Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 21)
ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2021, 04:22 PM

Good luck to your wife. While her immune system won't be as compromised as 'Famous' girlfriend's, your wife is still at markedly higher risk from just about everything. She should take flu seriously, for example.

And for everyone's information, ANY significant health issue puts a person at a hugely higher risk of contracting COVID, and if they get it, their disease course will probably be much harder on them too.

So Joe Mouthbreather, who scoffs at masks being "for pussies," is a particularly big problem. He probably doesn't know he's badly diabetic because he doesn't trust doctors, and he's also probably burned out half of his liver with particularly cheap booze, and has lung problems he has from his "manly" unfiltered Marlboros habit, and so on... So if he actually does get sick from COVID, has a very poor prognosis. This guy is going to "soak the man" for a million dollars worth of health care that, if he survives won't leave him able to take care of himself. And those bills won't ever be paid. See, my take on Joe Mouthbreather is that he's a parasite on society, and especially our (admittedly pretty psychotic) health care system.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 14, 2021, 05:15 PM

Yeah. I really just sort of want it to mutate into something really deadly to just remove all these ****ing retards from the gene pool. Problem is many of them had a lot of equally moronic offspring. IDK how we as a species are supposed to advance when we are pulling dead weight like these people. They're just so ****ing dumb.

Like... I knew there were dumb people, but you've seen the photos by now of people hoarding gas in.... plastic bags. And rubbermaid containers.

Dumb people are FARRRRRRRRRR dumber than I thought they were a few years ago. Eye opening.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2021, 06:48 PM

Yeah, it’s really surprised me. Especially disappointing how many people I got along fine with have turned out to be utter ****ing morons when it comes to some basic things over the past year.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2021, 06:53 PM

I heard there is a new idiot conspiracy theory thats causing people to wear masks and social distance to protect themselves from people who've been vaccinated.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
May 14, 2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
Oh she can and did, but anti cancer drugs give her an immune system with 1/4 the white blood cells of a normal person... so.... yeah, better than nothing, but only like 50% protected against the main strain, and less against hte other strains. ****ing sucks. I'm so sick of being trapped at home.
Sorry to hear about that, I hope she’s on the road to recovery. Getting cancer therapy in Covid times is even less fun than usual. What’s her prognosis?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 15, 2021, 12:50 AM

Seems we have collectively decided the Pandemic is over. Yep. Great idea. What can go wrong…

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Seems we have collectively decided the Pandemic is over. Yep. Great idea. What can go wrong…
Only what happened last November, then again in December, and then again for Spring Break….. Oh, and the big festival in India where EVERYBODY gets together….

I’m going to be wearing a mask for a long time. I live in a pollen-rich environment, and occasionally encounter people whose main source of any sort of information could easily be rendered with 16 crayons, so it’s to my benefit to protect myself from them.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 16, 2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Sorry to hear about that, I hope she’s on the road to recovery. Getting cancer therapy in Covid times is even less fun than usual. What’s her prognosis?
She is but 5 years post treatement need to take these drugs that **** up your immune system. She can run triathlons but her immune system is shit. This sucks. I can't even go to the grocery store or hardware store because they've lifted all mask requirements.

Remember when "wearing a mask is about protecting the vulnerable"? Yeah, **** them apparently.

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2021, 12:03 PM

I can't even go to the grocery store or hardware store because they've lifted all mask requirements.
Screw the peer pressure. Go in the stores, and wear your mask anyway. If you get too much hassle from the mouth-breathers, carry a small L-shaped piece of wood in a pocket.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2021, 12:26 PM

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I think the problem is maskless people will infect him, and he’ll bring it home.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 16, 2021, 12:31 PM

That is the issue. Without any mask anywhere, shit is ****ed. Nobody cares. Society says she doesn't matter, and I don't matter, basically.

God damn I ****ing hate both sides of the political spectrum so ****ing much. The #imwithher crowd is already over it, congregating in packed brunch areas and pretending they are ****ing cool. The red side has never given a shit either.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2021, 02:51 PM

Let those stores know that you can’t - and WON’T - patronize them because the pandemic isn’t over and there are people who are at risk from the poor judgement of others. Then write it up and send it in as a “letter to the editor” too. Get attention, take up space with it, be noticed. You aren’t the only one in a jam because of the store policies, and you should remind them of that, too.

