Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Nisus Writer Pro 1.0 Released

Nisus Writer Pro 1.0 Released
Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 09:58 AM

Late last night (US time zones) Nisus released its official Nisus Writer Pro.

Nisus Writer Pro
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 11:13 AM

Sweet...been usiong NWE and trying the NWP Beta and love it (bought NWE years ago). Great news!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 11:15 AM

How accurately does NWP read and write to MS Word? I get great results with Pages. NWP does intrigue me and I have tried demos of NWE in the past with below average luck on Word files.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 02:25 PM

I think NWE is great if you don't need to read MS Word docs that are formatting sensitive. We don't use it for that reason alone.

Shades of Gray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 04:21 PM

If I remember correctly from the Beta forum for NWP, the read and write is much improved over NWE. I know that I have exchanged .rtf files without problems. Also, I have worked on .doc files in NWP (beta) without problems. However, those files do not include tracking changes, which aside from NeoOffice, I don't think any Mac word processor supports (yet!).

NWP is a step up from NWE, including indexing, cross-referencing, and other items.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 04:23 PM

Is it still that sluggish on older Macs? I'm talking G3 here... I remember giving the Beta a shot and being very disappointed. Typing was sluggish not from page XYZ on but from the very first line of text. Everything seemed rather slow. Did it improve?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Shades of Gray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 04:33 PM

Not sure, I am using NWP on an eMac (G4, 512 MB) and have no problems at all. I think when the NWP beta came out they improved the speed.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 04:40 PM

Good thing there's a trial

I'm still looking for the uber word processor for older Macs running OS X. Pages is unbearably slow, Mellel is quite nice but tends to get extremely sluggish when paragraphs get longer, Word is ok but seems kinda slow, Pages is simply the worst thing I've ever seen, OpenOffice/NeoOffice is unusable, NWE was, if I remember correctly, pretty slow. What else is there to try?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
What else is there to try?
Appleworks?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2007, 10:46 PM

What are you talking about cgc, all G3s except the original G3 PB were officially supported through 10.1.

As for people who are looking for light weight word processors, have you tried Mariner Write?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
Is it still that sluggish on older Macs? I'm talking G3 here... I remember giving the Beta a shot and being very disappointed. Typing was sluggish not from page XYZ on but from the very first line of text. Everything seemed rather slow. Did it improve?
I have to assume everything would be sluggish on a G3 which I don't think was even on the list of OS X compatible systems originally... TextEdit has a lot of similar capabilities and is fast.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 02:33 AM

I just deleted Nisus Writer Pro again. Wanna know why? 10+ seconds lag. I opend a 21p document, about 100 footnotes, cover sheet, etc. When I resumed writing at the very end of the document NWP caused 100% CPU-load and did nothing for a few seconds. Then slowly the letters started to appear. After about 10s the first word was finally on screen - unfortunately it was the first of about six or seven words, so I gave up. I tried again a few minutes later while leaving it running in the meantime (who knows what NWP is doing right after startup) but as soon as I started typing CPU-load hit the ceiling and it was unusable for several seconds again. Same thing happened with NWE btw.

Anyhow, as to G3s being sluggish: Not entirely true. I found that so far, the fastest word processor on my PowerBook G3/400 (Pismo) is Word 2004. There is no lag when typing and even with longer documents of 100+ pages and several hundred footnotes, it's surprisingly fast and stable. All the other word processors have issues, mostly it's the lagging-when-typing issue or it doesn't support some features I need (like cross referencing, dynamic index tables, etc.) In other words, I've been doing pretty good with Word 2004 so far, can't wait for Word 2008. I would try AppleWorks but I only have the OS 9 version at home and don't feel like buying the OS X version without having the chance to see if it suits me first.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
As for people who are looking for light weight word processors, have you tried Mariner Write?
Thanks... I just lost almost four hours to that word processor. I have to admit it is the fastest one out there, no doubt about that. But $59? It's not even worth a dime - no TOC and Mariner Write has the worst implementation of styles I have EVER seen. Why, for example, does a style indent itself when I select an indented style as 'next paragraph'? The trick is that I want paragraph A not indented, and that should be followed by paragraph B - indented. No, Mariner Write doesn't like it. First, it sets the original style to indented and then I cannot change it anymore but have to delete it. The styles are so messed up, a two-year old could've done a better job than whoever implemented these so-called styles.

If not for the huge mess with the styles and the missing TOC feature Mariner would be a verey interesting word processor, and probably would've earned some serious consideration. As it is, no. I spent an hour on my styles only to realize that Mariner Write messes them all up faster than I can fix'em. Sorry, no go.
( Last edited by D'Espice; Jul 5, 2007 at 09:27 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules