Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Iomega Minimax hard drive

Iomega Minimax hard drive
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 06:16 PM

Does anyone know if the hard drive in the 500gb version of the Minimax is IDE or SATA? I currently have a Newertech Ministack V2 which I either need to upgrade the hard drive (IDE) or get a new one with a SATA drive inside. I can get an IDE 500gb drive for around $115 and then I can clone the old drive to it. Would upgrading to a new one with the SATA drive improve performance since my Mini boots from the external drive?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:31 PM

Nope, no idea, but i doubt it'd make any difference in speed. USB vs Firewire is a more relevant issue along with which chipset it uses to bridge USB, FW, and SATA or IDE.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 06:40 PM

The latest Ministack uses the Oxford 924 chipset. Would I even notice a difference?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 07:28 PM

The Oxford 924 is about the best you can get in terms of performance, but your old MiniStack V2 should have an Oxford chip in it too. I'd just put a new hard drive in the V2 unless you have eSATA ports on your machine (or unless the V2 doesn't have FW800).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 07:44 PM

WHat program can I use to clone the drive? Super Duper still has issues with OS 10.5.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 08:50 PM

Disk Utility's Restore tab works great.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

majorco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2008, 11:19 PM

The hard drive in the one I purchased is a 500GB Seagate SATA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules