Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 10)
Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 05:20 PM

I'll be on a little late tonight. Probably around 11pm EST.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 06:13 PM

Two cool things happened today while playing.

First off I'm playing with my buddy cheezy, and all of a sudden I realize mattyb (veteran35th) is in our lobby, ended up playing probably about 7 rounds with him, both on my team and opposing. Matty, let it be known I was very close to tea-bagging your corpse on several occasions.

Secondly, and more hilariously, I'm deep in enemy territory as I get my 4th kill and care package. I find a small corner and set my flare, a few seconds pass and an enemy runs right past the flare...only to be KILLED by the f**king care package hitting him on the head! I didn't even know it was possible, but there it was clear as day. I was in stitches the rest of the match.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 07:07 PM

See, it's moments like this I wish MW2 had a theater mode.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Two cool things happened today while playing.

First off I'm playing with my buddy cheezy, and all of a sudden I realize mattyb (veteran35th) is in our lobby, ended up playing probably about 7 rounds with him, both on my team and opposing. Matty, let it be known I was very close to tea-bagging your corpse on several occasions.

Secondly, and more hilariously, I'm deep in enemy territory as I get my 4th kill and care package. I find a small corner and set my flare, a few seconds pass and an enemy runs right past the flare...only to be KILLED by the f**king care package hitting him on the head! I didn't even know it was possible, but there it was clear as day. I was in stitches the rest of the match.
Yes, I'll use the 'poor ping' excuse for my sh1tty performance and the fact that you managed to kill me lots. I'll also categorize those matches under 'warm-up'. Matt is fine BTW.

You wait until you kill yourself with a care package. Not so f**kin funny then, lost my kill streak !

I did do a bit better later on, managed to get up a few ranks as well. Tried the Ground War game - nice, no probs playing that whenever you want. The only issue that I have is that with up to 18 players, I had a few host migrations due to bloody awful lag. Skid row is really bad for drops during the domination type, half the packages are taken by the other team or land on a roof.

But an apology, its nearly 01H30 here and I'm knackered, I need some sleep. Another time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 11:55 PM

I'm makin' a quick meal before everyone logs on after 11. So if I don't respond, gimme time.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2009, 12:08 AM

I'll be on in another 20 mins. Gotta eat dinner.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2009, 04:05 AM

Well that was fun. Too bad that pussy whipped Bogues logged off as soon as my brother & I signed on.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2009, 05:39 AM

Does anyone else feel that the Bandolier perk should be part of this game? I seem to run out of ammo fairly frequently and if I don't have scavenger then I really have to make sure that I pick up weapons. Maybe I'm not as accurate as others, although it seems I'm within the norm from my friends list, but the SCAR in particular really does eat through the bullets.

Finally, I f**king HATE Quarry.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Too bad that pussy whipped Bogues logged off as soon as my brother & I signed on.
although true, i logged off under my own willpower due to having a 8am meeting about 1.5 hours away from my house this morning, sorry boys

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
although true, i logged off under my own willpower due to having a 8am meeting about 1.5 hours away from my house this morning, sorry boys
Hmmm, does 'own willpower' include gettin' some?

If so then I commend you, I actually turned down sex recently in lieu of gaming out with my Mac nerds.

Edit: I'll be on about the same time tonight, but my g/f is sleeping over so I doubt I'll plug in the mic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2009, 09:24 PM

If so then I commend you, I actually turned down sex recently in lieu of gaming out with my Mac nerds.
I don't know if you deserve more credit or less after this.

---

I think I mentioned a 8p[m start for tonight, but I just showered, I'm gonna eat and watch an episode of the Wire, so I'll back on around 10. I suspect I'll be the first back on.

---

Interesting conundrum - do you invite mattyb and kavV1ka into the same party? I say no, as one of them is gonna get royal connection ****ed.

---

Bogues, congratulations on being my first claymore kill. Not only that, but I think you got me a special title because it was a payback kill as well.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think I mentioned a 8p[m start for tonight, but I just showered, I'm gonna eat and watch an episode of the Wire, so I'll back on around 10. I suspect I'll be the first back on.
Well, I was ready at 8. Ho well, I got a chance to experience Multiplayer Team Deathmatch and I can see why you guys like this game. The matchmaking is just as good as, if not better, than Halo, but there seems to be alot more complexity to the game play. I think I only kept up with half of what was going on. Definitely a fun experience. Liked the Kill-Cam, half the time I couldn't see what killed me and it was nice to actually be able to see what did kill me.

I still have to figure out the rest of the game.

Have fun with your meet-up!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2009, 12:40 AM

Hmmmm... no manual at the Activision site, yet, for the game. I thought I'd get more info on the game.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2009, 05:37 AM

I'm in love ...

with the M93 Raffica.

What a weapon. Like having an M16 in a pistol. Pure pwnage.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2009, 01:29 PM

Wow, I had an awesome Special Ops session last night and man, some of them are freakin' really challenging. One of my friends was saying when you unlock the last missions, there's one mission where all you have is grenades and you and your partner must kill 10 Juggernauts! Basically, you hit them with nades and then shank them.

I'm also going through the game on veteran and some of the missions are pretty damn tough, especially the one in Rio where you're chasing the baddie down.

I love this game...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2009, 05:06 PM

Just curious, for those of you who have ranked enough, what's your Killstreak loadout look like?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2009, 05:43 PM

3 UAV
5 Predator Missile (also serves as a quick view as to where the enemies are on the map).
9 Pave Low (armored chopper)

For a short while I was using the 8 Emergency Air Drop, but you either have to throw it out in the open, or you generally lose 2-3 of the crates to unreachable terrain. Dumb.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 07:04 PM

UAV
Care Package
Predator Missle

In a recent match I started with a killstreak garnering me a Care Package. It was the Pave Low and I ended up getting over a dozen kills before it flew away. I ended the match with 23 kills and 3 deaths.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2009, 08:34 PM

Only 7 more achievements left. Should have it done by the end of the week.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2009, 11:53 PM

although i can't compete with KCrosbie, I have also been working on my veteran campaign and now only have 12 achievements left.

Now that i've beaten COD4 and WaW on veteran, MW2 is by far the easiest (so far) and when compared to WaW its almost a difficulty below. But i have a even better appreciation for the campaign with a veteran run, its a great experience.

In other notes can i say that i love the stats screen that shows completion % and play time for each "type", special ops, multi, single player. It's simple but i'm a fan.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2009, 11:54 PM

Just curious, for those of you who have ranked enough, what's your Killstreak loadout look like?
3 - UAW
5 - Pred Missle
7 - Attack Helicopter

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2009, 04:40 AM

3 - UAW
5 - Sentry Gun
7 - attack heli

Must admit to getting a bit fooked off with packages sometimes landing in places that you are unable to get to. Also having to run outside (when in S&D or HQ or whatever) to throw your bloody red smoke to get the package during a very intense game is bollocks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Only 7 more achievements left. Should have it done by the end of the week.
...then on to the next game?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm in love ...

with the M93 Raffica.

What a weapon. Like having an M16 in a pistol. Pure pwnage.
Unlocked it yesterday after reading this, so I equipped it. Only used it two or three times. Little kick, but deadly. Good pick.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
3 UAV
5 Predator Missile (also serves as a quick view as to where the enemies are on the map).
9 Pave Low (armored chopper)

For a short while I was using the 8 Emergency Air Drop, but you either have to throw it out in the open, or you generally lose 2-3 of the crates to unreachable terrain. Dumb.
Can you memorize the map that quickly? Also, in my experience, it doesn't show the whole map. That or last night Only 1 enemy was alive when I launched mine.

3 - UAW
5 - Pred Missle
7 - Attack Helicopter
Tell me, why do you guys prefer to Attack Helicopter to the Harrier? More mobile?

---

The reason I asked about your killstreaks is for a while I was one UAV/Care Package/Sentry Gun. It couldn't have been more annoying. You get your killstreak and then you have to start figuring out where nearby you can use it. Feels like twice the gamble if UAV is active enough to let you know if any enemies are nearby. Finally it got to the point where I was tossing my Sentry Gun smoke, and do the care package at the same time. The entire system of deferred killstreaks was just too stupid. I've since switched to UAV/Predator Missile/Harrier and I've been much happier.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2009, 12:31 PM

Tell me, why do you guys prefer to Attack Helicopter to the Harrier? More mobile?
Dunno really, didn't think about it that much. Familiarity with the 7 kill streak of CoD4 maybe? I'll try the Harrier out tonight.

The reason I asked about your killstreaks is for a while I was one UAV/Care Package/Sentry Gun. It couldn't have been more annoying. You get your killstreak and then you have to start figuring out where nearby you can use it. Feels like twice the gamble if UAV is active enough to let you know if any enemies are nearby. Finally it got to the point where I was tossing my Sentry Gun smoke, and do the care package at the same time. The entire system of deferred killstreaks was just too stupid. I've since switched to UAV/Predator Missile/Harrier and I've been much happier.
Thats what I did albeit unintentially at first. There was just too much going on to step outside and wait for a styrofoam box to bounce around. Might try your setup just to make things simpler.

I had a go on the mixed gametype - sorry don't know the name in English, where you play one round of TDM, one round of S&D, one round of HQ. Not bad but not enough people on it so hosts can be a bit dodgy. Still, it kept you on your toes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 12:37 PM

I've been managing my killstreaks depending who I play with too. If I'm on a team with bc (boycookie) and fatty, I can get away with a care package for risk. The UAV/Predator/Harrier is nice, but it feels too CoD4 (Right down to the 3/5/7 kills required, and a good 5 getting you the two kills to get to 7). Hardline is nice though.

---

Alright, next question: Frags, reg or semtex? Seems like the fuse on the reg grenade lasts forever compared to last game, whereas the semtex's is much shorter (if more obvious). I plan on changing it out on my main class tonight and see what happens.

Related: I put the throwing knife on my Ninja class (for challenges/titles/whatever) and I keep forgetting its not a frag when I want to prime a situation.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2009, 01:16 PM

I use nothing but regular frags. Playing hundreds of hours of WaW Nazi Zombies pretty much cemented the cook time for grenades in my head, and as far as I can tell it's the same in MW2. They're not to useful when you don't have the time to pre-cook them, but I've been fairly successful.

Right now I'm having a ball with the grenade launcher attachments for my various ARs. Yesterday I spot an enemy almost all the way across the submarine map (sub pens comes to mind, but that's WaW) so I let a grenade fly at watch it cascade over to the dude and blast him right in the head, garnering me a 'knocked in the head' kill. Hilarious.

Other than that it was unrepentant assrape for me last night, as I made the switch to Team Hardcore. Cheezydog plays nothing but, so I decided to switch away from TDM just as I did in WaW when I played online. Well, out of the 10 or so games I played I didn't go positive once, not ****ing once. I didn't do terrible, I just couldn't stay alive for the life of me. What I like about HC is that it gives me a chance to try out different perks. With much less health stopping power isn't needed, and with no constant radar the heartbeat meter really comes in to play.

I really need to take it easy tonight, this game is ruining my sleep schedule. I might be on only till 11:30 at the latest (let's hope)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 01:21 PM

I don't know if the cook times between 4 and WaW are the same.

Ugh, I remember people hating on the noob tubes, but never really understood till release time for 2 when that was pretty much all everyone was using. Now I understand - they're the ultimate reflex one-hit kill. Still, I see less and less of them, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I can't do HC. I'd clench so hard my rectum would go inside out.

Played some Merc TDM last night. The ability to use party chat in that is very confusing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2009, 01:25 PM

Even though the grenade launcher is a good "I'm surprised and have no time to aim" weapon I find myself getting killed with it out more than I kill with it. The lag between trigger, shot, and impact is waaaaay longer than good-ol'-fashioned bullets. It's great for clearing out rooftops and firing blindly into those dark areas that usually harbor enemies.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 01:26 PM

Yeah, that was my other complaint. I'd kill the dude then die from its impact.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2009, 01:30 PM

If any of you guys, or just you dakar, are on tonight I'd like to try out some different playlists. All I've ever played are TDM, HC TDM, and a smattering of Ground War.

Also, WTH is special ops?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 01:43 PM

If any of you guys, or just you dakar, are on tonight I'd like to try out some different playlists. All I've ever played are TDM, HC TDM, and a smattering of Ground War.
I'm such a gigantic pussy about my k/d (being able to check it at anytime is not a good thing), but I'm sure I can be talked into a few games of flag or HQ, or whatever the hell they have.

Also, WTH is special ops?
What?! Who are you? No sek I know would be that clueless.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 03:29 PM

Here are all the emblems:

Modern Warfare 2 | MW2 - Callsigns - Emblems 0-50
Modern Warfare 2 | MW2 - Callsigns - Emblems 50-100
Modern Warfare 2 | MW2 - Callsigns - Emblems 100-150
Modern Warfare 2 | MW2 - Callsigns - Emblems 150-200
Modern Warfare 2 | MW2 - Callsigns - Emblems 200-254

So many of them are either ugly or unrecognizable, but a few of the ones I look forward to:

This one looks like an Apple parody:

Edit: These may not show up.

