Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canadian Governor General guts seal and eats heart raw, draws the wrath of PETA.

Canadian Governor General guts seal and eats heart raw, draws the wrath of PETA.
Eug
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2009, 10:01 PM

At first I thought it could be going a bit far for a figurehead representative of the Queen of England to support the Inuit people in such a graphic way, but in the end I was ambivalent about it. However, it now all seems worth it.

Row erupts over Governor General's seal taste

WASHINGTON – She came, she cut, she ate — and now, after gobbling seal heart raw, Governor General Michaelle Jean is tasting the inevitable wave of political indigestion.

"Neanderthal" and "blood lust" were some of the phrases animal-rights campaigners used today to describe Jean's cultural encounter in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, in which the Queen's representative sliced off and sampled a piece of seal heart from the dripping carcass of a freshly slaughtered seal.

Mindful of the debate into which she waded, Jean pronounced her taste of seal heart to be "absolutely delicious."

Graphic video (Better quality than the one linked in that article.)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 10:29 PM

Hahahaha....you wanna talk about truck nuts?

Now THAT, is big, swingin balls.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 12:58 PM

Some people do anything as long as they get paid for it.

-t

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 12:59 PM

Interesting. PETA's latest response is that people should boycott Canadian maple syrup.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Interesting. PETA's latest response is that people should boycott Canadian maple syrup.
Everyone knows that maple syrup is Canada's only major export. This boycott will bring the Canadian government to its knees!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Everyone knows that maple syrup is Canada's only major export. This boycott will bring the Canadian government to its knees!
I thought was "Terrance and Phillip" videos
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 01:22 PM

Boycotting maple syrup will stop the killing of seals somehow.

Funny out PETA doesn't get up in arms about people eating insects.
"â€ĶI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 01:32 PM

I didn't see her gut anything. Was it just not in the video? I was hoping for more graphic violence

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Esp. since that iconic Canadian food chain Tim Hortons does serve bugs. (Video)

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 10:14 AM

So, what's the big deal? She's a Frenchie. Is there any part of an animal they won't eat?
(dc stirs the pot and then creeps away laughing maniacally.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 12:11 PM

She's a Person Eating a Tasty Animal.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 7, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: fixed tag)
45/47

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2009, 01:39 PM

Video of GG MJ defending her seal heart eating actions

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
She's a person eating a tasty animal.
I bought a T-shirt for a friend of mine for his birthday.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Boycotting maple syrup will stop the killing of seals somehow.

That'd be because insects aren't cute. They're gross, get crap all over your car in the summer, and cause all kinds of damage to vegetation and homes.

Not that moles and rabbits don't cause damage, but they're cute.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2009, 03:51 PM

Oooooo, the wrath of PETA. Scary.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

DBursey
Professional Poster
May 29, 2009, 01:51 PM

Alaska's Sarah Palin likes to hunt & shoots wolves from a helicopter.

Our Gov. Gen. Jean personally butchers her seal, tearing a piece of heart from the bloody carcass and consuming it in front of the assembled media.

M. Jean is clearly the more badass of the two ...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2009, 06:20 PM

...really? Palin hunts from a helicopter?! I'd never heard that.

Europe, of course, has gotten fairly up in arms about it all. Me, I just don't understand it - I'm in favour of using wild game (especially non-beef game) as factory farmed substitutes. I even saw one person on the Globe and Mail's comments section defend factory farming as "more ethical" killing - just a blatantly, blatantly ignorant comment.

Sad stuff.

greg

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
That'd be because insects aren't cute.
Or insects seem to be barely more self-aware than plants. One or the other.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Pendergast
Mac Elite
May 31, 2009, 04:25 PM

Hmm...

Having lived there for several years, I can tell you that Mme Jean did not kill the seal. The half-moon shaped knife she used is called a "hulu", which is a knife used mostly by women, and used to cut the meat in bite-sizes.

The Inuit will eat seal as about 40% of their diet, and usually, raw. The liver is especially tasty and good. It's all a great source of omega-3, so it is especially healthy.

You should try walrus meat. To eat it, it has to be put in a bag made out of the skin of the walrus, then put in the ground, well covered, for a month or 2. The acidity of the earth will basically cook the meat so it gets softer to chew. They do the same with cariboo, except that they put the animal whole in the ground, and will wait for the first snow to dig it up and eat it. It is quite a treat.

All those complaints from animal defense rights come from stupid ignorant people looking to justify their existence through mediatic opportunities. Where are they when it is time to really act with pollution, or people dying of hunger? The Inuit need to eat that meat, because it is far better to their health than most of the crap we can buy at the grocery. And it is fresh food.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Or insects seem to be barely more self-aware than plants. One or the other.
So what we need to do is find an insect or otherwise "dumb" life form that displays some semblance of self-awareness, and then PETA will be demanding that we rename mosquitoes "red butterflies" or something equally stupid.

At least they haven't managed to do any real damage to society. I think I'd kill myself if it ever became illegal to eat steak. And bacon. I loves me some bacon.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 12:03 AM

I eat meat myself, but it irritates me a little bit when people use confrontational language like the t-shirt above in mocking people who are vegetarians. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to be a veggie, we should all think about our food source and ways to minimize brutality and cruelty in the name of money making with the animals we eat, there is nothing wrong with people who think about this to the extent where they wish to abstain from eating meat. Not all vegetarians are PETA supporters.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:01 AM

Like people said earlier, I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with hunting. When you hunt, even under the most artificial circumstances (quails with clipped wings, etc.), you are hunting an animal that lives in its natural outdoor habitat for its entire life. In most cases, the animal even has a reasonable chance to escape.

The alternative is an animal that has been caged in extremely dirty conditions for most of its life, witnesses systematic slaughter of its fellow animals, etc. How is that any better?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 03:55 AM

At least they haven't managed to do any real damage to society. I think I'd kill myself if it ever became illegal to eat steak. And bacon. I loves me some bacon.
Some people feel the same way about abusing women. History has generally come down on the side of people who say that hurting others just because you get off on it is immoral. PETA are idiots, but the idea that your need to do something harmful justifies it isn't very sensible itself.
Chuck
___

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 06:05 AM

Eating meat isn't harmful, it's natural... as do lions, tigers, and bears*.

Moderation is the key, of course. Also, it helps to be responsible and buy your meat from a reputable source or a local farm. No, I'm not talking about Kroger or Food Lion. Also, I agree with Kerrigan, wild game is an excellent source.

*OH MY!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Eating meat isn't harmful, it's natural... as do lions, tigers, and bears*.

Moderation is the key, of course. Also, it helps to be responsible and buy your meat from a reputable source or a local farm. No, I'm not talking about Kroger or Food Lion. Also, I agree with Kerrigan, wild game is an excellent source.

*OH MY!
It's natural to kill someone when they piss you off, as do lions, tigers and bears. Nature is not a moral entity.

I agree that hunting is a better way than factory farming, but I think that killing for pleasure is pretty much wrong on its face. We accept this premise when it comes to other humans, but somehow haven't yet made the leap to take the same logic and apply it to other animals.

You said in another thread that you "wonder how [abortion doctors] can live with themselves." This is somebody who (in his view, I presume) does mercy killings when requested in order to save both the mother and child a lot of pain. And yet you're OK with somebody going out and attacking and tearing open an intelligent, independent creature just because he likes the taste? That seems like a ridiculous double standard to me.
Chuck
___

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And yet you're OK with somebody going out and attacking and tearing open an intelligent, independent creature just because he likes the taste? That seems like a ridiculous double standard to me.
"Intelligent" is a subjective term. My aunt had a farm for awhile, with chickens, beef cattle, and a few milk cows. These were not remotely intelligent animals. Instinct does not equal intelligence.

How do you deal with animals eating other animals? Cats are obligate carnivores - would you force a pet cat into a vegan or vegetarian diet just because you personally believe that animals shouldn't be food?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 10:37 AM

"Intelligent" is a subjective term. My aunt had a farm for awhile, with chickens, beef cattle, and a few milk cows. These were not remotely intelligent animals. Instinct does not equal intelligence.
Anyone who has ever had a dog knows that it can be happy. It can also be unhappy. It can "figure out" ridimentary problems. It might have a "favourite food" that isn't a "favourite" for other dogs of the same species.

And what about chimps? They can learn sign language, show signs of independent thought, and be happy or sad, amongst many many other things.

So what about beef or milk cows? Not terribly bright, certainly, but I'm not sure I'd go so far to say they only have "instinct" and not "intelligence."

How do you deal with animals eating other animals? Cats are obligate carnivores - would you force a pet cat into a vegan or vegetarian diet just because you personally believe that animals shouldn't be food?
I don't think this has anything to do with the issue. No one's implying any moral obligation on other animals.

greg

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 01:16 AM

Events like this remind me why it's great to have a figurehead like the GG. Politicians are too cowardly to pull a stunt like this.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Anyone who has ever had a dog knows that it can be happy. It can also be unhappy. It can "figure out" ridimentary problems. It might have a "favourite food" that isn't a "favourite" for other dogs of the same species.

And what about chimps? They can learn sign language, show signs of independent thought, and be happy or sad, amongst many many other things.

So what about beef or milk cows? Not terribly bright, certainly, but I'm not sure I'd go so far to say they only have "instinct" and not "intelligence."
True - some animals display more capability than others, which is probably why most people find it pretty gross that eating dog or cat meat is acceptable practice in East Asia.

I would say from what I've seen of farm animals, they're pretty damn dumb. I feel absolutely no moral qualms about eating meat or dairy products.

And, FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal (in the US, at least) to eat animals like dogs and cats. It's just very socially unacceptable. I'd be pretty unhappy if the government decided to cave in to bleeding hearts and make the consumption of animal products and meat illegal. It's fine if people want to be morally opposed to eating meat, and it's fine if they want to pass judgment on me for it - it's not fine, however, for the government to make a mandate on it.

I don't think this has anything to do with the issue. No one's implying any moral obligation on other animals.
You'd be surprised. A good number of vegans and vegetarians insist on imposing their diet on their pets. There's quite a following behind vegan pet food. It's a bit problematic when you consider that cats are obligate carnivores.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 10:31 AM

I would say from what I've seen of farm animals, they're pretty damn dumb. I feel absolutely no moral qualms about eating meat or dairy products.
You mean, like pigs? They're just as intelligent as dogs from what I've seen. They're just not as cute or lovable.

But do you have moral qualms about how the vast majority of those "dumb animals" are grown and harvested for food? Ever seen what goes on in large "factory farms"? Ever seen how a "dumb cow" or "dumb pig" is killed in those places?

And, FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal (in the US, at least) to eat animals like dogs and cats. It's just very socially unacceptable. I'd be pretty unhappy if the government decided to cave in to bleeding hearts and make the consumption of animal products and meat illegal. It's fine if people want to be morally opposed to eating meat, and it's fine if they want to pass judgment on me for it - it's not fine, however, for the government to make a mandate on it.
Again, I don't think anyone here is advocating that, but I'm pretty sure some jurisdictions might have some restrictions on what you can do with pet animals (again, FWIW).

You'd be surprised. A good number of vegans and vegetarians insist on imposing their diet on their pets. There's quite a following behind vegan pet food. It's a bit problematic when you consider that cats are obligate carnivores.
I meant that no one was implying such a moral obligation in this thread. You just brought it up out of nowhere - a classic case of "well if you advocate this, then do you also support this other extreme case I've heard about?

Plus, those people are clearly nutters. Stupid, stupid people.

greg

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 06:22 PM

I think they should legalize eating dog meat in the US.

In Chinese, seals are called "sea dogs".
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 07:49 PM

Why, is it illegal? I didn't think it was, subject to occasional state/municipality provisions.

greg

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2009, 11:58 AM

It was a stupid thing she did and quite disgusting.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 12:13 PM

<insert standard Doof rant about how being veggie makes you faster, better, sexier, richer, creamier, etc., etc. here>
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
<insert standard Doof rant about how being veggie makes you faster, better, sexier, richer, creamier, etc., etc. here>
Sure helped Steve.

Must have been those burgers he wolfed down with the Woz in the garage back when.

PETA=People for the Entertainment and Theatrical Association.

Going to have my range fed chickens next weekend in the cooler at the Syracuse Jazz Fest. Cut their heads off myself.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules