Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 17)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Looks like I won't be playing BF3 until I can locate a big hard drive.
See you... never? You've been talking about a second drive for like years. And I can't imagine they're any easier to come by now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 10:41 AM

How easy it is going to be to transfer all my saves over via the cloud?
{searching intarwebs for cloud jokes. BRB}

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 11:45 AM

Brief weekend notes

• Achieved mastery for the Type 88, RPK, and M27 (again – thanks stats bug!)
• Got Claymore Mastery (300 kills) and Medal. The longer you use it the more satisfying claymore kills become.
• Noshahr really needs to be rebalanced. Two tanks are way stronger than two little birds, especially when you factor in the Z11. Yeah, the US gets an LAV, but it has to survive the trek to land, and then has to deal with two tanks, both of which are more powerful one-on-one. Completely assy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 11:52 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, after a crushing game on Damavand, I got accused of team stacking. On the server I neither run nor bares my name.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 11:54 AM

I finally got the two mortar kill challenge completed.

I had a Seine Crossing match with Dakar a few weeks ago where I spent 80% of my time in a battle with an opposing mortar, yet never could get more than a hit marker and assist. Yesterday I hopped on for a single game (Seine Crossing again), and picked up my two mortar kills back-to-back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

You did it on hard core didn't you.

Still, I'm curious how you did it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
See you... never? You've been talking about a second drive for like years. And I can't imagine they're any easier to come by now.
Thing with me is, if I can get by without spending money I will prolong the inevitable forever. Seems the hammer has finally dropped with this patch, upcoming BF3 DLC and upcoming Skyrim DLC.

I think I can probably find a cheap 60gb. I know that isn't exactly huge anymore, but I lasted this long with 20, I think 60 will bring me to the end of this console cycle nicely.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 12:37 PM

Thing with me is, if I can get by without spending money I will prolong the inevitable forever.
Yeah, like me and the PS3/Blu-ray.

Seems the hammer has finally dropped with this patch, upcoming BF3 DLC and upcoming Skyrim DLC.

I think I can probably find a cheap 60gb. I know that isn't exactly huge anymore, but I lasted this long with 20, I think 60 will bring me to the end of this console cycle nicely.
Don't forget, Borderlands 2 will likely have tons of DLC as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 12:47 PM

Christ, copying savegames to the cloud is already being a pain in the ass. Might just get a 20GB and use it for new games, keep the old drive around in case I want to go back and play older games.

77mb of saves is simply crawling at the moment, any better ideas?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 12:58 PM

Sounds like PSN speeds.

Edit: Actually, they're live-streaming their E3 conference right now, their network might be getting bombarded.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 12:59 PM

Yeah I just noticed a rather large increase in speed all of a sudden. I only hope I can fit all my pertinent saves in one try, instead of the tedious alternative.

Edit: Spoke to soon. My Fallout NV saves all list as pending, the upload is craaaaaaawling. I'd be better off etching the data into stone blocks.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 4, 2012 at 01:19 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 02:24 PM

Don't forget, Borderlands 2 will likely have tons of DLC as well.
As will Halo 4.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
And Halo 4.
And Black Ops 2.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 02:33 PM

Current situation:

Transferring 100+GBs of data from my g/f usb HDD to my iMac so I can format the drive via the 360 to create a 16GB partition to copy all my shit over.

In other words...graaaaaaar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 02:37 PM

Current situation:

Transferring 100+GBs of data from my g/f usb HDD to my iMac so I can format the drive via the 360 to create a 16GB partition to copy all my shit over.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 02:59 PM

Copying to the cloud proved useless for anything over a couple MB. In good news the transfer is now zooming along, I just hope it doesn't require me to re-download the DLC due to DRM bullshit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 03:01 PM

Copying to the cloud proved useless for anything over a couple MB. In good news the transfer is now zooming along, I just hope it doesn't require me to re-download the DLC due to DRM bullshit.

When I used my HD on the Arcade model I couldn't run games of the drive that had been installed on my Elite, for what I presume is DRM purposes. Don't be surprised if you're cock-blocked.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 03:08 PM

You did it on hard core didn't you.
Yep.

Still, I'm curious how you did it.
Another opposing player using mortars. Lit up the map every few seconds.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 03:10 PM

Current situation:

Good God, man...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Yep.
Probably the only way that shit works any more.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 03:28 PM

Well everything seems to be in working order on the new 60GB. It says I need to re-download the DLC in ordre to play the content in offline mode, but as long as I'm signed in as Fatty everything should be just dandy.

Getting the massive patch now.

Besides the pain in the ass that I tried forever to avoid this is certainly a huge weight off my shoulders when it comes to simply enjoying the 360 without worrying about every GB of space. After all is said and done I'll have about 40GB free, which is more than twice the amount I took 7 years to fill. Very nice.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 03:51 PM

3 hours of downloading and I'm at 63%.

Battlelog is KO as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 04:00 PM

Ouch, at a little over 30 minutes I'm at 60%.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 04:14 PM

Well everything seems to be in working order on the new 60GB. It says I need to re-download the DLC in ordre to play the content in offline mode, but as long as I'm signed in as Fatty everything should be just dandy.
How would that work?! "Well, guess I'll play these multiplayer maps by myself in the non-existant private matches offline..."

Besides the pain in the ass that I tried forever to avoid this is certainly a huge weight off my shoulders when it comes to simply enjoying the 360 without worrying about every GB of space. After all is said and done I'll have about 40GB free, which is more than twice the amount I took 7 years to fill. Very nice.
You say seven years, but the reality is you've been doing a free space dance since Borderlands.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 04:36 PM

Nah, I remember him juggling hard disk space prior to Borderlands.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 04:41 PM

Thing is it never mattered. I've not yearned to play Halo 3 maps, or GoW maps, and I've only recently deleted my old Fallout 3 DLC and Borderlands DLC.

In fact once I bought Skyrim and needed to install it to silence the loud-ass disc drive all my problems grew ten-fold. I considered the bigger HDDs, but seriously, did I really need 120GB?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 04:47 PM

It definitely was an inconvenience. When every time DLC came out it became decision making time, you had reached the limit. That's why you ended up having to re-DL MW2 maps after having played General Knoxx. Your flexibility was limited.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 09:30 AM

Downloaded the patch this morning, took about 1.5 hrs.
Whats the consensus on Premium, any one picking it up?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 09:44 AM

I'm just not seeing the reason to pick up Premium. Double xp -don't need it, save battlereports - complete joke, camo - lame, knife - lame, dog tags - cool, but not worth it, plus I'm going to enjoy stealing them. DLC? We still don't know what the last one is – if its single player content, no thanks.

If its on amazon I'll consider picking it up with reward points from my credit card, otherwise not sold.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 09:47 AM

Assault Rifles
AUG A3
SCAR-L

Carbines
ACW-R
MTAR-21

Light Machine Guns
L86A1
LSAT

Sniper Rifles
JNG-90
M417

Shotguns
SPAS-12

Personal Defense Weapons
MP5K

Could care less about the LMG and Snipers, but I'm downright giddy for the Carbines. 'Course, there's no way they live up to my MW2 nostalgia.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 11:23 AM

So... AC-130 confirmed

So, there's a lot of information to be gleaned or inferred from this shot. The AC-130 will have two gunner seats – and no pilot seat. Since I'm a battlefield noob, all I can infer is the AC-130 will probably just fly a set course circling the map (or progressing Rush?). This makes sense to me, as I would not want anyone piloting the damn thing. I already read a person looking forward to crashing it into shit.

Of course, the problem that arises is, can you shoot it down? Tough call. You can't since the aircraft carriers in battlefield, but this will have more proximity and firepower than the latter. I imagine yes, you can destroy it, but how will defense work? Will its anti-missle countermeasures work automatically? Will players have to deploy them? Will ground missiles work?

This is inferred damage from the cannon. BTW, this map is HUGE.

Dat PC graphics.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 12:11 PM

DLC? We still don't know what the last one is – if its single player content, no thanks.
I'm inclined to think it will be Single Player / Co-op Focused.

AC130 coming in Armored Kill ?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 12:12 PM

Money Shot

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I'm inclined to think it will be Single Player / Co-op Focused.
Well, premium claims "20 maps" over all. With B2K, CQ, and AK, that 12. 8 Co-op maps seems more plausible, though I swear there's another DLC pack between Armored Kill and End Game.

AC130 coming in Armored Kill ?
Yes, in the fall. This is what we'll be playing instead of Black Ops 2.

---

Edit: Crosbie and I had some fun in a chopper last night. I swear on those rare occasions I can fend off the enemy chopper and avoid enemy jets, instead of getting to fly around unfettered, I always get team killed by a friendly jet. And honestly, I'm not convinced most are accidents.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 12:25 PM

Well, premium claims "20 maps" over all. With B2K, CQ, and AK, that 12. 8 Co-op maps seems more plausible, though I swear there's another DLC pack between Armored Kill and End Game.
Aftermath (in between Armored & End Game) Also with a Sept 2012 release date.

EDIT: Found this image on the Battlefield Premium "BUY ME!" Page on Battlelog

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks, couldn't find it in the wiki. If it's also set for the fall, that screams SP/Co-op. Which is why I don't need premium.

Edit: I looked at the premium dog tags. I could have made these in an hour at work.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 12:29 PM

"Endgame" box art + motorcycles =

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 12:30 PM

Edit: I looked at the premium dog tags. I could have made these in an hour at work.
any idea if your left tag is "carbon" along with the Premium right tags?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 12:32 PM

Hmmm... the last two packs do promise new weapons. I don't see those coming without MP content. Perhaps Premium doesn't list more stuff because the amount is still up in the air.

I will say one thing for this game, the amount of post-game non-map content they add is staggering when you add it all up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 12:32 PM

any idea if your left tag is "carbon" along with the Premium right tags?
Not that I saw last night. Which is all the more stupid.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 01:03 PM

Finally hit Colonel this morning, 62 hours in

I'm a fan of the new battlelog stats page (includes K/D)

EDIT: anyone notice a large change in their accuracy %, I think with the update Battlelog now removes vehicle stats from the %

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 01:06 PM

Haha, this patch was supposed to give all LMGs extended mags finally (since the M27 was conspicuously absent after the last patch). People are complaining that EM takes the mag count from 45 to only 60, but considering that lack of recoil, that's fair. Arguably, the RPK was unfair with its 200 EM count, but they removed it, instead of fixing it. ****ing DICE.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 02:11 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2012, 02:59 PM

I'm at work so I can't view the video but I do remember being killed by a smoke pellet last night.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 03:21 PM

It requires the AUG, so no.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 03:42 PM

I'm a player who wants to win, and I'll do whatever it takes (within reason) to win a game. My expectation coming into the Close Quarters DLC, I was expecting Call of Duty size maps where claymores would be prominent and explosions everywhere, and pretty much playing the objective would be impossible. I had my squad run squad flak and squad cover as a priority over anything else.

As I write this, I found that none of this to be quite the case. Whether this was because I was playing against high level colonel star players who knew what they were doing, or we're trying to complete the assignments for the new guns, I was quite amazed that the reality didn't meet my original expectation about it.

The one thing I was right about it: it's faster paced, very fast paced in comparison to an original bf3 maps. My first match was Close Quarters Team Deathmatch on Operation 925. I joined late into the game, and an attempt at a victory looked doubtful. It featured a multilevel layout with very tight corners and a few lines a sight (though made longer with the destructive environment in some parts). To be honest, it didn't seem much different than playing Team Deathmatch on a regular BF3 map. The area, width and length, are a lot shorter than the regular ones but the introduction to levels made it enjoyable to play. With Squad sprint enabled as well, you'll find you've lapped the map several times in a couple of minutes.

My next game was Conquest Domination on Donya Fortress. The difference between CQ and CQD is capture and neutralization times really and no deployment spawns for either team. Instead of your regular several seconds to neutralize and several seconds to capture, it's about 3 seconds to neutralize, 2 seconds to capture (not correct times, but they are super quick). To put it into perspective: One person would neutralize and capture a flag by themselves faster in CQD than a whole squad would neutralize a flag in CQ. However, causing the enemy to bleed tickets by capturing all three flags didn't seem to do much difference, it might, but I didn't really see it. With that in mind, I think this game mode is really good. It helps keep up with that fast past action that I think DICE were trying to achieve and suits really well on this map (and others too), and lacked on consoles due to its 12 v 12 parimeters. Donya Fortress is Avery tight map and not many lines of sights, with many layers, like Operation 925. Snipers may want to considered red dots or iron sights.

The one thing I found to be odd was the fact you could spawn in on your squad mates. I'm not complaining about this, but it got to times during the game when the whole enemy team spawned onto each other to defend/attack the flag, causing them to die a lot. Medics will score high in this game mode due to the potential for constant revives/heals; Engineers were scarce. I know for sure I will be playing a lot more CQD. Fast Paced, High Scoring Fun.
I'm going to be in heaven. apsolid will never touch this.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 5, 2012 at 04:05 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 03:57 PM

I've started to really prefer CQ over TDM (on certain maps) and this type of gameplay is everything I love about TDM and CQ combined. I'm so glad Close Quarters is only a week (err 3 weeks w/o premium?) away.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 03:58 PM

I think it was confirmed for next week, unless that was Premium only. They really douched the release with E3 and the Premium reveal. EA!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 PM

I thought the 12th was the release date for premium (places the actual release at the 26th?).

Cant remeber where I read that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2012, 04:11 PM

Yup, it's on their site. June 26th.

Battlefield 3 Close Quarters – Available June 2012

Forum Links
Forum Rules