Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 19)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 30, 2021, 04:00 PM

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 30, 2021, 05:40 PM

Never thought I'd get to use these again:

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 31, 2021, 10:47 AM

But how’s your 5G? Mine has been lousy, despite plenty of time since the injection for the setup to be done....

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 2, 2021, 08:17 PM

I just got my second injection, so if upload speeds don't improve soon I'm demanding some kind of refund.

OreoCookie
Apr 3, 2021, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
I just got my second injection, so if upload speeds don't improve soon I'm demanding some kind of refund.
I'm still waiting for the improved Bill Gates chip with the Japanese localization.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 3, 2021, 04:22 AM

Got my first shot Friday. Pfizer. No side effects yet.

If I get the ability to fly out of this, I'm going to give the shots guy a fat bonus.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 4, 2021, 10:11 AM

The county will be offering the J&J shot at my work. Based on the rumblings and grumblings I'm hearing, I suspect the take rate is going to be pretty low. Lots of speaking in low voices about Vaccine Passports (I assume Fox must have covered them recently) and still lots of talk about how the election numbers magically changed to favor Democrats overnight, and also reinforcing the old social media fake news about a ballot dump.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 4, 2021, 02:28 PM

A workplace full of conspiracy theorists. There's gotta be a way to monetize this. Maybe you could sell guaranteed-to-work tinfoil hats?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2021, 03:17 PM

Well, whoever was selling mini Trump flags, Trump facemasks, and "Union Workers for Trump" signs has already made a killing.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2021, 10:56 AM

Does anyone else remember these?

Up until a couple of decades ago, this was mandatory for travel to or (mostly) from certain areas. It started with documenting that someone was vaccinated against Yellow Fever and was eventually used to document a lot more stuff.

As a member of the military, I have one (actually more than one, since they fill up after a while), starting back in 1978, showing I’ve been vaccinated against a lot of stuff. Yellow Fever, typhoid, take that! Hah!

This is actually what the CDC and other groups are referring to. “Passport” is mischaracterization at best, and FUD at worst.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 6, 2021, 11:20 AM

The Texas and Florida governors have already issued executive orders forbidding anyone receiving state funds from going anywhere near requiring "passports." I have no idea if that might I stop universities from requiring students and faculty showing some proof of either negative tests or vaccination.

I'm waiting for the evangelicals to start-up the "vaccine passports are the mark of the devil" meme.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2021, 12:32 PM

I have one of those books and needed it to get into a few different countries.

andi*pandi
Apr 6, 2021, 01:37 PM

I needed to get certain shots before going to New Zealand, and Fiji.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 6, 2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The county will be offering the J&J shot at my work. Based on the rumblings and grumblings I'm hearing, I suspect the take rate is going to be pretty low. Lots of speaking in low voices about Vaccine Passports (I assume Fox must have covered them recently) and still lots of talk about how the election numbers magically changed to favor Democrats overnight, and also reinforcing the old social media fake news about a ballot dump.
www.trumpfags.com

reader50
Administrator
Apr 6, 2021, 04:31 PM

@Cash, your link redirects to a reddit thread.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 6, 2021, 04:49 PM

My wife finally got her first shot today. The county gave her the Pfizer vaccine. So, we're a mixed household now.
She said the place they county has set-up was super busy. Constant flow of people coming in for their appointments, and a lot of younger people, which is good to know.

Now, if I can just get our son and daughter off the fence about getting vaccinated. Our daughter will probably do it, but her husband says he wont. It's not a political stand, he's just not a fan of getting shots. Our son is waffling about it, too, though his wife is getting it.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 6, 2021, 05:29 PM

I don't like needles myself, so I looked away while the shot was done. My preference for not-dying is much stronger than my needle phobia.

andi*pandi
Apr 6, 2021, 07:32 PM

I'm now booked for saturday morning drive to downtown boston. It's a little far, but I could easily spend 30 min refreshing cvs and walgreens and hannaford so the state site signup was pretty painless.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2021, 07:37 PM

Got an appointment with my GP. it’s a week-and-a-half from now, but I don’t have to drive to BFE.

Blessed to be fearless of needles, which is good because blood banks like them some O+.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 6, 2021, 10:05 PM

I have no clue what my blood type is.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 6, 2021, 10:14 PM

Whichever blood type is preferred by more mosquitos - that's the type I have. Don't know the official type, but call it T+ for good taste.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 7, 2021, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Now, if I can just get our son and daughter off the fence about getting vaccinated. Our daughter will probably do it, but her husband says he wont. It's not a political stand, he's just not a fan of getting shots. Our son is waffling about it, too, though his wife is getting it.
I gave my mother in law a keynote presentation about the vaccines late last year. I knew I had to preempt whatever misinformation she might be hearing from Fox News. But she was fine with shots in general. Not sure how to combat that.

Super awesome that so many people are getting theirs now.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I don't like needles myself, so I looked away while the shot was done. My preference for not-dying is much stronger than my needle phobia.
At my last job, I managed to pass out after getting a flu shot. I've also passed out after getting blood drawn during a physical. I passed out while my wife and her doctor were discussing Implanon. Someone linked the Chuck Palahniuk story "Guts," and I had to stop reading at some point because I was seeing spots. I got VERY close on the day my daughter was born - the anesthesiologist went to insert the epidural into my wife's back and I looked away, knowing that I'd be in trouble if I saw it. Unfortunately, I looked away...directly into a mirror giving me a perfect view of the needle getting shoved straight in - I spent the rest of the day in a woozy state, sitting down most of the time desperately trying to hold onto consciousness. I've passed out during a certain male-oriented outpatient procedure designed to save me money and 18 years of hassle.

I have a problem.

That last one was three years ago, and thankfully the last time it's happened. No issues with flu shots since then, I look away and make sure I get a band-aid so I don't feel like it's in there squishing out of my arm.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 7, 2021, 08:09 AM

Wow, Laminar, it almost sounds like we're related. I'm not a fan of needles and used to pass-out or get light-headed at any poke. Blood draws were always the worst. I've passed-out so many times at blood draws it isn't funny.

Back when I got married, the state still required couples to get blood tests for the license. That was the first time I ever had such a thing done to me, and it didn't go well. Between full-on flailing panic attacks and multiple pass-outs, it was not a good time for me or the nurse. She ended up getting another nurse to actually sit on me to hold me down while she got the blood drawn. Needless to say, I was extremely needle-phobic ever since.

I've gotten better at it over the decades, but I still get a little iffy whenever anyone comes near me with a needle.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 7, 2021, 03:21 PM

Got my first shot!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2021, 04:18 PM

Rob, you really are a total asshole, but damn that’s funny.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2021, 04:56 PM

The only needle experience which bothered me was I had a nurse manage to kink one of those flexy IV deals. The pain slowly built up until after about a half-hour I lost it.

The poor nurse who came to my aid asked how I cope with freak-outs like that, and I told her “I hit things”.

Never saw that nurse again, and she sent in big, burly nurse to redo the IV.

I meant I hit inanimate objects. Like, I’ll slap the wall. I don’t hit people. Jesus Christ.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2021, 05:10 PM

I usually look away but am fine after that. It's the anticipation of it that bugs me and makes it worse. So Rob's gifs don't bother me because it's not my arm.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 7, 2021, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Rob, you really are a total asshole, but damn that’s funny.
I won't argue with either judgement

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2021, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I have a problem.
But, you’re so much... taller than the needle.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2021, 04:47 AM

I had to get an IV drip feed for contrast liquid when having an x-ray once. I could feel the cold fluid crawling up my arm and got rather woozy.

Eventually, I noticed that the drip had slowed to a halt and alerted the nurse.

She was like, "Oh yeah, I used to hate drips, too. But what happens when we fight it is that the vein contracts and the drip doesn't work. Then I learned…"
(she yanks the needle from my arm and walks around to the other side)
"…that it means that we just have to try again."

That worked.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2021, 06:55 AM

Ooo, one time I was watching a complication video of all of the times in movies people got sliced and then their bodies slid apart. Weird thing to watch, but I made it about halfway through and had to quit because I was about to be in trouble.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2021, 04:52 PM

My ex’s sister lives in Columbia, and is flying here to get vaccinated.

I wasn’t even willing to drive 100 miles.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2021, 06:07 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention the only thing which ever caused me to pass out was a frozen strawberry margarita. Got brain freeze, tried to ride it out and woke up on the floor with everyone yelling my name.

Luckily I was sitting down, and didn’t cause much damage.

In contrast, I hit the floor after a seizure while I was standing, and netted me multiple spinal fractures, mild hearing loss in the ear which hit the ground, and two days in a medically induced coma.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 8, 2021, 06:12 PM

Man, you gotta switch cigarette brands. That's a bad response.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Man, you gotta switch cigarette brands. That's a bad response.
I don’t remember anything about that first seizure, but with later ones, I noticed the aura of an impending seizure is exactly like a nicotine buzz.

I’m almost positive I had just finished smoking a cigarette before that first one, so I didn’t think there was anything unusual happening.

They found the right medication for it though. Haven’t had one in over a decade. Also, luckily, it’s not the kind where I’m affected by strobes.

Added wrinkle to that first seizure is I was saved by my dog, who started barking and woke people up.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 8, 2021, 06:28 PM

My worst pass-out was way back at my first job out of college. I was in our photo studio working with a photographer on a product shoot. We were taking a break, and I was sitting on a step ladder talking with the photographer. He mentioned that his wife was an OR nurse and was always describing the operations to him. He then went off on a tangent, describing a prostate surgery his wife told him about.

The next thing I remember is waking-up face down on the (concrete) studio floor, in a steadily growing pool of blood. When I passed-out and face-planted the floor, my glasses sliced a nice, big crescent in my head, just above my left eye. I got my first and only ambulance ride that afternoon.

To add insult to injury, part of putting me back together included the doc pushing a needle into the wound over and over, to numb the tissue. It felt like he was trying to push it through my head. Then, of course, the sensation of being sewn back together. Doc put multiple layers of stitches in me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2021, 06:44 PM

Ugh. My dad got hit in the sunglasses while playing tennis, and the frame jacked up his temple pretty good. He switched to rubber frames afterwards.

I’ve had three ambulance rides, all seizure related. Don’t remember the first one, but with the others I “came to” in the ambulance, and was like... god dammit.

I put “came to” in quotes because I was apparently conscious and talking while they were loading me in both those times, but with my seizures it takes awhile for the brain to start recording again.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2021, 05:44 AM

I've never passed out. Came close once or twice.
Our full assemblies at school crammed about 1500 people into a hall that I doubt they'd put more than 500 in nowadays (Pre-covid). Standing room only. It was common for kids to pass out in these assemblies but they did them anyway. Pretty much unthinkable nowadays.

One time my (trained anatomy student) girlfriend was chopping kindling in my fireplace with a small hand axe. She suddenly stopped and went quiet then got up and walked to the kitchen without a word and ignoring my questions so I followed her. Lucky I did because after running her thumb under the tap/faucet for a few seconds she keeled over backwards and I was able to catch her before she hit anything. She had a cut which I guess at a glance looked bad but wasn't really too serious. She was only really out long enough to fall over.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention the only thing which ever caused me to pass out was a frozen strawberry margarita. Got brain freeze, tried to ride it out and woke up on the floor with everyone yelling my name.

My daughter does this. She'll slam ice cream too fast, pause, start to cry, the pass straight out. The first time we were eating out on the deck, she passed out and fell forward, knocking her head on the table. The second time was when my wife had made breakfast smoothies (frozen fruit, spinach, almond milk, oatmeal). Daughter went too hard on hers, started crying, and I yelled GRAB HER just in time for my wife to get her shoulders before she fell off her chair. I'd never heard of someone passing out from brain freeze until I saw her do it, so it's hilarious to hear that it's happened to someone else.

andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2021, 11:22 AM

Some high school event where we had to blow up 100 balloons and no one had invented the air pump yet. We're up late, tired, and on balloon #53 I slide off my folding chair and onto the lineoleum. I wake up with my heartless teammates laughing their asses off.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 9, 2021, 01:31 PM

I don't know if I've ever passed out. Blacked out, yeah, def. Knocked out, oh yeah. Never just passed out tho.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2021, 01:40 PM

The one time I was so sick that I needed IV fluids was bad. I’ve donated blood for decades, but having that needle go in for the fluids made me feel BAD. Head spinning, nauseous, everything feeling “wrong.” I was close to passing out, but I’m a stubborn cuss and refused to. It helped that my wife was holding my hand at the time.

Since then, I’ve donated blood many times, gotten numerous vaccinations, had numerous blood draws for tests, etc. and not a single bit of “off” feeling. Which is good, since I’m going to have surgery in a couple of weeks and that involves plenty of needles, as well as other unpleasantness. The positive is that I’m not exactly going to “be there” when most of it happens.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 9, 2021, 03:59 PM

The weird thing is I don’t really mind passing out. It’s kind of an “experience” now. And I really like getting put under for surgery. The last time I had to be put under, I actually thanked the anesthesiologist as he pushed the stuff into me.

I guess, basically, I like leaving the world for awhile.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2021, 04:10 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2021, 08:45 AM

Shot #2 a couple days ago. Had some arm soreness yesterday and was pretty tired by mid-afternoon even with a second coffee, but no other symptoms.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 16, 2021, 11:41 AM

Nice. What flavor?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2021, 11:43 AM

Anyone else get the feeling the narrative is gently being pushed towards “yes, this was indeed created in a lab”?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2021, 12:04 PM

All I remember was an AMA from an infectious disease specialist sometime last summer where he said that if this thing was manmade, it was done is the most illogical and least likely to succeed manner.

edit:

This one, I think

Of course, reading this stuff for me is like me explaining internal combustion to my dog, so I have no choice but to decide whether or not to trust the source.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2021, 12:20 PM

I skimmed, and this jumped out at me.

Wat

It’s not possible because China couldn’t afford it?

Edit: “not something... we really are able to do in the lab itself, without a company”.

So, companies don’t make their shit in labs?

Edit 2: to put my point a different way, it sounds like he’s describing how things work in a university/commercial/health agency virology lab, not a biowarfare research facility.

Also, just got the first jab.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 16, 2021 at 03:48 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules