Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread.

The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread. (Page 13)
tipp-ex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
This will make it so the tab tooltips only show up when you hover the mouse over the title of a tab. It also positions them differently and makes them look more like the system tooltips. I suggest you try it, and send feedback so that we can change it to the default behavior (I hate the black and white things).
They are much better.

I should mention that the integration of the latest WebCore is going really smoothly, and that we'll definitely be caught up to Safari by the time the free 5.1 upgrade ships (which hopefully won't be much later than the 5.0 release).
Good news, can't wait. B6 is nice and unbuggy but still seems to be lacking behind Safari in speed, *ever* so slightly.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 01:25 PM

There isn't a way to turn them off, but you can make them prettier and less annoying:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 SensibleToolTipBehavior -bool true
This will make it so the tab tooltips only show up when you hover the mouse over the title of a tab. It also positions them differently and makes them look more like the system tooltips. I suggest you try it, and send feedback so that we can change it to the default behavior (I hate the black and white things).
Isn't there just some way to make the delay longer or make it so that a key has to be pressed while hovering (e.g. option) to make them show up?

Edit: I've just tried the yellow tooltips style and their left hand end disappears off the left hand edge of my screen which makes them a bit useless (with a default drawer set-up located on the left).

Just to be contrary, I much prefer the behaviour (only showing when over the title), but prefer the translucent black and white style of the default set-up over the yellow tooltip style.
( Last edited by JKT; May 5, 2004 at 01:31 PM. )

entrox
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
For those of you who are 3.x or 4.x licensees, you can get your OW5 licence early from here Just bought mine for $6.95 (edu upgrade price... and yes, I am in education so I'm not cheating the system )
Thank you. This is exactly the link I was searching for. It's a bargain thanks to the weak Dollar

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 02:16 PM

Isn't there just some way to make the delay longer or make it so that a key has to be pressed while hovering (e.g. option) to make them show up?
Nope, sorry. Maybe I'll add a hidden default for you in some later release, but we're really busy right now finishing up 5.0.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 02:33 PM

The speed is right up there.

- Tabs open and close much quicker
- Pages load better/faster

I am sure when we get 5.1 with the new Webcore and a few more tweaks OW5 can be right there in the pack.

I don't have a Dual processor, but from what I remember OW was supposed to use them better, ie be faster on a Dual than Safari. Truth?

Keep up the great work.

BZ

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 02:50 PM

Code:
Leading the witness!!

After you get done with all the 5.1 madness any chance of adding a SensibleCmdBackBehavior hidden variable to restore OW 4's behavior with cmd-left and right in text areas?

I hate how OW 5 (around beta 2?) adopted Safari's behavior of treating the browser shortcuts like text-editing shortcuts in text boxes, form elements, the location bar... anywhere you can edit text. I already know how to move to the beginning of a line (hit the up arrow for any single line, ctrl-left, ctrl-e (okay that one gets to the beginning of the wrapped line))... I don't need a redundant, changing shortcut in cmd-left. Keep that as 'Back'. Everything (workspaces, thumbs, page position, marked pages...) is navigable by the arrow keys and modifier keys... except for your page history? As soon as a page changes your focus to their search field or you're in the location bar suddenly cmd-left won't bring you back a page. Annoying.

~BS

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
I don't have a Dual processor, but from what I remember OW was supposed to use them better, ie be faster on a Dual than Safari. Truth?
Yes, this is very true. The difference is quite dramatic, as a matter of fact! I think most of the people who say OmniWeb is faster than Safari are actually on newer dual-processor machines.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 07:11 PM

Code:
Much better!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 08:20 PM

Edit: I've just tried the yellow tooltips style and their left hand end disappears off the left hand edge of my screen which makes them a bit useless (with a default drawer set-up located on the left).
Oops... fixed.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks. With the tooltip position fixed, I might switch over to those. Far less obtrusive.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 06:19 AM

Bug found: paypal.com

When I try to edit some account settings, I get logged out. Have to log in again, then same thing happens. It's fine in Safari.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

chris01
May 6, 2004, 07:03 AM

Since beta 6 i have to force-quit OmniWeb quite often (up to 4 times a day). This didn't happen before. OmniWeb just locks up with a spinning beach ball. It normally happens when it is in the background, loading something. But i couldn't really figure out a pattern.

Also, i don't really know how i can report this (i sent a feedback email already). Are there any tools how i could debug such a situation?

Are the OmniDevelopers interested in debug output? Just tell me.

Because otherwise b6 has been wonderfull!

Chris.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by chris01:
Since beta 6 i have to force-quit OmniWeb quite often (up to 4 times a day). This didn't happen before. OmniWeb just locks up with a spinning beach ball. It normally happens when it is in the background, loading something. But i couldn't really figure out a pattern.

Also, i don't really know how i can report this (i sent a feedback email already). Are there any tools how i could debug such a situation?

Are the OmniDevelopers interested in debug output? Just tell me.

Because otherwise b6 has been wonderfull!

Chris.
You can perform a sample for them in Terminal

When it freezes, type

sample OmniWeb 15

at the prompt in Terminal.app and press enter to execute it. When it finishes (after 15 seconds), it will tell you that a file has been written to /tmp. In the Finder press command-shift-G and type /private/tmp and enter. This will open the hidden /tmp folder for you from where you can drag your sample to Mail to send to OmniGroup at [email protected] (include details of what was happening at the time and e.g. the workspace you were loading if you don't mind them seeing it).

FWIW, do you delete your cache between crashes? (~/Library/Application Support/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5)

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 09:59 AM

Nope, sorry. Maybe I'll add a hidden default for you in some later release, but we're really busy right now finishing up 5.0.
So long as the feature is introduced at some point, I don't mind when. However, I may be able to live with the "only show when over the title" method as it is far less likely to occur by accident.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 12:14 PM

By all means, if you run into a hanger, please do what JKT said. I'd like to find and fix as many of them as possible before 5.0 goes final.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

GeeYouEye
May 6, 2004, 12:26 PM

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that it takes nearly two minutes to launch b6, even just after quitting?
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by GeeYouEye:
Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that it takes nearly two minutes to launch b6, even just after quitting?
Nope, it's just you. (And I'm on a TiBook 500 - not exactly the fastest thing out there).

I'd try deleting your cache & history files to see if that doesn't speed things up significantly...
cpac

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 02:03 PM

By all means, if you run into a hanger, please do what JKT said. I'd like to find and fix as many of them as possible before 5.0 goes final.
One thing I forgot to add is that, if you are running it concurrently, be sure to quit OW4.5 before running sample OmniWeb 15 otherwise you may sample the wrong process!

Incidentally, this is a long-standing OmniWeb tip from 4.x days that still applies to OW5 - if you view a .mov/.swf/etc file in OW, within the (hidden) /private/tmp folder you will also find folder(s) created by OmniWeb which contain those .movs/etc - you can drag and drop them to e.g. your desktop for later viewing. This gets around a lack of a QT Pro licence for saving .movs...

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

hmm...never mind
( Last edited by Spirit_VW; May 6, 2004 at 04:42 PM. )
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 03:48 PM

Hey all, I have a quick question regarding keyboard navigation. Is there away to use the keyboard to navigate the pull-down menus; for example say, the Forum pull-down menu on MacNN's main site? Is there a more efficient way to navigate to a link other than using the tab key to navigate each link in succession? Thanks for any input.

Neo.cmg

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
Hey all, I have a quick question regarding keyboard navigation. Is there away to use the keyboard to navigate the pull-down menus; for example say, the Forum pull-down menu on MacNN's main site? Is there a more efficient way to navigate to a link other than using the tab key to navigate each link in succession? Thanks for any input.

Neo.cmg
At the moment, you have to click the menu first, but once it is open, type the title and you will jump to it.

For links, simply type the first letter (or more if you are quick enough) of the title when the main window/frame has focus and it will jump to the link(s) with that letter(s)

tipp-ex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 04:36 PM

One thing I forgot to add is that, if you are running it concurrently, be sure to quit OW4.5 before running sample OmniWeb 15 otherwise you may sample the wrong process!

Incidentally, this is a long-standing OmniWeb tip from 4.x days that still applies to OW5 - if you view a .mov/.swf/etc file in OW, within the (hidden) /private/tmp folder you will also find folder(s) created by OmniWeb which contain those .movs/etc - you can drag and drop them to e.g. your desktop for later viewing. This gets around a lack of a QT Pro licence for saving .movs...

Nice tip, but it doesn't work for me. Have you tried it with the latest beta?

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by tipp-ex:
Nice tip, but it doesn't work for me. Have you tried it with the latest beta?
Hmm, just tried it with the QT movie trailers and I keep getting bumped to the Quicktime download index when I select the .movs in the /tmp/OmniWeb-jkt-1 folder - I think this could be an issue with installing QT 6.5.1 rather than with OmniWeb itself, but if OG would like to confirm?

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 05:19 PM

I hope someday they'll make it so OW's cache isn't useless after quitting and relaunching the browser.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

ambush
Banned
May 6, 2004, 06:03 PM

http://www.artofadambetts.com does not work

but it's a ot faster now! yay!

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

Excluding the known WebCore v85 bug which causes the background to not vertically repeat, what doesn't work about it? The layout looks identical to Safari here.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2004, 07:13 PM

http://maccentral.macworld.com/

This one is hanging on me in OW5 B6.1

Also, it would be nice if when I went to a updated bookmark it opened in the window I already have opened in a new tab (yes, I have everything set to open in new tabs).

BZ

chris01
May 7, 2004, 10:30 AM

Rick: I sent in three different hanging reports (spinning beach ball). Do you need more? OmniWeb is still hanging here every few hours and i have to force quit it.

If you don't need more reports i will try cleaning my cache and preferences and see if that helps.

Chris.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 10:44 AM

Whoa, I'm trying OW 5 on my new PB for the first time and this absolutely rocks - .Mac synching of bookmarks seems to have worked flawlessly first time off the bat which is great , very speedy (not too bad compared to Safari which also flies on this machine), and far less annoying contextual menu pop-up delays etc.

These are the Macs that OW is evidently designed for... it isn't bad on the iMac but it is much, much better on the widescreen PowerBook I like it!

Speaking of Safari... crikey, how annoying it is to go back to such a limited browser having used OW5 since the very first sneaky peak! To all those people around the web who keep on asking why you should pay for a browser... it becomes all too obvious when you have to switch back.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 10:52 AM

Speaking of Safari... crikey, how annoying it is to go back to such a limited browser having used OW5 since the very first sneaky peak! To all those people around the web who keep on asking why you should pay for a browser... it becomes all too obvious when you have to switch back.
Yeah...it's crazy. I can barely browse without the omnitabs. Just try doing a google search in Safari and open 5 or 6 possible pages. I can't stand not being able to change the tab order, and the save windows option is a lifesaver.

-matt

Ω
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 11:23 AM

For those wondering I got my license code two days ago. So if you think you are eligible and haven't received it yet then I would start looking at all your email accounts

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

I agree with Tim2 at Omni, it seems ok to me
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

ambush
Banned
May 7, 2004, 11:24 PM

Excluding the known WebCore v85 bug which causes the background to not vertically repeat, what doesn't work about it? The layout looks identical to Safari here.
Yeah. WebCore85 bug then.

Keep up the good work guys!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 02:10 AM

For those of you who are 3.x or 4.x licensees, you can get your OW5 licence early from here Just bought mine for $6.95 (edu upgrade price... and yes, I am in education so I'm not cheating the system )

Warning - I don't know if you should do this if you are expecting a free OW 5 licence as a 4.5 purchaser post 31 December 2003 as there doesn't seem to be an option for it (you may as well input your info and see what comes up as the price... if it isn't $0.00, then you need to wait for OG to send you your free licence).
JKT - Thanks for the link!
I was a paid 4.x user... and now I've got my version 5 license.

OW5 beta 6 is top notch! Keep it up OmniGuys.

Everyone, please consider buying a license so the OmniGroup can continue making killer OS X apps!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 07:21 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I'm on dial-up and I seem to be getting this message ALOT:

Cannot Load Address
No such host...

This usually happens when I attempt to open even 1 other window. For example, I was on Yahoo checking my email and option-clicked to open a tab for the site "Macthemes.net" and sure enough I get the dreaded message: "Cannot Load Address".

But if I reload the page then it'll load just fine. I've tested this with sites I often visit, like MacMinute, Yahoo Mail, Edmunds, CNET, etc. and the same thing happens. I'm guessing it's because I'm on dial-up, but it didn't happen nearly as often when I was on Safari. I'm talking about opening just 1-2 windows. My connection is around 42-44K. Any ideas?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 08:54 AM

I got three pretty consistant bugs with the latest Beta.

- The no host found bug, where it says it can't find a host, but on reload it gets it.
- Some favicons do not load and/or save (like macnn)
- Still some sites that hang while loading, load partially, or don't load. A restart of the browser seems to allow it load. Bank of America, Rackspace examples from this morning.

I guess I could delete all prefs and start again, but that is getting boring.

BZ

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I'm on dial-up and I seem to be getting this message ALOT:

Cannot Load Address
No such host...

This usually happens when I attempt to open even 1 other window. For example, I was on Yahoo checking my email and option-clicked to open a tab for the site "Macthemes.net" and sure enough I get the dreaded message: "Cannot Load Address".

But if I reload the page then it'll load just fine. I've tested this with sites I often visit, like MacMinute, Yahoo Mail, Edmunds, CNET, etc. and the same thing happens. I'm guessing it's because I'm on dial-up, but it didn't happen nearly as often when I was on Safari. I'm talking about opening just 1-2 windows. My connection is around 42-44K. Any ideas?
Oh, I thought it was just me! I was at a LAN party yesterday (lovely fast net connection - 512 kilobytes a second to the internet) and it happened all the time.

Amorya

iNeusch
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
JKT - Thanks for the link!
I was a paid 4.x user... and now I've got my version 5 license.

OW5 beta 6 is top notch! Keep it up OmniGuys.

Everyone, please consider buying a license so the OmniGroup can continue making killer OS X apps!
OK, I just got my Licence

larkost
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 08:52 AM

TheIceMan: From what I can tell there is some intermittent issue with DNS, sometimes it just can't connect. From home I am on dial-up (*boo*) and see this problem all the time when my 28.8 connection (did I mention, bad dial-up) becomes saturated (all the time). I would imagine that you are momentarily saturating your connection, and OmniWeb's DNS lookup system becomes confused.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 08:54 AM

I don't know what those Omni guys put in OmniWeb, but it's damn addictive. Although beta 6.1 seems to crash about 3-4 times during use, I still find myself relaunching it. The tab drawer, which I was one of the strong opponents of, has grown on me. I find it much easier on the eyes and even more intuitive.

You'll get my money once the official OW 5 is released. Keep up the great work guys.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
I got three pretty consistant bugs with the latest Beta.

- The no host found bug, where it says it can't find a host, but on reload it gets it.
- Some favicons do not load and/or save (like macnn)
- Still some sites that hang while loading, load partially, or don't load. A restart of the browser seems to allow it load. Bank of America, Rackspace examples from this morning.

I guess I could delete all prefs and start again, but that is getting boring.

BZ
I don't get the first two, but the third one is happening for me quite a lot, which is odd as the beta 6 sneaky peeks had this issue (pretty much) fixed. It is consistently happening for me at MacCentral.com (has done since the very first OW5 release) and now MacFixIt.com - not every time I load those sites but fairly often. Usually, a com-R reload will lead to the sites loading properly but, again, not always and the only way to get around the problem is to quit and re-open OW.

Another frequent issue for me is, after prolonged use, images will start failing to load and I get the (very ugly IMO) Safari style image-didn't-load question mark appearing.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 05:10 PM

http://www.artofadambetts.com/ is broken for me too

nebben123
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 07:51 PM

how come when i view an image file with omniweb, it doesn't display the pixel dimensions, like almost every other web browser does?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
http://www.artofadambetts.com/ is broken for me too
Works beautifully for me. Cool site.

entrox
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by larkost:
I would imagine that you are momentarily saturating your connection, and OmniWeb's DNS lookup system becomes confused.
I am behind a caching nameserver and it still happens from time to time (when the record should have clearly been cached), so it can't be a saturated connection. But I'm glad to see that it's apparently an OW problem... spared me from looking at those hideous BIND configuration files again.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:47 PM

Minor bug report - hope its OK to post here...

While beta 6.1 is far beyond the first beta, I still notice that sometimes I get some rendering issues with text inside input/editable text boxes (like this one). Sometimes, I wont be able to see the text at all, and other times (after using the pop-up OmniWeb text editor) the text background will be gray and uneditable.

Is this just an issue with the experimental text rendering system, or is it something thats still being worked out within OmniWeb?

Otherwise, I'm beginning to love OW5! It even will render some websites that Safari wont - specifically, Novell's GroupWise web access pages. Wont render in Safari regardless of what I set the user agent to. Meanwhile, OmniWeb renders them correctly when set to mimic Win IE 5.5. Weird, but glad it works none the less. Novell's fault, for sure...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 04:11 PM

Another bug I've just noticed.

Italics in message posts no longer seem to be displayed on this BBS. I posted a message (here in another thread) which included the usual vB code for italic font, but the italic isn't displayed when the message is viewed.

The message is displayed properly (with italicized fonts) when viewed in Safari.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Another bug I've just noticed.

Italics in message posts no longer seem to be displayed on this BBS. I posted a message (here in another thread) which included the usual vB code for italic font, but the italic isn't displayed when the message is viewed.

The message is displayed properly (with italicized fonts) when viewed in Safari.

I think that's due to the new text renderer Tim put in for this beta... I think all italics are gone (not just the manufactured ones). Haven't checked it out though.
~BS

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
I think that's due to the new text renderer Tim put in for this beta... I think all italics are gone (not just the manufactured ones). Haven't checked it out though.
~BS
No, only manufactured italics are broken. The issue has been corrected internally.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2004, 08:00 PM

Ah you're right... thought the font I was playing with had an italic version. Sorry for the slander. Or is it libel? Gotta watch spiderman again.

~BS

Forum Links
Forum Rules