Edit 2: yeah just right click open if you're curious.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2009, 04:11 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2009, 06:00 PM

I'll be around to try some other play lists tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 06:02 PM

If anyone needs me, I'll be polishing my riot shield in preparation.

Edit: You guys might find this useful: Callsigns - The Call of Duty Wiki -

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2009, 06:19 PM

The next kill streak I'm going to unlock is the tactical nuke, for when we play the Ground Wars matches, Although, my highest streak is 22 at the moment, I think I can push an extra 3 with the motivation of a nuke in my hands.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2009, 06:32 PM

I'm pissed. My 15 was live with a Harrier in the air when the game ended.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2009, 07:46 PM

Noob question. Now that I equipped my assault rifle with an under-rifle grenade launcher, how do I use it?

Yeah and I saw that knife throw. That is stupid...
MacBook Pro

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2009, 08:30 PM

Press right or left on the d-pad to activate the grenade launcher.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2009, 11:37 PM

Now that i've beaten COD4 and WaW on veteran, MW2 is by far the easiest (so far) and when compared to WaW its almost a difficulty below. But i have a even better appreciation for the campaign with a veteran run, its a great experience.
I beat the veteran campaign last night and it was much easier than COD4 and WaW. BTW, only got 3 spec ops missions and 2 achievements left and I'm done. I'll do it tonight. I think this is the fastest game that I'm going to complete (as far as achievements go) ever.

...then on to the next game?
Nah, then it's on to multiplayer!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 01:38 AM

...and that's why I don't play objective based games.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2009, 11:26 AM

MW2 sales pass $550m worldwide

In addition, Microsoft has confirmed some impressive Xbox Live numbers. On the first day of release alone over 5.2m multiplayer hours were logged in the game, with over 2.2m unique gamers having a go – the latter being a new Xbox Live record.

Over 11m Achievements were unlocked in the game in the first 24 hours.
Wonder how long the buzz will last. I already see comments about people getting bored.

Not me of course, NOT ME !!!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 11:40 AM

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Modern Warfare 2
2 Call of Duty 4
3 Halo 3
4 Call of Duty: WaW
5 Left 4 Dead 2 – Demo
6 GTA IV
7 Gears of War 2
8 FIFA 10
9 Halo 3: ODST
10 Madden NFL 10

Wow, CoD4 beat out Halo for the two spot. Impressive.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wonder how long the buzz will last. I already see comments about people getting bored.

Not me of course, NOT ME !!!!
I have two goals for the rest of the week: FAMAS Mastery and getting the 1st Prestige.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 01:15 PM

I've been neglecting the FAMAS.

I've gotten fairly far with SMGs, pretty much just forced myself to use them for the challenge XP. Next weapons will be the FAL and FAMAS.

Also, the wintery train-yard is my new sniper map. Not many maps I would even attempt sniping in, but one of the games last night with you guys I went +7 or so with nothing but sniping, not bad for me.

Also, also, I'm starting to come around to the 'screw the care package perk' mentality, I find myself wasting it half of the time because I'm either deep in enemy territory or inside. It also has a habit of landing on unreachable buildings.

I'd like to pass lvl 40 by this weekend, you guys and your shiny silver bars mock me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2009, 01:17 PM

I have two goals for the rest of the week: FAMAS Mastery and getting the 1st Prestige.
I didn't connect last night, but if you're above me in rank I shall be seriously pissed off. Do you know of anyone that has hit the magic 70?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 01:22 PM

I'm 39 or 40, same with boycookie. I meant to say earlier, I don't think I'll be competing with you on time played.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 01:25 PM

I've gotten fairly far with SMGs, pretty much just forced myself to use them for the challenge XP. Next weapons will be the FAL and FAMAS.
I got half-way into one of the SMGs (for my Ninja class) before I realized there was no heartbeat sensor for it, so I ditched it.

Also, the wintery train-yard is my new sniper map. Not many maps I would even attempt sniping in, but one of the games last night with you guys I went +7 or so with nothing but sniping, not bad for me.
Derail (wintery train-yard) and Estate are my two sniping maps. Wasteland sometimes, though I find the heartbeat sensor most useful on that map (Always catch people trying to flank).

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2009, 02:23 PM

I was using the FAMAS early on but have switched back to the M4A1 my cod4 weapon of choice , basically switching between red dot and heartbeat. I thought you could unlock the ability to have 2 attachments but I guess my poor lvl 20 isn't there yet.

Goals for the week/weekend are completing my veteran campaign and hopefully some more special ops so I can move to multi full time.

Anyone gonna be down for some ops/multi Friday or Saturday ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules