Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Add Mexico to U.S.

Add Mexico to U.S.
tford8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 08:59 PM

Well, this may open a brand new can of worms but I wonder why we can't add Mexico to the U.S. I know it would do away with a lot of jobs what with Border Patrol, whatever hardware store will be compensated for materials to build a fence to keep the natives out of the U.S., not to mention the ones paid to build that fence. But look at it like this, everyone complains they take our jobs and send their money (that they earn under the table, therefore no taxes are paid)home to Mexico where it goes further than here. So, if they're part of where they long to live anyway they could have the privilege of supporting our old Uncle Sam. And, since prices are lower there we would have a leverage to maybe get prices all over the U.S. lowered for competition. We'd save a ton of money since we wouldn't have to pay transportation to deport them anymore too.

And let's not forget all the companies that have laid off hundreds and thousands of U.S. workers to shut down production here and move there because it's cheaper to operate and cheaper pay for workers. We'd get a lot of money coming in again from them too. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Would serve them right. Of course we're still paying the same high dollar for their products because that's just "good business" and the expense of shipping them is higher now.

I don't have a problem with those people. They come here and don't try to change our constitution, way of life or conform us to what they left behind. We've arranged and rearranged so much of our way of life, beliefs and laws to accommodate residents from other countries so as not to offend them that I am rapidly becoming offended. It irks me that some get here and instantly start trying to impress their beliefs on us while knowing what we are about before they get here. If their way of life was so great why are they coming here instead of staying where they are readily accepted?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 09:05 PM

We don't need to add Mexico to the U. S. By the early part of the next century, the majority of the U. S. population is projected to be Hispanic.

tford8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 09:12 PM

Well yea, Karl, but we won't be able to collect taxes of any kind from them or have the land. And next century? Look around.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 09:14 PM

You mean like what is now California, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada and Utah ?

Because we already grabbed that 150 years ago.

I am thinking we make Iraq into East Carolina instead. Oh, and make Puerto Rico decide if they are in or out. Motherf8ckers have been leaching long enough without becoming a state. Plus it will make a great place to banish the homosexuals to.

Also, wrong forum.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2007, 10:06 PM

We certainly don't need to add the problems of the folks south of the border that don't come north on top of the ones we have supporting the ones that do come north. The Mexican government should be working on ending the endemic corruption in that country instead of trying to minimize their potential individual involvement in Mexico's "dirty war" disappearances and the like. And the people of Mexico need to say "enough is enough" and demand that sort of reform NOW.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 10:26 PM

Let's just annex the whole world. No more immigration problem! Except for those "real" aliens.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 11:08 PM

Wow tford8, thats pretty stupid, I mean if you're serious, I'll give you some real reasons.

Some of the similarities exist between this and why we don't want Puerto Rico to become a state, the language. The dominant language would have to become english, way too much transformation that can take place any time in the not -too-distand future. And the flag, I don't know why, but we like having 50 stars on it.

And while Puerto Rico has the Dollar (I think so), THe currency is different. Even though the mexican peso is almost exactly ten to a dollar, it would take way too much time and effort to distribute the US dollar around and get rid of the peso.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Wow tford8, thats pretty stupid, I mean if you're serious, I'll give you some real reasons.

Some of the similarities exist between this and why we don't want Puerto Rico to become a state, the language. The dominant language would have to become english, way too much transformation that can take place any time in the not -too-distand future. And the flag, I don't know why, but we like having 50 stars on it.

And while Puerto Rico has the Dollar (I think so), THe currency is different. Even though the mexican peso is almost exactly ten to a dollar, it would take way too much time and effort to distribute the US dollar around and get rid of the peso.
I don't think any of those are good reasons. First, the US has no official language. There's no reason that those areas couldn't remain primarily Spanish speaking. Second, I'm pretty sure they decided that they wouldn't be putting any more stars on the flag even if we get new states. Third, it wouldn't be difficult at all to change currencies. You just start distributing only dollars to the banks there and people can go into the banks to change their old money into new. Also stores would accept both for a long time but give change in dollars and cents. No problem.

tford8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 11:36 PM

Gee Sub, what was I thinking in looking at possibly ending the "border war" and keeping and generating more dollars in the U.S. when there are so much bigger problems like currency and language. I guess that was "pretty stupid". Oh, FYI, I wasn't talking about Puerto Rico. But, it really doesn't matter because no one that posts here has the clout to do anything with our government decisions. So, really all this amounts to is opinions and everyone is entitled to their own opinion without it being called stupid.

On the other hand, Ghoser may have an idea there. lol

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 11:42 PM

I don't know, the boarder problem has been a problem for a long time, I think if it was important enough, someone would have fixed it by now, no? A lot of people really care about money is all I was trying to say. Everyone must still be attacking me because I still hate anime.

And I'm pretty sure the official US language is english, i'll look it up.

Ok, it's not, but more than half of the US speaks it. What I'm getting at, is all the signs would have to be changed to english, all the textbooks in school would have to be changed to english, etc.
( Last edited by Sub; Feb 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 11:47 PM

And I'm pretty sure the official US language is english, i'll look it up.
No, the US has no official language. I guarantee it.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 28, 2007, 01:04 AM

I'd rather join with Mexico than Canada. JOKE! GOTCHA!!!

flyordiedays
Feb 28, 2007, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
No, the US has no official language. I guarantee it.
nonhuman is indeed correct.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 03:49 AM

Lets also not forget that Mexico is an industrialized country. And are pretty well self-sufficient (One of the very few in Latin America) And that the problem with immigration in this country could be fixed, or at least made better through some serious immigration reform. To be honest the vast majority of illegal immigrants come here and do the jobs most of us American's wouldn't do. As far as people working without paying taxes, well, blame the corporations that hire them to begin with, plus they will never enjoy such things as public assistance, financial aid, true freedom, etc. Its not just Mexico that constitutes the immigrant world. Why pick on them??? We could just start annexing the rest of the world too by those standards.

Also, be worried about our companies sending people to India or China. And those are the kinds of jobs that you or I would not do for the kind of money that people in other countries would do it for. Its just economics. Blame the corporations for that....

I am done!
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Rumor
Feb 28, 2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
You mean like what is now California, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada and Utah ?

Because we already grabbed that 150 years ago.

I am thinking we make Iraq into East Carolina instead. Oh, and make Puerto Rico decide if they are in or out. Motherf8ckers have been leaching long enough without becoming a state. Plus it will make a great place to banish the homosexuals to.

Also, wrong forum.
This is one of the most asinine comments I've ever read.

1) The US Federal government has been trying to get Puerto Rico to join the US as a state. The citizens of Puerto Rico do not want this.

2) Puerto Rico is a US territory and uses the US dollar.

3) Almost everyone in Puerto Rico speak english and spanish. There are very few that are born there that do not speak english.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 11:31 AM

"Can I quote L.B.J.? I will not send American boys eight or ten thousand miles around the world to do a job that Asian boys oughtta be doin' for themselves." (Full Metal Jacket)

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 01:23 PM

I spent time in Mexico last year (not the resorts...REAL Mexico), and from everything I observed, it is nearly a third-world country. I can't even believe this thread exists.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I can't even believe this thread exists.
You obviously don't spend enough time here.

Rumor
Feb 28, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
You obviously don't spend enough time here.
Less than 1000 post till you clone your clone, eh?

VoicesInMyHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 01:56 PM

OK, to begin with, this thread is ridiculous.

I am Mexican, born and raised. I also got my Ph.D. and did a postdoc in the US: eight years altogether living in two different states (Wisconsin and Iowa),I´ve also travelled all over the country, so I know what the US is about. I had the chance to stay, but I am now back in Mexico, I couldn´t stand the Bush-induced xenophobia and, more than that, the stupidity and mentality that gives rise to comments such as the one that started this thread.

Who or what in earth makes you think that we would like to join the US??

We may be poor, corrupt, whatever. We are aware of that, and unbeknownst to you, there are many of us here that are trying to change things. Mexico is a beautiful country, and the fact that some areas lack the sanitized, generic, plastic-like landscape of the US, does not make us an undesirable place to live.

We are proud to be Mexicans. We are proud of our country, traditions, history, and culture. We have survived the unrelented imperialism of the US and other powers in the 19th and 20th century, the same imperialism and ethnocentricity that caused us to lose more than half of our territory to the "peaceful and friendly" country up north, in an uncalled, uneven and abusive war. And, if you knew your history, you´d be aware of the abuses and genocide against both mexicans and native americans that took place on those territories after they were taken away from us. And you should NOT be proud of that.

So, take your so-called "culture", based more on buying a gas-guzzling SUV and whatever crap is advertised on TV than actual history and traditions. Take your thanksgiving, superbowl, star-spangled banner, take your stupid isolationism and the stupid idea that your country is the best in the world and keep it. Nobody else wants it. Wake up to the fact that the only reason that you get immigrants is because people can make money over there, that´s it. That´s the bottom line.

These stupid notions are a significant part of that arrogance and idiocy that makes the US the most hated country in the world.

And I have family in the US, and some of my very best friends live there, and I do visit them as often as I can. However, they think for themselves and acknowledge the fact that every country is great, has good and bad things, and everybody is proud of their country, culture and identity. They don´t have to put the rest of the world down to be proud of being Americans. They are a part of the world, not their owners. And there are many people like this in the US; but stupid idiots like the one that started the thread (and the others that actually followed the line of thought) give your country and your people a terrible reputation.

Keep it up.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Less than 1000 post till you clone your clone, eh?
Well, something will happen, though in my grand tradition it will be neither clever, nor exciting.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 03:02 PM

I'm all for Mexico joining us as it would solve many problems. The Mexican government may even consider under good conditions too, but the people of Mexico would never go for it. That is a nation of such high national pride, the chance that they would lose their identity would be a huge turn-off to them. Just look at how bent up some european countries are getting for abandoning their currency for the Euro, and that's just a freaking coin. Although someday all the nations will be united (except for a few off-shore pirate nations), I don't see it happening like this. It would be really offensive to Mexicans that we are here to save them, we would have to adapt to them as well for the Mexicans to agree to something like this, and yet again, would Americans want to give up their identity?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TubaMuffins View Post
That is a nation of such high national pride,
that millions of them run for our border.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 03:17 PM

that millions of them run for our border.
That doesn't change that they're fiercely proud to be Mexicans; it only shows great disappointment with the government.

If Mexico became a U.S. territory, it'd be interesting. It might work out if they can get rid of all the corruption and establish a stable economy, work ethics, etc.

Besides, as our great President Bush said, we need to help out the Latin speaking countries.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 03:20 PM

Bush-induced xenophobia?!?!

WE WISH!

If Bush felt like most of us, he'd have the border lined with explosives, cannons, and the Marines.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
That doesn't change that they're fiercely proud to be Mexicans; it only shows great disappointment with the government.
If they really had pride, they'd be too proud to take our money, let alone do it in an illicit manner.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post

I am Mexican, born and raised. I also got my Ph.D. and did a postdoc in the US: eight years altogether living in two different states (Wisconsin and Iowa),I´ve also travelled all over the country, so I know what the US is about

It makes you wonder how is that the only decently written post was from a Spanish native speaker, whereas most others were incoherent, poorly structured, and mostly, idiotic (or worse), but still “American” (like if America was a nation instead a continent ).

I know well where he got his PhD, but still it makes you wonder what you guys are up to.

Anyhow, US is ok thanks –mostly- to the influx of foreigners. It is deep in the roots of this country. It also makes you wonder that it is now, when emperor Bush rules, that isolationism and xenophobia are in the rise. I guess this confirms that Bush doesn’t really have a clue on how “his” nation got started. Apparently, he doesn't know that much about anything else.

What a lousy job US citizens did when electing him. I know it is not my damn business to mention this fact, but since US politics affect us all globally, it would feel good to know that US elections are in hands of responsible, educated people, meaning by that, US citizens.

But of course, you read Dakar and RAILhead posts and give up all hope...

Cheers from the Netherlands or as VoicesInMyHead and some other macnn users would say "saludos desde los Paises Bajos".
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 05:19 PM

If my posts were inaccurate, please show me. Last time I checked we did have a large influx of illegals from south of the border.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
Anyhow, US is ok thanks –mostly- to the influx of foreigners. It is deep in the roots of this country. It also makes you wonder that it is now, when emperor Bush rules, that isolationism and xenophobia are in the rise.
What you're referring to is generally a legal influx of foreigners. And while Bush is a whole lot of things, xenophobic isn't one of them. Where Mexico is concerned, he's exactly the opposite.

What riles me...apart from the millions of illegals and the failure of the federal government to stop it...is people pulling this "isolationism and xenophobia" notion out of their asses and applying it to the current situation. "Xenophobia" and "isolationism" are convenient finger-pointing words being used by those who just can't fathom why in the world would the US demand that foreigners come here legally. It's a warped extension of political correctness, if political correctness can get any more warped. The cherry on top was last year when they were marching in the streets nationwide, proclaiming "We are not illegal, we are human beings" (whatever the **** that means) and "We demand immigrant rights".

Yeah...no.

Rumor
Feb 28, 2007, 06:58 PM

They should be able to have immigrant rights. Only if they go through the legal immigration process.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 07:09 PM

If they really had pride, they'd be too proud to take our money, let alone do it in an illicit manner.
That's dangerously close to a Doofy comment. I'll let it slide.

However, it's painfully obvious you haven't a clue about Mexican heritage and how important it is culturally, so you'd best stop now before making an idiot of yourself.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
They should be able to have immigrant rights. Only if they go through the legal immigration process.
Exactly, and the fact is they are not even immigrants until they're legal.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 08:16 PM

I don't think expanding further is going to help the US any further. I'd rather see it split up into smaller pieces: North, South and let Alaska and Hawaii become their own countries already.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 08:34 PM

I find it funny that we complain about Mexicans coming into the United States. Lord knows we did openly manufacture a war with Mexico, who had only reciently gained their freedom from Spain, in order to take over half their country. Everyone seems to forget about Polk and that little war we had because we had a grand notion of `Manifest destiny` to maintain.

I would go so far as to call The Alamo a terrorist, or seperists, group of illigial foreigners who were put down by the legit government of texas. (This will no doubt cause massive amounts of hate directed at me, but I find that whole war to be a massive blight on the history of American.)

If the same thing happened in the US today, we would probably invade the home country of those foreigners.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I find it funny that we complain about Mexicans coming into the United States. Lord knows we did openly manufacture a war with Mexico, who had only reciently gained their freedom from Spain, in order to take over half their country. Everyone seems to forget about Polk and that little war we had because we had a grand notion of `Manifest destiny` to maintain.

I would go so far as to call The Alamo a terrorist, or seperists, group of illigial foreigners who were put down by the legit government of texas. (This will no doubt cause massive amounts of hate directed at me, but I find that whole war to be a massive blight on the history of American.)

If the same thing happened in the US today, we would probably invade the home country of those foreigners.
I don't think history is of any consideration to the type of people who like to make fun of countries like Mexico and France. I'm constantly giving history lessons to people in the political lounge because, apparently, 40 years is too far back for anyone to care about.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 09:42 PM

That's dangerously close to a Doofy comment.
Wow. Do you spend all night dreaming about me or what?

I mean, I know I'm sexy and stuff but the thought of you fapping away whilst dreaming of ol' Doof is just a bit too much, thanks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
That would be called the Gulf War.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 10:27 PM

East Carolina
I thought that was a funny concept.

Carry on with the political bickering.

-Owl

tford8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 10:42 PM

Well, I said this would probably open a can of worms but I never expected this!

First off, Voicesinmyhead........you need to stop listening to those voices in your head so much. Personally, I think you're a snob. I didn't trash or make fun of anything about your territory, culture or people, nor did I say Mexico was an undesirable place to live. We have our own poor, our own corruption and "whatever" just like any place else. There's a lot of things wrong in America just like every place else as well. So how DID you stand to be here long enough to use our educational system to get your Ph.D.? And pray tell, how can you stand it that you have friends and family that live in this terrible country that you come to visit as often as you can. Doesn't that irk you?

Just like you're proud to be Mexican everyone is proud to be from whatever country they're from mistakes and all. Yes, the U.S. has made poor judgment calls but so has every other country in history and in present. I wasn't around in the 19th and 20th century but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life apologizing for something that happened then. I won't apologize for being American either. You may think that I'm stupid and have low mentality but that's your opinion and I respect that. I'm still entitled to my opinion. We in the U.S. have freedom of speech and opinion falls into that category I guess. I will, however, congratulate you on your Ph.D. but apologize that you had to endure 8 years in the U.S. to get it.

With all that said it was not my intent to "save" anyone. If you read my first post at all show me where I said anything about saving anyone, deplorable living standards or anything derogatory against Mexico. You on the other hand come in with your hackles up like I insulted you personally and trashed the U.S. and bragging that you got your education here and "had the chance to stay but are back in Mexico". Good for you. You're where you want to be.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 11:56 PM

That's dangerously close to a Doofy comment. I'll let it slide.
There's one I've not heard before.