There was a time I liked to shrink into the background, not get involved. Then I lost both of my parents to cancer. I F***ING HATE cancer. And I hate people who do not “get” how circumscribed the life of a cancer survivor can be. I have a “Cancer Sucks” tee shirt that I wear from time to time, and another that says “**** Cancer”. They go great with a mask. 90% of the droolers won’t get it, but the sharp ones in the world will. And store and restaurant managers get it too.

We don’t dine in (or outdoors) at all. Our favorite “family style” restaurant offers curbside service, and we patronize them for that now and then. And we get survey codes on a lot of our receipts, so every time I mention that I WON’T dine in because I don’t trust other diners to be safe.

Hell, I didn’t trust them before the pandemic, and even asked to be moved to a different table once (in 2019!) because of a smelly, coughing, disgusting party seated right next to us.

So don’t suffer in silence. Make noise in public. Let everybody know that their cavalier attitude is dangerous to others. A lot of them will just be the same jackasses they always have been. But if they can’t ignore you, they won’t be as comfortable being jackasses. Honestly, we ALL need to do this. I ain’t gonna die because idiots who don’t have the brains to understand why their Thanksgiving dinner last year killed Grammaw in January.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 17, 2021, 11:03 AM

My county is one of the reddest in the state; the ski hill didn't even do anything about covid unlike all the big resorts out in Colorado... apparently if you are republican enough, science works differently. My point is, writing won't do shit. This county was 80% trump voters. Which is insane.

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2021, 11:13 AM

I’m really sorry you’re stuck the way you are.

I’d still be loud about how the whole thing isn’t about “them,” it’s about all of us. Just to make them uncomfortable in public, at least. Maybe not about the actual facts, but that their behavior and ideas are not universal.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 17, 2021, 01:35 PM

Saturday, after spending the day at the Speedway (masks required on the grounds!) we went with some friends for some pizza at a place with lots of outdoor seating. Even though this was in the heart of the most blood-red town in Indiana, I was surprised to see quite a few people still wearing their masks. We wore ours, of course, and were were all fully vaxxed. Still, the numbers of non-masked outweighed the masked, save for the wait staff, who were all masked.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 17, 2021, 04:45 PM

Girlfriend went to the grocery store today, wearing her mask. Some 50+ year old guy was pacing back and forth in an aisle, whistling to expel more unfiltered air to own the libs, she waited for him to leave, then she grabbed what she was waiting for and the guy walked behind her and coughed. She said 'what the ****" and he laughed.

If I was there I would have thrown down. I am so sick of these tiny dicked morons thinking they are somehow more intelligent than people who went to school for things... I miss old school internet that excluded dumb****s; they have become more cocky/confident of their idiot positions and just egg each other on. I swear to **** I might lose it someday and take a bunch of these pieces of shit out. If get a terminal illness, that is DEFINITELY what I am doing.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 17, 2021, 05:36 PM

Four years of someone running the country who is just as dumb and bullying as they are has definitely empowered them.

reader50
Administrator
May 17, 2021, 05:41 PM

Girlfriend went to the grocery store today, wearing her mask. Some 50+ year old guy was pacing back and forth in an aisle, whistling to expel more unfiltered air to own the libs, she waited for him to leave, then she grabbed what she was waiting for and the guy walked behind her and coughed. She said 'what the ****" and he laughed.
Any way to get a name on him? You could file a police report - she is a witness to an attempted murder. Her own. And the store may have surveillance footage.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
May 17, 2021, 10:30 PM

We talked about that but she said it was subtle enough that it wouldn't show up on camera very well and he could claim he didn't. All I know is I hope one of these dickheads does something like this to me. If you see a random article about a someone who assaulted a covididiot and then teabagged him in front of everyone, that'll be me.

OreoCookie
May 18, 2021, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Let those stores know that you can’t - and WON’T - patronize them because the pandemic isn’t over and there are people who are at risk from the poor judgement of others.
Yes! The issue is you don't know who is and isn't vaccinated. So long as there isn't herd immunity, I'll keep putting my mask on.
Then I lost both of my parents to cancer. I F***ING HATE cancer. And I hate people who do not “get” how circumscribed the life of a cancer survivor can be. I have a “Cancer Sucks” tee shirt that I wear from time to time, and another that says “**** Cancer”.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Where do you get your T-shirts? I might buy a few. (I lost my cousin to terminal brain cancer last year and will lose my mom to a soft tissue sarcoma quite soon.)

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2021, 11:44 AM

Look here: Represent’s Stephen Amell store

I also got this one, which is feel good in a lot of different directions. (Yes, I am a MCU fan.)

I saw the Stephen Amell shirt before I knew anything about him, but I’m behind his campaign 100%.

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2021, 01:00 PM

Do you live in Ohio? If you do, you can get a COVID shot, and a chance to win a $1 million lottery prize each week.

Shots are up as people go for the tickets. Other states are trying different tactics to get the vaccine-hesitant to come in.
In New Jersey, residents 21 and older can get a free beer after receiving their first vaccination. In Alabama, residents who received a vaccine or Covid-19 test were able to take a free drive on the famed Talladega Superspeedway this past weekend. Maine residents who get their first shot of the vaccine before the end of May can choose from several outdoor-themed prizes including fishing or hunting licenses or day passes to state parks.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2021, 02:37 PM

We haven’t reached peak until they give you an AR.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2021, 09:03 AM

My company paid us $100 to get the vaccine, and they actually offered on-site shots for a few days for those that needed that.

Oh, and Iowa's Trump-wannabe governor signed overnight legislation (literally signed it after midnight) to BAN MASK REQUIREMENTS IN SCHOOLS.

TWO WEEKS BEFORE SCHOOLS ARE OUT.

I literally don't understand why you would BAN A SCHOOL from requiring their students wear masks, just like they've done over the past 10 months without issue.

Those students that are higher risk and only able to attend school because everyone is masked are now being hung out to dry with 2 weeks left.

For no reason other than scoring political points.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2021, 09:29 AM

Rep. Steven Holt, R-Denison, said that he has received hundreds or thousands of messages regarding masks and that some Iowans believe masks don't work and they harm their children's development.

"This is about freedom. This is about liberty," he said. "In my district alone, numerous parents have had enough."

Republicans voted down an amendment Democrats proposed that would have limited the mask mandate prohibitions to the COVID-19 pandemic. Another failed Democratic amendment would have allowed the Iowa Department of Public Health and local boards of health to enact mask wearing or safety measures to address local public health issues.

According to the legislation, school boards and superintendents cannot require employees, students or members of the public to wear a facial covering while on the property of a public or accredited private school. Exceptions include when facial coverings are necessary for an "extracurricular or instructional purpose" or required by existing portions of Iowa law governing ear and eye protection.

Iowa State Education Association President Mike Beranek said in a statement Wednesday night that he was "deeply disappointed" in the vote, citing the CDC recommendations that unvaccinated people continue to wear masks.

"It is a shame our elected leaders feel the need to end this historically difficult year on such an uninformed note," he said.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...dc/5167025001/

Denison is the home of Steve King, that guy who ended up being too White Supremacist for the Republican party and finally got voted out in 2020, but only after decades of unwavering support from his constituents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/u...supremacy.html

So that's the kind of stock they're working with.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 21, 2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I literally don't understand why you would BAN A SCHOOL from requiring their students wear masks, just like they've done over the past 10 months without issue.

For no reason other than scoring political points.
With only two weeks left, it's pretty easy to fire school superintendents or principals (hell, maybe entire school boards?) who don't comply, without disrupting the entire school year. The assumption being that any school official violating the law obviously isn't a team player and should be replaced with someone more acceptable. A summer is enough time to pressure school boards to hire someone more to the legislature's liking.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
With only two weeks left, it's pretty easy to fire school superintendents or principals (hell, maybe entire school boards?) who don't comply, without disrupting the entire school year. The assumption being that any school official violating the law obviously isn't a team player and should be replaced with someone more acceptable. A summer is enough time to pressure school boards to hire someone more to the legislature's liking.
OH DON'T WORRY THEY'RE ALREADY DOING THAT.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ng/5133947001/

As the COVID-19 pandemic changed everything about educating children, Des Moines Public Schools Superintendent Tom Ahart's leadership of Iowa's largest district became deeply controversial.

On Thursday, Ahart, who has led the Des Moines district for nearly a decade, will defend his administrator's license in front of the state's Board of Educational Examiners. Last week, the Des Moines School Board voted to not extend his current employment contract past June 2023.

And Des Moines' schools have garnered negative attention from the Iowa Department of Education and the Legislature because school officials began this year online, rather than at least 50% in-person as required by Iowa law at the time.

While Des Moines schools have always been in the state's spotlight, the pressure on Ahart, who has spent 24 years working on educating Iowa's students, and the potential end to his job may come as a side effect of a global pandemic.
They voted not to extend his contract (aka fired) and now they're pushing to strip him of his license, all because he defied state orders to have at least 50% of school time in person.

And any additional spread in the schools (we just got a notice yesterday of yet another positive case in my kid's elementary school - it's not over, it's not gone), won't be reported because it will be summer time so any spikes caused by this decision won't be tracked.

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2021, 06:00 PM

And the countdown to the next surge, led by children and school employees starts now…

Governor Abbot has essentially issued the same edict in Texas. He’s playing to his scared and privileged base - again. I can barely wait for a chance to vote against him again….

OreoCookie
May 21, 2021, 07:54 PM

And the countdown to the next surge, led by children and school employees starts now…

Governor Abbot has essentially issued the same edict in Texas. He’s playing to his scared and privileged base - again. I can barely wait for a chance to vote against him again….
From the people in favor of local, small government.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 27, 2021, 10:05 PM

Speaking of vaccination...
Ohio legislators move to abolish all vaccination requirements.
All vaccination requirements.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2021, 10:24 AM

Make Smallpox Great Again

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2021, 11:25 AM

OK guys, let’s somehow UNvaccinate you - for everything - and let you just wander around unprotected for a couple weeks. Then we’ll see how many of you get sick, so we can decide if your idea is good. Spoiler: it ain’t.

andi*pandi
May 28, 2021, 05:10 PM

I hear polio was a real hoot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2021, 05:50 PM

**** those assholes.

Just mind-boggling.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
We haven’t reached peak until they give you an AR.
Allllmost there.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2021, 06:43 PM

I thought giving away Krispy Kreme donuts as an incentive was pretty unhealthy.

For context, it’s a lottery sort of thing, and the prizes include five custom hunting rifles, five custom hunting shotguns, two fancy new trucks, lifetime hunting and fishing licenses, and a chance for one of 25 getaways to WV state parks.

So it’s not like “Got your shot? Here’s a machine gun.” But dang! I don’t know if it seems like they’re stereotyping West Virginians, or something else. But it sure seems wrong.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2021, 06:52 AM

There’s more room for wrong here... I just know it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2021, 01:53 PM

My company has ceased checking temperatures at the front gate, and has now lifted the mask mandate in conference rooms for those that are vaccinated, unvaccinated must still wear their masks. Managers are allowed to see which of their reports has gotten the vaccine, and we've been reminded to respect everyone's decisions as we wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of the unvaccinated special snowflakes. Feelings are much more important than facts, you know.

As a reminder, my company offered on-site vaccinations and every single person that wanted one could get it, and the company would PAY YOU $100 FOR GETTING IT. So there are very few good reasons that someone here wouldn't have it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2021, 03:49 PM

My hospital didn’t get vaccine until months after most of the rehab staff had gotten vaccinated by another hospital. A rehabilitation hospital doesn’t sound as impressive as a general hospital that actually has a whole floor full of COVID patients.

We actually arranged to avoid, if possible, absenteeism due to side effects. I was out one day after the second shot because our rules said “fever over 100 means don’t come in,” and I came out with 100.2 a couple of times that night. The next day I was full duty and just a bit tired. We didn’t get any bonus, special recognition, etc. for simply doing what we felt was the safest thing for us and our patients.

What I don’t get is the nurses in the Houston hospital who complain that the vaccine is “not fully tested”. By my in-depth reading, that is not the case. The “emergency” authorization allowing the use of these vaccines simply acknowledges that there have not been long-term studies of the original test subjects. However, the nurse group seems to be painting a picture of every new vaccination being a brand new test case, as if all the studies over the previous year plus were nothing. There’s a lot of hyperbole here…. In particular, they say “patients can refuse treatment, but we can’t.” Except the vaccine isn’t a “treatment”, it’s a preventative. And mandatory flu vaccines have been accepted for decades. I just don’t get it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2021, 04:34 PM

We didn’t get any bonus, special recognition, etc. for simply doing what we felt was the safest thing for us and our patients.
I assume most of the reason for our bonus was a ruse to get everyone to upload proof of vaccination.

There’s a lot of hyperbole here…. In particular, they say “patients can refuse treatment, but we can’t.”
You can always tell who spends way too much time on Facebook.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2021, 05:24 PM

What I don’t get is the nurses in the Houston hospital who complain that the vaccine is “not fully tested”.
By my figures, there are over 100 million tests in the USA alone (more if you count 2nd shots) and we're approaching 1 billion tests worldwide. Not all for the same vaccine (yet), but it's well along. The public has been testing since mid-December, so that's six months. Plus the extra ~6 months of human trial volunteers before public access began.

I'm not sure how much more testing is needed to convince the 'fraidies. The current vaccines are among the most tested in history.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2021, 05:42 PM

There could be long-term effects we’re not aware of yet.

It’s likely worth the risk, but I don’t feel comfortable yet saying it’s been proven they don’t exist.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2021, 06:30 PM

There could be long-term effects we’re not aware of yet.

It’s likely worth the risk, but I don’t feel comfortable yet saying it’s been proven they don’t exist.
That much is true, but there really hasn't ever been a vaccine where "long-term side effects" didn't mean "showed up in the first two months".

From what we know about how mRNA is treated in muscle tissue (it's destroyed within a few days), it is extremely unlikely that there could be any long-term effects at all, beyond immune response.

I suppose technically it hasn't been "proven" that exceptions to gravity don't exist that would cause an Apple to fall straight up into the sky, but everything we know and can verify seems to rule that out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2021, 06:38 PM

Fair enough.

I don’t really know too much about virology, just assuming there’s a reason they usually wait longer.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2021, 07:41 PM

Much of the reason traces to the Thalidomide scandal. An incompletely tested drug (Thalidomide) was released in Europe over-the-counter. Turns out the testing had missed something: if taken during pregnancy, it can produce limb deformities in the fetus.

Thalidomide wasn't released in the US beyond limited trials. An FDA examiner (Dr. Frances Oldham Kelsey) resisted pressure from the manufacturer, and demanded more trial data. Two years later, she would receive a Presidential award for that decision.

In the aftermath of the scandal, drug testing was tightened up in the USA. Possibly too far - it created problems dealing with the HIV crisis, where the victims would not live long enough for the drugs to complete trials. If memory serves, this prompted Congress to create the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) authority, so the FDA could speed things up in an emergency.

Anyway, new drug approval today takes at least a year. To cover pregnancy and surrounding time. Often several years, to accumulate a fair amount of data.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2021, 07:46 PM

Note that the current vaccines aren't approved for use by pregnant women yet — although enough people have been inadvertently vaccinated while unknowingly pregnant that we have preliminary data suggesting no detrimental effects to pregnancies.

OreoCookie
Jun 7, 2021, 08:01 PM

Humans are very bad at weighing risks. We focus way too much on small, catastrophic risks and too little about more common risks. A common example is people’s fear of plane accidents even though flying is way, way safer than driving.

The initial trials of the vaccines have included a very large group of people (of the order of 30,000 people for Pfizer/BioNTech and many of the others). At the same time, because there is a global pandemic, the number of people being infected (in the control group) was reasonably high. That means with these trials you can capture risks that occur roughly once ever 10,000 vaccinations.

Now that the vaccine has literally been administered hundreds of millions of times, we see smaller risks and risks that are specific to smaller groups. For example, with some vaccines there is an elevated risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in younger women, with others there is an elevated risk of myocarditis especially among young men. However, in most cases these risks are worth it in the sense that it is far more likely to contract Covid and have serious complications. At lower incidence rates, the risks may be appreciable for very specific sub groups, although that can be mitigated by switching to a different vaccine.

Speaking from personal experience, some people working in the medical profession have an odd relationship to doctors. My mom has worked in hospitals for decades, but is afraid of going to doctors at times. I don’t know why. She is also strongly opposed to taking pain killers. Even now, weeks away from death and in pain, she is refusing to take them. Nevertheless, I think it is a failure of education if medical professionals are skeptical. They should be the ones best suited to understand the trade-offs and educate their patients and the public. We need to work on that.

andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2021, 11:55 AM

Pregnancy:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2104983

A lot of women are reporting increased menstrual symptoms, which gives rise to fears about fertility etc. Although I no longer worry about fertility, I can attest to the symptoms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56901353

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2021, 02:07 PM

Washington (state) has upped the ante on vaccine hesitancy. Free marijuana joint with 1st and 2nd shot. Smaller weed offers in Arizona and Washington (DC). I wasn't expecting this.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Pregnancy:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2104983

A lot of women are reporting increased menstrual symptoms, which gives rise to fears about fertility etc. Although I no longer worry about fertility, I can attest to the symptoms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56901353
"Dr. Male" has to be the worst name for an OB/GYN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules