave my staff of the underworld to your mom just last night.
So did that give you more XP points?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 02:00 AM

I vote no for a seperate WoW Forum. Just drop the silly notion of this forum having anything to do with any other Mac game available and change the name of this forum to WoW. Then put up a sticky with posting guidelines of:
1) No non-WoW related discussions allowed. This is not a gaming forum! This is a WoW forum!
2) Instead of replying to post, please be sure to post an entirely new thread each time.
3) Never use the Search feature. It makes the Baby Jesus Cry.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 02:59 AM

Let's just say she had plenty of experience herself.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 05:36 AM

I vote no. Let's rather have three forums one for the one current mac games (well, that will be WoW) and one for has-beens (XIII - 2003, UT2k4 - 2004, Call of Duty - 2003, Colin McRae 2005 - well, january 2005, coming soooooon for the mac ).

Come on! Lets face it, macs suck for games. And racing games suck on computers in general.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jeffB
Nov 16, 2005, 10:52 AM

A) Cheap insult = stupid comment. And, you've obviously never seen me play HoB.

B) Then you obviously have no purpose commenting on me making comments in EVERY WoW thread.

The only WoW thread I made nasty comments in was one where someone was asking about some sort of high score. And, no one ever answered his question, so I was obviously RIGHT in suggesting he asked somewhere more appropriate. Thank you.
A) yes i have, it was amusing

B) ORLY?
I was under the impression that you said:
Whatever.

If someone wants to post about how much they like the game, and brag about being a level whatever in looserville, then they can do it in an existing thread.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=274189

YARLY

jeffB
Nov 16, 2005, 10:54 AM

We aren't the ones who can't stand WoW threads corrupting their precious Internet forum and are uncontrollably driven to flame other people's interests just because we don't share them. Look in the mirror, dude.
p.s.
quoted for truth.
q.e.d.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
2) Instead of replying to post, please be sure to post an entirely new thread each time.
3) Never use the Search feature. It makes the Baby Jesus Cry.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 12:17 PM

Let's just say she had plenty of experience herself.
You are so lame. No wonder you play WOW. Your mom jokes?! Baahhahhahaha.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 01:37 PM

You are so lame. No wonder you play WOW. Your mom jokes?! Baahhahhahaha.
Hey, I didn't want to make you feel bad about your paladin jokes, so I couldn't go with anything too clever.
Chuck
___

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by blizzard

Sure. If it will get rid of the trolling idiots (Ca$h and iMac Man), I'm all for it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 02:42 PM

No, but I'm sure you felt strange sleeping by yourself for the first time in 28 years.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 02:49 PM

No need for seperate sub-forums

Forum Links
Forum Rules