However, it's painfully obvious you haven't a clue about Mexican heritage and how important it is culturally
Here's how it works. They can keep their country and customs and work on solving their problems or they can immigrate here legally and assimilate into the culture (this does not mean giving up everything you are). As it is now, they're trying to have their cake and eat it to.

you'd best stop now before making an idiot of yourself.
I prefer to go down like the Hindenberg.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wow. Do you spend all night dreaming about me or what?

I mean, I know I'm sexy and stuff but the thought of you fapping away whilst dreaming of ol' Doof is just a bit too much, thanks.
I'm giving you a high-five just because its the most random thing I've been called in a while.

kernokerno
Mar 1, 2007, 12:15 AM

no, thank you.
U.S. don't own the world you know.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

I'm giving you a high-five just because its the most random thing I've been called in a while.
High five back at ya.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

kernokerno
Mar 1, 2007, 12:24 AM

I am Mexican, born and raised. I also got my Ph.D. and did a postdoc in the US: eight years altogether living in two different states (Wisconsin and Iowa),I´ve also travelled all over the country, so I know what the US is about. I had the chance to stay, but I am now back in Mexico, I couldn´t stand the Bush-induced xenophobia and, more than that, the stupidity and mentality that gives rise to comments such as the one that started this thread.

Who or what in earth makes you think that we would like to join the US??

We may be poor, corrupt, whatever. We are aware of that, and unbeknownst to you, there are many of us here that are trying to change things. Mexico is a beautiful country, and the fact that some areas lack the sanitized, generic, plastic-like landscape of the US, does not make us an undesirable place to live.

We are proud to be Mexicans. We are proud of our country, traditions, history, and culture. We have survived the unrelented imperialism of the US and other powers in the 19th and 20th century, the same imperialism and ethnocentricity that caused us to lose more than half of our territory to the "peaceful and friendly" country up north, in an uncalled, uneven and abusive war. And, if you knew your history, you´d be aware of the abuses and genocide against both mexicans and native americans that took place on those territories after they were taken away from us. And you should NOT be proud of that.

So, take your so-called "culture", based more on buying a gas-guzzling SUV and whatever crap is advertised on TV than actual history and traditions. Take your thanksgiving, superbowl, star-spangled banner, take your stupid isolationism and the stupid idea that your country is the best in the world and keep it. Nobody else wants it. Wake up to the fact that the only reason that you get immigrants is because people can make money over there, that´s it. That´s the bottom line.

These stupid notions are a significant part of that arrogance and idiocy that makes the US the most hated country in the world.

And I have family in the US, and some of my very best friends live there, and I do visit them as often as I can. However, they think for themselves and acknowledge the fact that every country is great, has good and bad things, and everybody is proud of their country, culture and identity. They don´t have to put the rest of the world down to be proud of being Americans. They are a part of the world, not their owners. And there are many people like this in the US; but stupid idiots like the one that started the thread (and the others that actually followed the line of thought) give your country and your people a terrible reputation.

Keep it up.
el mejor post que he leído

I too have family in the US. What make me LOL is that everytime i cross the border, the great americans there ask me "why don't you live here" (with a smartass tone). I just say: because I don't like your Country to live in. They just shut up and let me in :-P

This kind of US citizens give a bad reputation to the rest of you, they think their country is so desirable.

I want to think they are just a monority.
( Last edited by kernokerno; Mar 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM. )

VoicesInMyHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2007, 02:10 PM

OK tford8, let's put it this way:

Why can't we add the US to Mexico? You're right about the border patrol jobs, but I'm sure those people could be easily accomodated in the agricultural sector, amongst the people they so dilligently killed and discriminated. That would be a nice way to readapt them to society. But the BP is would not be my foremost concern.
This country would have 82 states, 32 original states and 50 annexed new ones. There would be some cultural differences between the original Mexico and the new annexed part to the north. However, those differences would be (are) diminishing, given that the number of hispanics in the US is increasing steadily. Spanish would become the official language (Mexico has an official language, unlike the US), and is already taught in schools, so that shouldn't be a problem. The peso will become the currency, and people should be able to change their old dollars for pesos in banks. At least the currency would be much less boring than it is now: our bills are not all boring green, we have blue, red, green, orange and burgundy, and in different sizes. We even have two plastic, unforgeable bills, the $20 and $50.
There would be a constant influx of raw materials from the south to the new annexed territories, and that would be a huge advantage, given that there would be no tariffs and taxes. All the agricultural products from the original states would find open new markets in the new states, which would mean an influx of cash to the less favored regions in the south, and less population mobility.
In respect to the army and defense budget, Mexico, as a peaceful country, does not need to spend 650 billion dollars a year in an army, so most that money would be funneled to solve social problems, for example, all the poverty in the southern part of the newly annexed states (New Orleans, for instance). This can also be used to integrate the educational systems and implement the teaching of Mexican History, the replacement of all old US flags with new Mexican ones, and the replacement of all the old english signs with bilingual ones. (see, we would care about non-spanish speaking population!)
And, of course, one of the first things that would be needed to be done will be to replace that stupid, obsolete and absurd Imperial system that is in use only in the US. That's right, no other country in the world uses that absurdly old system, not even England, and they invented it. We would replace all miles, feet, pounds and fahrenheit with the world standard: the metric system, and you will be grateful for that, believe me.
Culturally, I believe Mexican culture will fill the huge void that the US has in that respect. We will still allow the new states to celebrate the 4th of July, I mean, it's really only a boring display of fireworks and that's it. Of course, september 16th will be Independence Day, and celebrated with parades all over the country, like we do today. In my opinion, 5 de Mayo (completely meaningless in Mexico, except maybe in Puebla) will remain a minor, regional holiday. Other than that, the Posadas, Dia de Muertos, Candelaria, etc. will be adopted by the new states, eventually becoming national traditions.

Hell, sounds like a fine idea. Why isn't the US asking to become a part of Mexico??

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 02:19 PM

This country would have 82 states, 32 original states and 50 annexed new ones. There would be some cultural differences between the original Mexico and the new annexed part to the north. However, those differences would be (are) diminishing, given that the number of hispanics in the US is increasing steadily. Spanish would become the official language (Mexico has an official language, unlike the US), and is already taught in schools, so that shouldn't be a problem. The peso will become the currency, and people should be able to change their old dollars for pesos in banks. At least the currency would be much less boring than it is now: our bills are not all boring green, we have blue, red, green, orange and burgundy, and in different sizes. We even have two plastic, unforgeable bills, the $20 and $50.
There would be a constant influx of raw materials from the south to the new annexed territories, and that would be a huge advantage, given that there would be no tariffs and taxes. All the agricultural products from the original states would find open new markets in the new states, which would mean an influx of cash to the less favored regions in the south, and less population mobility.
In respect to the army and defense budget, Mexico, as a peaceful country, does not need to spend 650 billion dollars a year in an army, so most that money would be funneled to solve social problems, for example, all the poverty in the southern part of the newly annexed states (New Orleans, for instance). This can also be used to integrate the educational systems and implement the teaching of Mexican History, the replacement of all old US flags with new Mexican ones, and the replacement of all the old english signs with bilingual ones. (see, we would care about non-spanish speaking population!)
And, of course, one of the first things that would be needed to be done will be to replace that stupid, obsolete and absurd Imperial system that is in use only in the US. That's right, no other country in the world uses that absurdly old system, not even England, and they invented it. We would replace all miles, feet, pounds and fahrenheit with the world standard: the metric system, and you will be grateful for that, believe me.
Culturally, I believe Mexican culture will fill the huge void that the US has in that respect. We will still allow the new states to celebrate the 4th of July, I mean, it's really only a boring display of fireworks and that's it. Of course, september 16th will be Independence Day, and celebrated with parades all over the country, like we do today. In my opinion, 5 de Mayo (completely meaningless in Mexico, except maybe in Puebla) will remain a minor, regional holiday. Other than that, the Posadas, Dia de Muertos, Candelaria, etc. will be adopted by the new states, eventually becoming national traditions.

Hell, sounds like a fine idea. Why isn't the US asking to become a part of Mexico??
I was going to respond to this seriously, until I realized he was saying the US was being absorbed by Mexico, not the other way around. That's like a cheesecake eating a person.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 03:03 PM

No, that's using tford8's medicine to teach him/you a lesson of what arrogance means...

The sad part is that you didn't get it...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 03:08 PM

The sad part is that you didn't get it...
Not really. I didn't bother reading tfords post.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 03:14 PM

Not really. I didn't bother reading tfords post.
That's always a good strategy to argue

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 03:19 PM

That's always a good strategy to argue
Well pardon me for not reading the tripe. Would you like me to issue a public apology?

Forum Links
Forum Rules