Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Wealth a top priority?

View Poll Results: How important is money?
Poll Options:
Wealth is a top priority in my life. 8 votes (8.70%)
It's not the #1 priority, but its high on the list. 57 votes (61.96%)
It's not a priority. 27 votes (29.35%)
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Is Wealth a top priority?
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 07:36 PM

Interesting story I found on CNN, it basically states that today's youth and young adults are more focused on wealth as a primary goal in life. Is this true? When I think of some friends I wonder. I know one dude who only talks about the fact he is getting paid too little. He already makes six-figures but wants more. It's like his whole self-esteem is linked to it. Of course, that's one guy.

I thought I would see what your own goals and thoughts were.

Polls: Wealth is a top priority for today's youth - CNN.com

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 07:42 PM

its allll bout that paper son...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Rumor
Jan 22, 2007, 07:44 PM

I make roughly 30k and figure if I make 60 - 75k, I'd be content. With more money comes more headaches and more bills. The above mentioned would be enough for me to live comfortably yet still not be "rich". Though I probably still couldn't afford to buy a house on it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 07:50 PM

Money is the power to get what you want in the world. Thus, if you want things, it seems logical that you want money. Thus, unless we are a society of Buddhas or severely depressed people, that seems about like what I'd expect.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

andi*pandi
Jan 22, 2007, 07:55 PM

I find as I progress through life, my standard of living increases proportionally to my income. So I've never really felt as rich as I thought I would at my income level. There are still bills, debts, risks. I don't think I'd ever get really rich enough in my profession where that wasn't a worry, save via the lottery.

Rumor
Jan 22, 2007, 07:56 PM

Ah, the lottery. Also known as the Redneck Pension Plan.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Ah, the lottery. Also known as the Redneck Pension Plan.
That reminds me, I forgot to buy a mega millions ticket.

Seriously, I think there is a difference between materialism and being concerned about income though the article links them. You could want to be "rich" in order to buy a 2 bedroom house for your family in a modest neighborhood in San Diego. I'm just guessing, but it might take two six figure incomes to pull that one off these days.

finboy
Jan 22, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
today's youth and young adults are more focused on wealth as a primary goal in life.
I don't think so, not that I've seen at least, but it would make sense. The next 30 years are going to be very shaky (as the boomers start to retire, or not) and it makes sense to set oneself up to deal with that ASAP.

Realistically, it's not about wealth, it's about dealing with uncertainty. We work more toward financial goals to be able to provide better for an uncertain future. Given the politics of Social Security and health care, that makes tons of sense.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 10:01 PM

While I'm in the minority - something that I'm used too, my desire in life is not to accumulate stuff or wealth. There are more important aspects to life then to increase one's bank account.

I remember an old co-worker once said this to me. "Nobody on their death bed ever wished they'd spent more time in the office." People now work crazy ours in the attempt to get promotions and make more money.

My priorities in life are: My faith, my family, my friends and then my career - in that order.
Michael

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 10:03 PM

Yes wealth is a priority of mine, I admit it. I am trying to ween myself off of this desire.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 10:05 PM

I'm currently back in college studying to be an elementary school teacher, so wealth is not a priority for me.....
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2007, 10:48 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong about wanting wealth and material possessions. It's that people expect these things to bring them happiness.

And that's where today's youth is going wrong. They're chasing money and things in a search for self-definition and fulfillment, without realizing happiness cannot be bought.

flyordiedays
Jan 22, 2007, 11:03 PM

Wealth isn't really a priority for me. I would just like to be comfortable, and that doesn't require actually being rich. It would be nice to not have to worry about gas money, etc., much less car repairs and other such bills that spring up unexpectedly.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 22, 2007, 11:18 PM

Wealth is NOT a priority for me. Being able to afford to do what I am trained and qualified to do IS, though. In other words, while I'm getting my current education to help people, I won't be able to do that if I can't afford a roof over my head and food on the table. No matter how charitable I am, those basic needs are still there. So it comes down to defining "wealth." To someone living on the street, I may appear wealthy, but I am most assuredly NOT.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 11:36 PM

I'll trade money for love.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 11:36 PM

Yes, I know that's only legal in Nevada.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:06 AM

Me? No. I don't need much money to live comfortably. I don't want the newest everything, a huge SUV, a ridiculous boat, bla bla bla. I want a job that I enjoy, and that's creative, with decent pay so I can live decently.

Some of my friends? They abandoned creativity and got business degrees in boring ass ****, and it seems like their soul purpose of the entire thing was to make money. I'm sure in 20-30 years they'll probably realize their mistake, until then, I just feel sorry for htem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 01:15 AM

Right now, I just want enough to pay my bills and debt off. Don't need a house or big stuff.

Yes, money is nice, but the problem is: it will never be enough, so you better start living being content with what you have at the moment.

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 01:28 AM

I don't make a lot of money, and given my career choice, I don't plan on ever being rich. It would certainly be nice to have money (and the wife is likely going to get a good job as soon as college is finished), but I don't guess I'm an overly materialistic guy. I don't care about getting a beautiful car. I'll drive my 2003 Element as long as it will last. I am content in my nice, but small house. I don't demand a lot. I do, however, have two glaring weaknesses: Apple products and gaming.

I don't think I need to be rich. I just want to be completely out of debt (including student loans) by the time I'm 27 (three more years). I think that's a realistic goal.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Wealth is NOT a priority for me. Being able to afford to do what I am trained and qualified to do IS, though. In other words, while I'm getting my current education to help people, I won't be able to do that if I can't afford a roof over my head and food on the table. No matter how charitable I am, those basic needs are still there. So it comes down to defining "wealth." To someone living on the street, I may appear wealthy, but I am most assuredly NOT.

Well stated.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

finboy
Jan 23, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
I'm currently back in college studying to be an elementary school teacher, so wealth is not a priority for me.....
Good thing, too.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't think I need to be rich. I just want to be completely out of debt (including student loans) by the time I'm 27 (three more years). I think that's a realistic goal.
Entirely possible. It's amazing what you can do when you're debt free.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 09:12 PM

Maintenance of wealth is in the top five, but it's not at the top of the list.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Entirely possible. It's amazing what you can do when you're debt free.
Go to school and earn a lot of debt really quickly?
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Go to school and earn a lot of debt really quickly?
Why would anyone do that. Pay cash like I am!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Maintenance of wealth is in the top five, but it's not at the top of the list.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 10:20 PM

Why would anyone do that. Pay cash like I am!
Because I have X amount of cash and school costs roughly X+25000?
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 11:01 PM

Because I have X amount of cash and school costs roughly X+25000?
Ok.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 11:02 PM

Hilarious! I am getting a refinance-your-mortgage/get-out-of-debt banner ad at the top of this page right now!

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 12:01 AM

true wealth is having both time AND money. I am working on wealth to give me both.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya View Post
true wealth is having both time AND money. I am working on wealth to give me both.
I'll help you a little bit, you'll never have enough wealth. Time is much more valuable.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 12:16 AM

I'll help you a little bit, you'll never have enough wealth. Time is much more valuable.
of course, but not the point. When you have wealth, true wealth, you are free to do anything. Money becomes irrelvant cause you have what you need if you also learn how to live responibly in your means. Education in wealth building is not something ANY college teaches (or the professors might be rich themselves I'd guess) but it's through mentoring (and lots of reading) with someone who lives the lifestyle you dream of, and building a "B" type business, something that gives you regenerative income without being there by leveraging your time.

The only thing that separates us 95% of the people who fight over 5% of the money and the 5% of the people who control 95% of the money is information.

For those of you in college, ask yourself 'what is the lifestyle I want to live, not what is the job I want'.
Define - learn- do. Define what you want, learn how to acheive it, do it.
We 95%ers do it backwards, Do (pick a job), learn how to do the job, and that defines our lifestyle.

pretty backwards.

(for the record, I like money, but I love free time)

ok, I'm out

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 12:30 AM

I'm pretty focused on the monetary pursuit. I do think recent generations have become more fiscally minded. We're more consumer oriented than we were in the past (most of us want iPhones, HDTV cool cars, nice homes etc.) and consumerism is a costly trait. Like others, I try not to let my desire for money overpower my other, higher concerns in life.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm pretty focused on the monetary pursuit. I do think recent generations have become more fiscally minded. We're more consumer oriented than we were in the past (most of us want iPhones, HDTV cool cars, nice homes etc.) and consumerism is a costly trait. Like others, I try not to let my desire for money overpower my other, higher concerns in life.
There's no difference in "consumer oriented" between the generations.

You simply want things people from older generations don't. And they want... get ready for this... items far more expensive than your little iPhone and the cheap cars that kids today want. My dad had a brand new sports car when he was 17 back in 1964. You know many kids buying new cars for themselves when they are 17 today?

Kids.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I find as I progress through life, my standard of living increases proportionally to my income. So I've never really felt as rich as I thought I would at my income level. There are still bills, debts, risks. I don't think I'd ever get really rich enough in my profession where that wasn't a worry, save via the lottery.
I have always felt the same way. And if you are smart, when things get tough (as they are for us presently.... you can still get by.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:19 AM

Ok.
In all reality, there are some of us that want to just take the 8 semesters of classes and get the fark out of college without having to save up $50,000 beforehand or taking semesters off to work so I don't have to go into debt. I'm working my butt off to make it out in 4 years so I don't have to do an extra semester.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:25 AM

Woah... I am in school now and with the right planning- it can be done w/o major debt.

Oh, and time...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2007, 01:44 AM

Time and money = Happiness? I thought time was money. A crazy cabbie told me that in NYC.

Anyways, I'm going to be able to manage graduating with only $8,000 worth of debt. It will probably be less, because I'm saving up during the semesters for the one ahead. No problem.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 02:05 AM

It's really hard not to be concerned with accumulating wealth in this society.

I can tell you that my income has doubled in the last 6 years, and as my income has increased my happiness has not. In fact I can tell you that some very good memories have been made when we were flat broke and living in a crappy place with a really, REALLY crappy car.

That's not to say that I am particularly UNhappy now. Just not any happier than I was before. Sure, I don't have the money worries that I did before but money is neither the only, nor the most important concern in life.

I think it is important to differentiate between happiness and pleasure. We often confuse the two but money CAN buy one, and NOT the other.

Don't get me wrong, I DO care about money. It's just that I am concerned with being secure in maintaining what we have but not really with attaining more. I do put into my 401(k), not so that I can be wealthy someday but so that I hopefully won't have the WORRY of money when I am too old to work. I don't, however, work overtime and I definitely don't bother with the lottery. I have better things to do than to give my time to some company and I just don't need to be rich.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
In all reality, there are some of us that want to just take the 8 semesters of classes and get the fark out of college without having to save up $50,000 beforehand or taking semesters off to work so I don't have to go into debt. I'm working my butt off to make it out in 4 years so I don't have to do an extra semester.
Why not work and go to school?

Justify your debt however you want. You'll still be owing someone money and in my mind that is a very bad thing. I'll admit that it is my opinion.

Some people have no problem owing people money. Mainstream thinking. Not me.

Some people like loaning people money and making money. Still not me.

Some people have patience and work hard for what they have accomplished without debt. Me.

You can stay in the mainstream, you seem comfortable there. I am on a different path than most people, I'll admit that.

And btw, a bachelor's in 4 years. Piece of cake.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
It's really hard not to be concerned with accumulating wealth in this society.
No. It's. Not.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 02:49 AM

No. It's. Not.
Uh…says the guy who's apparently rich enough to pay for school without taking out any loans or taking time out to work full-time.
Chuck
___

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 02:53 AM

Why not work and go to school?

Justify your debt however you want. You'll still be owing someone money and in my mind that is a very bad thing. I'll admit that it is my opinion.

Some people like loaning people money and making money. Still not me.

Some people have patience and work hard for what they have accomplished without debt. Me.

You can stay in the mainstream, you seem comfortable there. I am on a different path than most people, I'll admit that.

And btw, a bachelor's in 4 years. Piece of cake.
I put in 20 hours a week making $8.50 an hour. I've managed to save a good amount and I actually got an extra scholarship this year, but when I have to pay rent, car repairs, insurance, gas, food, etc all out of pocket, it doesn't go very far. Sure I could give up every spare moment and get a night job sometime but I know it would wear me out and my grades would plummet.

Bachelors in four years? Of course it's easy, if you're doing business, psychology, economics, design, etc. Not mechanical engineering. The vast majority stay at least one extra semester, if not two.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 03:06 AM

No. It's. Not.
Yes. It. Is.

You're just so much better than the rest of us that it's easy for you. Us normal people sometimes struggle with it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 03:08 AM

As long as I have the money I need to live comfortably (not extravagantly), not owe any large sums of money, and realize my dreams I don't require wealth. I don't expect to have a luxury car, or a mansion. About the only thing I do expect top-of-the-line is my personal computer, a Mac of course.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 03:34 AM

Uh…says the guy who's apparently rich enough to pay for school without taking out any loans or taking time out to work full-time.
That's what I was thinking. If he can afford $50k in schooling (in less than four years apparently) without difficulty, he is not someone that most people can relate to.

Seattle
Jan 24, 2007, 04:13 AM

No. It's. Not.

I agree. I have for a long time always valued time over money. The last raise I got I traded for more vacation time. My old boss tired to set a bonus plan for more sales and I told him I did not care about the extra money. Even when I was young I did not feel that money was a big motivator for me. Even when I did not have much money I lived well below my means and never really had any problems not having the money I needed.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 05:34 AM

Do you count a mortgage as debt?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 05:37 AM

Health is more important than wealth.

As you can not enjoy your wealth without your health.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 06:52 AM

Yeah wealth is pretty much a top priority for me. I just want to have enough so I can just forget about worrying about money. It sucks when you have to worry about money and have sleepless nights because you can't pay your bills. Money does make happy.

I don't need a castle or a Rolls Royce but I just want to be able to not worry a second about being able to pay the bills. And I want to be able to buy me and my family some extras we don't really need.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules