Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it me or are movies still stupid?

Is it me or are movies still stupid?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 08:38 AM

This weekend I wound up watching two movies: Paul Blart-Mall Cop and Knowing. Without going into details, I'll just say this: does Hollywood think we're THAT stupid?

Movies weren't always this stupid. There was a time (pre-"Armageddon") where movies were actually fun to watch, even with special effects. Even comedies were smart. Now it's just mindless sh*t and it reinforces my belief that there's not much out there to watch anymore.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:05 AM

You're watching Mall Cop, and complain that's stupid ?

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 09:05 AM

Find better movies.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You're watching Mall Cop, and complain that's stupid ?

-t
Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean it's stupid, does it? No.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2009, 09:13 AM

I was coerced into seeing PB:MC when it was in theaters. I told them I didn't want to see it, because I knew exactly what was going to happen: A fat guy that no one takes seriously is given the opportunity to do something great and prove himself, and in the end gets the girl. I wasn't surprised.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean it's stupid, does it? No.
Yes and no.

At least in the case of Mall Cop, I could have told you so just by watching the Trailer.

-t

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 09:39 AM

I haven't seen either one, but I could have told you they were ****. I mean, a Nic Cage film. Really?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:49 AM

"Knowing" was actually quite interesting until the last 45 minutes of the film where it just got REAL stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:52 AM

Since "stupid" is very subjective, it's really hard to discuss what movies fall into that category and which don't.

And there are tons of possible combinations. There are intelligent, entertaining comedies, stupid but yet entertaining comedies, and just plain stupid comedies.

It also depends on what mood one's in. I sometimes enjoy brainless stuff.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 10:32 AM

Your thread title contradicts your post.

The majority of movies are average at best. That doesn't mean they are stupid. You need to go into a movie with the right expectations. What did you honestly expect from PB:MC? I watched it over the weekend and thought it was a perfectly appropriate way to waste an hour and a half munching on popcorn and having a few Presidentes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 10:38 AM

Is it me or are movies still stupid?
Paul Blart-Mall Cop
It's you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 10:42 AM

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2009, 10:44 AM

One thing that makes really good movies stand out is that the majority of movies aren't even "fair." A lot of them are "OK," but most are easily forgettable.

PB:MC is formulaic, sure. You can see exactly what it's about in the trailer, and if you've seen one film on this formula, you know what's going to happen. That doesn't mean that EVERYONE has seen a film based on the formula, nor that nobody will enjoy it. It looks like it's worth 90+ minutes in air conditioning, especially if you take a kid and get some enjoyment out of his or her enjoying the movie.

Nicholas Cage action films are usually at least watchable. I will freely admit that I have seen both National Treasure films and really enjoyed them. But they aren't all formula, and Nick can surprise audiences with really impressive performances, such as in Lord of War.

But before condemning the whole industry, there's something important to consider: nobody makes a commercial film just out of the goodness of his heart or to put his vision in front of audiences. It's a business. There are a number of films that barely hit the screens here, and that's not all because they're bad. But getting screens depends on raking in money, so a lot of films aim at a single, small audience pool for a lot of ticket sales. Formula is one thing that gets funding-Hollywood bankrolls are in the pockets of a group of people whose collective intelligence is greatly exceeded by most day care center classrooms, and those money people apparently have little in the way of collective imagination. To get a film made takes a lot of money, and before you can get money you have to convince the guys who have it that your idea is worth it. Since most of the money guys can't "picture" anything, formula and rehash are pretty much all the filmmaker has to convince them to cough up the dough.

Be more picky about the films you see (or allow yourself to be dragged into), and/or lighten up on judging what you do see. Like "Up," for example-not just a kids' movie and extremely well done. Or "Transformers 2," lots of 'splosions and giant freakin' alien robots that masquerade as cars and semi tractors...with Meghan Fox... Either way, "take it easy kid; it's only a movie."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 11:02 AM

Movies have always been that stupid. We just quickly forget about the stupid ones.

You can look at a list of 50 amazing movies that came out in the 70s and say that movies were better then... but know one ever talks about the thousands of crap movies that came with those 50 amazing movies.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Movies have always been that stupid. We just quickly forget about the stupid ones.

You can look at a list of 50 amazing movies that came out in the 70s and say that movies were better then... but know one ever talks about the thousands of crap movies that came with those 50 amazing movies.
This.

Stop whining about "the good ol days"
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 11:20 AM

Either that, or we don't realize how stupid they were until we see them *again*, now that we're no longer twelve years old.

Damn, there was some stupid, STUPID **** that I thought was great when I was a kid.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Either that, or we don't realize how stupid they were until we see them *again*, now that we're no longer twelve years old.

Damn, there was some stupid, STUPID **** that I thought was great when I was a kid.
Bloodsport?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Bloodsport?
Loved that movie. Especially JCVD's slow motion karate chop sound effects.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 11:53 AM

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill ?

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 12:01 PM

Mitchell

Servo: What's that say, "Mittens"? There's an action film called "Mittens"?
Crow: Joe Don Baker IS Mittens! He's a cop.
Servo: "Mithrel"? Oh, it's "Mitchell".
Joel: The Martha Mitchell story.
Servo: Joe Don Baker IS Martha Mitchell!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 12:05 PM

Except in the 70's and early 80's, there weren't thousands of crap movies like there are today. Simple explanation is that there weren't as many theaters, and the ones that they did have only had one or maybe two screens. Multiplexes didn't kick in until around 1984, at least not in my area.

So when you made a movie back then, it HAD to be good. Let's talk about the summer of '82, shall we?

Rocky III
Star Trek II
Poltergeist
E.T.
Tron

All in the same summer.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 12:07 PM

Ok, so even if there are more stupid movies, is it really that hard to spot them? I mean, this doesn't sound any different than what happens when there's more music, more tv channels, more iPhone apps, etc.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2009, 12:15 PM

This weekend I wound up watching two movies: Paul Blart-Mall Cop and Knowing. Without going into details, I'll just say this: does Hollywood think we're THAT stupid?

Movies weren't always this stupid. There was a time (pre-"Armageddon") where movies were actually fun to watch, even with special effects. Even comedies were smart. Now it's just mindless sh*t and it reinforces my belief that there's not much out there to watch anymore.
Some movies are definitely ignorant. I'm in the minority, however. I generally disagree with "critics" and friends alike because I usually like more movies than most people do.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Bloodsport?
God no.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Bud Spencer & Terence Hill ?
Heh. That, and worse:

Thomas Gottschalk und Mike Krüger: Zwei Nasen tanken Super

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 01:18 PM

Heh. That, and worse:

Thomas Gottschalk und Mike Krüger: Zwei Nasen tanken Super
OMG, I completely forgot about that. Awesome crap, that was.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 01:59 PM

Except in the 70's and early 80's, there weren't thousands of crap movies like there are today.
Of course there were. Well, at least hundreds.

So when you made a movie back then, it HAD to be good. Let's talk about the summer of '82, shall we?

Rocky III
Star Trek II
Poltergeist
E.T.
Tron

All in the same summer.
Never was a big fan of Tron. And Rocky III didn't exactly get stellar reviews either.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Loved that movie. Especially JCVD's slow motion karate chop sound effects.
BTW, JVCD is a pretty good movie.

raf66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2009, 02:07 PM

Starman, I couldn't agree more. Most movies today just "assault" the senses rather than entertain with a good story.

By the way, I rented Knowing this weekend, too, and I can't believe I wasted nearly 2 hours of my life watching it. I'll never be able to get those 2 hours back. Maybe the dumbest story line and poorest acted movie I've ever seen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 03:13 PM

Rocky III
Star Trek II
Poltergeist
E.T.
Tron
Two out of five (maybe three) still means 40%-60% crap, honey.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 03:15 PM

Rotten Tomatoes:

Knowing - 32% rating
Paul Blart: Mall Cop - 34% rating

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was rated even worse, but I knew the movie would be mindless drivel going in, so I wasn't disappointed by it.

OTOH, here are some well-rated movies this year:

Up (97%) - I agree, good movie
The Hurt Locker (97%) - On my list to see
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (97%) - I'll see it this week
Star Trek (95%) - Pretty good, but lots of plot holes
Drag Me To Hell (93%) - On my list to see
Sunshine Cleaning (73%) - I liked it a lot, although it seemed a bit Hollywood-trying-to-be-indie at times.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was rated even worse, but I knew the movie would be mindless drivel going in, so I wasn't disappointed by it.
I think this is the crux of the whole issue. If you know that a film is concieved, produced, marketed and intended as 100% mindless entertainment, then you choose either to see it or not. If you even bother looking at the trailer you can tell whether 90% of movies are worth bothering with or not, so just don't go see ones that don't interest you or that make you feel your intelligence is insulted or whatever.

I notice a vacuum in the "movie trashing" discussion here-no horror films are mentioned, particularly for their HORRIBLE plot holes. How is Michael Myers super human and immortal? Freddy is supernatural by definition, but he just seems to be too conveniently able to do things to the kids. And what's up with this Saw guy?!?!?! By default, most horror films are so full of plot holes that it looks like someone took a shotgun to the script, yet they have a long history of raking in TONS of money. How are they different from science fiction, fantasy and dramatic films, and why do they get a pass on having solid stories, while the other genres get torn up like Christmas wrapping when there are flaws in their stories?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 06:22 PM

Two out of five (maybe three) still means 40%-60% crap, honey.
Which ones do you believe are "crap"? Maybe Rocky III but the rest of them? No.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 06:25 PM

Looked up more movies that came out the summer of '82

Blade Runner
Conan the Barbarian
Annie
An Officer and a Gentleman
Secret of Nimh
The Thing
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Road Warrior

Along with what I stated already:

Rocky III
Star Trek II
Poltergeist
E.T.
Tron

So why is it that movies nowadays are such crap? It's like the music industry.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 06:42 PM

Holy ****, my birthyear was awesome.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2009, 06:55 PM

Which ones do you believe are "crap"? Maybe Rocky III but the rest of them? No.
All of them except E.T. That’s the great thing about taste: we all have one, and they’re all different from one another.

Edit: Never actually saw Tron, so I can’t say either way for that one.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 07:02 PM

Except in the 70's and early 80's, there weren't thousands of crap movies like there are today. Simple explanation is that there weren't as many theaters, and the ones that they did have only had one or maybe two screens. Multiplexes didn't kick in until around 1984, at least not in my area.

Rocky III
Star Trek II
Poltergeist
E.T.
Tron

All in the same summer.
Yeah but look at all the rest of the crap released that year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_in...leased_in_1982

Yeah there are other good movies in there, and there's also movies like Megaforce

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 07:47 PM

Ok, but can you name more than two movies that came out this year that are destined to be well remembered like the ones I mentioned?

See, that's my point. Movies used to be made 1) to make money, 2) to tell a story. Now it's just eye candy to make money.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 07:56 PM

In case no one said it yet, IT'S YOU.

endofline
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
All of them except E.T. That’s the great thing about taste: we all have one, and they’re all different from one another.

Edit: Never actually saw Tron, so I can’t say either way for that one.
I think the bold, italicized and underlined passage says it all. When I go see a movie, I really don't give two $hits what other people say about it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, well, then I don't.

Too many people nowadays really pride themselves on how much they can pick over movies and point out the inconsistencies in them. I think they should take up a more constructive hobby, like gardening or pit-fighting.

Flickr
Tome Curator

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2009, 08:13 PM

Wall-E will so happen.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 08:32 PM

Even comedies were smart. Now it's just mindless sh*t and it reinforces my belief that there's not much out there to watch anymore.
Completely and utterly wrong.

Seen any 60s, 70s or worst of all 80s comedies lately?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ok, but can you name more than two movies that came out this year that are destined to be well remembered like the ones I mentioned?

See, that's my point. Movies used to be made 1) to make money, 2) to tell a story. Now it's just eye candy to make money.
Remembered like Tron? Maybe Transformers 2? Can't think of any other crap movies known only for their special effects this year.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Completely and utterly wrong.

Seen any 60s, 70s or worst of all 80s comedies lately?
Seriously???
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Naked Gun
Blues Brothers
Young Frankenstein
Life of Brian
History of the World Pt 1
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Caddyshack
Trading Places
Ghostbusters

Do you want more?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
When I go see a movie, I really don't give two $hits what other people say about it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, well, then I don't.

Too many people nowadays really pride themselves on how much they can pick over movies and point out the inconsistencies in them. I think they should take up a more constructive hobby, like gardening or pit-fighting.
Bingo! I'm with you all the way on this one. Every word. To hell with the next man and the guy next to him.

Jokell82! man you can't forget one of the ultimate 80's comedy.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Seriously???
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Naked Gun
Blues Brothers
Young Frankenstein
Life of Brian
History of the World Pt 1
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Caddyshack
Trading Places
Ghostbusters

Do you want more?
There are tonnes of comedies from the last 5 years that are as good (or much better considering that I don't consider several of those listed movies "smart" at all) as the ones you've listed.

How about:

Be Kind Rewind
I Heart Huckabees
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Kocked Up
Shoot 'Em Up
40 Year Old Virgin
The Matador
The Weather Man
Weirdsville

And there are many many more that compare, considering that you've got Naked Gun on your list.

Just because some of you are nostalgic for the movies of your youth, doesn't mean they were actually better then the ones out right now. I will say that there are a LOT of bad movies on the market, but there are certainly tonnes of gems, especially in the drama genre coming out all the time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:52 PM

Don't forget about Teen Wolf, guys.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2009, 09:54 PM

It all comes back to the Opinions = Buttholes issue. Any time somebody starts a thread like this, that's all it amounts to.

Flickr
Tome Curator

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 10:19 PM

Although, agreed in some respects that there haven't been good movies out lately.

I'm not sure I've seen a movie that really really made me want to watch it again since No Country for Old Men, I think.

Serious. The Dark Knight was good, but had such great hype and such great flaws that it was merely "good" - it didn't make me excited just to see it again (which I have, twice). Other than that, I've been remarkably unexcited about the movies coming out lately....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2009, 10:37 PM

TPaul Blart-Mall Cop and Knowing.
Lets see...
Paul Blart: A PG movie about a fat guy running around a shopping mall. How could that not be the best movie of the decade?

Knowing: Basically a remake of the movie Next, staring the same guy, but with aliens!

What did you expect?
( Last edited by CollinG3G4; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM. )

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Lets see...
Paul Blart: A PG movie about a fat guy running around a shopping mall. How could that not be the best movie of the decade?

Knowing: Basically a remake of the movie Next, staring the same guy, but with aliens!

What did you expect?
Considering I don't watch many movies anymore, I wasn't expecting anything.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
How about:

Be Kind Rewind
I Heart Huckabees
The Weather Man
Terrible. Any movie on the '80s list is way better than these three.

Forum Links
Forum Rules