Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Labor class action v. Apple may wait for Supreme Court decision

Labor class action v. Apple may wait for Supreme Court decision
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 26, 2014, 01:17 PM

Lawyers for the plaintiffs in a class action suit filed against Apple are seeking to delay the case until a US Supreme Court ruling is handed down, says The Recorder. The suit, filed in the Northern District of California last year, accuses Apple of failing to pay wages for time workers spend waiting in bag-check lines. The Supreme Court is currently reviewing a case called Integrity Staffing Solutions Inc. v. Busk, and deciding whether hourly workers must be compensated for work-related security screenings. Should the Supreme Court agree, the plaintiffs' attorneys in the Apple case suggest it will strongly influence their own progress.

The Busk case has been brought up before, and Apple has insisted that its own bag-check system doesn't resemble that of Integrity Staffing, which was funneling every worker through a common procedure. The company claims that over 37,000 current and former Apple Store workers could be affected if owes wages.

Several national-level business groups have submitted amici curiae briefs to the Supreme Court, claiming that it could harm businesses if they're forced to compensate people for time spent in security checks. For workers though, it could translate to hundreds or thousands of dollars per person. A named plaintiff in the Apple case, Amanda Frlekin, estimates that she could be owed up to $1,500 for her time with Apple up until 2013.

prl99
Senior User
Mar 26, 2014, 01:43 PM

This is stupid. I had to go through a security check every day I went into work (33 years) and my clock didn't start until I got to my desk. Sorry, this is considered commute time and businesses don't normally pay for the time it takes to get to work.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2014, 02:02 PM

The explanation:

At the bottom of every class action lawsuit, there is a scum_sucking
ambulance_chasing lawyer.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2014, 06:20 PM

If this lawsuit succeeds, I am going to sue the TSA for all my lost time at the airport.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2014, 08:41 PM

I didn't know you worked for the TSA.

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2014, 04:00 PM

ISTR that in Europe, companies ARE required to pay for this time. But, of course, this being the U.S., we have people like prl99 who take the side of the corporations instead of, well, themselves. *sigh* When did "I'm an American" become so totally synonymous with "I"m an incredible idiot"? Under Reagan, I think, but I'm not sure.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 27, 2014, 04:25 PM

We'll be doing an update on this later tonight. The judge refused the motion to delay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules