Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woman, 85, critical after spending day in towed car

Woman, 85, critical after spending day in towed car
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2007, 03:50 PM

She's still unconcious

Constable Fanning said the woman had been driving on Kingsway Tuesday evening or night when she apparently pulled over because of a medical problem. Unable to call for help, she remained in the car as its windows iced over and in the morning was towed away.

The woman spent a chilly night in the car before it was impounded and then endured nearly 24 hours more on the lot of Busters Towing, concealed inside her iced-over Toyota, before being spotted by an employee.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 3, 2007, 04:45 PM

That's pretty sad. Poor woman.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 05:02 PM

Aparently she was unconcous the whole time. Otherwise she could have honked her horn.

What's the problem?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 05:50 PM

The problem is... they should have checked the car before towing it.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
You're right but in the winter there are a lot of broken down cars that sit by the side of the road. It's an honest mistake.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 07:01 PM

Yea, ok.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 09:36 PM

Hmmm, is there a requirement that they inspect abondon cars with frozen windows? I'm not sure of the laws there, but I suspect that their is no requirment to break into someones vehicle to see if someone is breaking the law by sleeping in their car. In this unfortunate case the woman was only sleeping because she had a medical problem. That may not make what they did illegal or wrong. Heck if they left her out there without towing, maybe she would have froze to death.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Hmmm, is there a requirement that they inspect abondon cars with frozen windows? I'm not sure of the laws there, but I suspect that their is no requirment to break into someones vehicle to see if someone is breaking the law by sleeping in their car. In this unfortunate case the woman was only sleeping because she had a medical problem. That may not make what they did illegal or wrong. Heck if they left her out there without towing, maybe she would have froze to death.
Requirement to break into the car? I never said that... Chipping away some of the ice would have been due diligence in my opinion. My point is, when you tow a car, you take on the safety requirements of towing.

Most states have laws against having people in a towed vehicle (I'm not talking about a situation where the person is being towed with chains, but rather the front of the vehicle is lifted and towed)

It wasn't safe that she was in the car.

I'm not saying it's not an honest mistake, but the towing company should have inspected the car prior to towing.

flyordiedays
Feb 3, 2007, 11:09 PM

That is sad, but it may just set the precedent for tow companies to check for occupants. I would say it's not happened before, and it usually is just an abandoned vehicle that has broken down. I certainly wouldn't hold the tow company liable for anything.

Ironically, this google ad was showing when I read this thread:

Free Junk Car Tow Away
Nationwide Junk Car Removal. Schedule Your Removal in TN Today!
JunkMyCar.com

Yose
Senior User
Feb 4, 2007, 10:48 AM

Can't really blame the tow company - after all, a the car was ticketed by a police officer and they didn't even check.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules