Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why no... Star Trek: Picard thread?

Why no... Star Trek: Picard thread?
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2020, 08:28 AM

So all 10 episodes over now. Trying to stay spoiler free.

I must say I absolutely loved it. (well until the last 15 mins of e10 anyway). It's been a proper update to Trek and also a lovely paen (yes spellcheck that IS a word) to the TNG and other characters. Adult without being "adult". Stewart was really allowed to flesh out his portrayal of Picard (well he was an exec producer).

A whole raft of TNG characters got to round out their stories, especially Troy/Riker although Word didn't seem to do so well, and Seven.

Will happy sit down and rewatch in order to soak up any bits I missed.

Shame the ending really didn't live up to the originality of the rest of the series.
Thoughts?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2020, 09:15 AM

I’ll try to be vague to keep spoilers to a minimum.
I really liked the premise, but it did not live up to its potential. The old characters were great, they slipped right back in.

My main criticisms are two-fold: the story unfolded too quickly and some characters were just way too short-lived. The pace accelerated over the last few episodes, and was so quick at the end that I didn’t even get parts of the story. The last two episodes in particular felt so rushed that I couldn’t keep up. I really like the story involving a retired Riker family. Right now, the universe feels completely unexplored. Why are the XBs where they are? What happened to them? Why don’t some of them go back to their home worlds? How did the Rangers come about? How are they organized? I would have liked if they took twice as many episodes to tell this story.

The second point is just the ending: either you are serious about making this bold move, but then you should do it. Or don’t touch it.

Oh, and what is up with pseudo-tech? Discovery had its stupid spore drive, what’s up with space orchids. That’s just dumb, Star Trek is supposed to be a scifi show where technology plays a major role.

If they had asked me to make a story here that starts with the same idea, I would have made bits less extreme (not every character needs to have had a severely traumatizing event) and explored the universe more. It would have helped to get one’s bearing, and understand how the Federation evolved from where it was when DS9 and Voyager ended to where it is now. I would have dialed back the super drama a bit, and added more nuance.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Mar 28, 2020, 09:59 AM

I’d love to see it, but I’m not real keen on subscribing to yet another damned streaming service. It’s getting kind of ridiculous.
(Picard was only available in the US via CBS' own streaming service. Outside the US, it was on Prime.)
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:41 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2020, 11:04 AM

CBS is the killer.

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2020, 11:06 AM

Here in Japan it is on Amazon Prime. Weirdly enough, Discovery is on Netflix.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2020, 11:24 AM

Oh, you mean on services people actually want.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2020, 02:27 AM

This will spoil the whole thing.

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2020, 07:49 PM

I am hoping to watch soon; there is the free preview but I wanted the kids to see TNG first. They are more star wars kids and aren't that keen. Perhaps TOS was a mistake... we never even got as far as The Trouble with Tribbles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules