Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woops!

Woops! (Page 13)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2021, 10:37 PM

Vintage woops. Pilot survived.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2021, 10:45 PM

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2021, 11:05 PM

Most of these look accidental. The fighter for example has wheels down. Like he got hit with a cross-gust just as he was about to land. Possibly veering off deliberately to prevent damage to the carrier.

However, the truck driver is at fault. He veered off the narrow bridge before the rear wheels had cleared.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2021, 11:32 PM

I can’t find much detail on the crash other than:

June 3rd, 1940
USS Enterprise
Douglas TBD Devastator
Pilot was Randolph Mitchell Holder, who was ultimately killed at the Battle of Midway.

Edit: oh, wait... he was waved off his landing and then the plane stalled.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Most of these look accidental. The fighter for example has wheels down. Like he got hit with a cross-gust just as he was about to land. Possibly veering off deliberately to prevent damage to the carrier.

However, the truck driver is at fault. He veered off the narrow bridge before the rear wheels had cleared.
And he got a nice bit of karma with that “ride on the front wheel.”

The fighter looked like it was waved off because he was too low on approach. With the kind of winds you get at the tail of a carrier, he might have just been out of luck no matter what.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2021, 12:01 AM

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2021, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What people don't realize is how expensive just the bed is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2021, 06:24 PM

Yes indeed. Plus however much it will cost to fix the 5 Tesla MRI machine…. This will come out of several people’s paychecks. For a while.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2021, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yes indeed. Plus however much it will cost to fix the 5 Tesla MRI machine…. This will come out of several people’s paychecks. For a while.
Insurance.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2021, 10:45 AM

The hospital has insurance, but most likely there will be some sort of punitive financial result for whomever allowed the magnet to be on when there was a bed in the room, or whomever brought a bed into the room when the magnet was on. It’s one of those corporate insurance things; while “somebody’s going to pay for this” sounds like a nasty threat, it’s SOP to withhold at least some of the cost of damage caused by failing to follow clear and well established safety procedures. From a management standpoint, this will serve as an example that helps reenforce the importance of those safety procedures.

If it was just “look how badly Joe damaged that bed by using it like a scooter,” Joe might be suspended for a while (and not paid) because of stupidity. But there are industry-wide rules and safeguards in place for what gets to be where around an MRI. If you make that sort of error with an empty bed, what says you won’t do it with a patient in the bed?

Yes, I’m coming off as “Mr. Safety Man,” but I’ve also been in the position to apply some of these punitive actions. And to a much lesser extent, I had them applied to me — damaging a service vehicle by backing into something implies the driver wasn’t using safe driving techniques, even if the obstacle was not visible.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2021, 10:59 AM

Yes, I’m coming off as “Mr. Safety Man,” but I’ve also been in the position to apply some of these punitive actions. And to a much lesser extent, I had them applied to me — damaging a service vehicle by backing into something implies the driver wasn’t using safe driving techniques, even if the obstacle was not visible.
Considering what kind of people are in the intersection of the Venn diagram of people needing an MRI and needing to lie in a hospital bed, I don‘t think it‘d be pretty. People underestimate the strength of magnets. Even a 2 Tesla magnet can be seriously hurt you if you are wearing a (magnetic) watch.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2021, 05:55 PM

And I am (hopefully) done being a buzz-kill for the amusement factor in this thread. I just had such recent experience in "doing it right" (and having to walk to the MRI table on a very painful hip, to boot), and go through a number of checks and re-checks just to get there. It simply seems that it took a LOT of people making a LOT of mistakes to generate that photo.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2021, 06:44 PM

My friend is a radiologist. I sent him that photograph, and his reply was “oh, I have a whole folder of those.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2021, 07:05 PM

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2021, 08:59 PM

Out of curiosity, what is a ward boy exactly? And isn‘t calling someone a boy when he‘s already 28 a bit rude?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2021, 09:31 PM

I get the impression it’s the English translation of the Hindi(?) term for “orderly” or “nurse’s assistant”.

I was a “best boy” back in the day, so I’m used to it.

I was also “truck bitch”.

Thorzdad
Apr 30, 2021, 08:26 AM

I was a “best boy” back in the day, so I’m used to it.
What, exactly is Best Boy? I've seen it in movie credits all my life, but I never understood what the job was. I assumed it to mean "crew dude who does whatever he's told".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 30, 2021, 09:40 AM

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2021, 12:49 PM

Unless you’re talking about dogs, a best boy is the assistant to a film crew department head. There are electric best boys, and grip best boys on most crews. Electrical departments do “electrical stuff,” while the grip department builds, maintains, and often operates the specific equipment that supports and moves the camera(s).

Camera assistants do things for the camera operator like help with film management, documenting film usage and keeping track of which roll is what. But there’s another helper, called the focus puller; this guy adjusts the camera’s lens to change focus at specific points. If the focus puller and the grips aren’t in sync, you can ruin shots by having the camera’s focus change at the wrong time in a camera move.

(I was going to be a cinematographer when I was a teenager…. Oops. But it always helps to understand how things work, even if you don’t do those things.)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2021, 11:50 PM

This is correct! I was mostly on the lighting side.

What a best boy actually does is a little hard to pin down. It depends a lot on the size of the production, and the idiosyncrasies of the people involved. For example, my boss and I hated each other’s guts, so we developed a working relationship where we could keep our distance.

That put me in what I guess you could call a “support” or “logistics” role. I made sure the set had power and equipment, the equipment was organized, and that it was out of the way when no longer needed.

I originally wanted to do camera, but I sweat like a pig, and it would get all over the film when I’d try to load it. Thankfully, digital’s made this less of an issue.

A little quibble about grips. They do any necessary rigging, and only play with the camera when it’s being rigged to something, like a car. They end up spending most of their time with lighting people, since all the light shaping tools need to be rigged to something. On small productions, grip and electric are mashed into a single department.

The one big exception is the dolly grip, which may be what you’re thinking of. If the camera is on a dolly, there’s a grip assigned exclusively to it, and they become an adjunct to the camera department.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2021, 03:25 AM

Oh! I forgot!

One of the things that ended up being my job was “bad cop”. When production would screw us over I’d be the one to get all pissy with them about it, then someone else would go in and come off as reasonable.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2021, 02:51 PM

Sounds like you really had to stretch to be that bad cop…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2021, 03:33 PM

It... did come rather naturally.

The main thing I’d go nuclear over was no vegetarian option at lunch, which I felt pretty justified over.

Thorzdad
May 1, 2021, 05:51 PM

The main thing I’d go nuclear over was no vegetarian option at lunch, which I felt pretty justified over.
I find the lack of a vegetarian option really odd, considering the industry especially. Yeah, I go nuke over that, too.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2021, 06:46 PM

The Greater Chicago Area is not unfamiliar with professional motion picture productions. Caterers should be well aware that vegetarian and vegan options would be expected. Woops!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2021, 01:46 AM

It was always newbie production teams, and I was willing to cut them slack. We’ve all been there.

The meltdowns happened when they couldn’t fix the problem. I remember one shoot where after listening to production spin their wheels over the walkies for a half-hour, I cut in and yelled “Brown’s Chicken and Pasta... Pasta. Pasta. PASTA!”

This isn’t brain surgery.

Edit: now I’m hungry.
( Last edited by subego; May 2, 2021 at 02:07 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2021, 03:48 AM

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2021, 12:21 PM

Who could have possibly imagined that trying to whack a fence post from the hood of a 4-wheeler might be a bad idea? Gasp!

That thar bob whar* didn’t seem to welcoming either.

*Texan for “barbed wire.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2021, 01:20 PM

That thar bob whar* didn’t seem to welcoming either.

*Texan for “barbed wire.”
It’s not quite the same, but it’s in a similar family to “don’t try and catch the knife when you drop it”.

Or chainsaw. Knew a guy who woopsed three fingers not following that rule.

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2021, 04:11 PM

It’s not quite the same, but it’s in a similar family to “don’t try and catch the knife when you drop it”.

Or chainsaw. Knew a guy who woopsed three fingers not following that rule.
OUCH!

I had a slightly formal introduction to chainsaws. "Rule #1: if you're losing control of the saw, PUSH THAT MOTHER%*$*ER AWAY FROM YOU." The emphasis is part of the quote; my ears may still be ringing from it.

Knives, on the other hand, I had actual, formal training in. From the Boy Scouts. They took it seriously, since parents don't like kids coming back with fewer fingers than they left for camp with. Kicker: the scout that taught me and three or four other kids was missing his left index finger past the first joint... Bicycle chain, not knife, but that certainly got our attention!

andi*pandi
May 15, 2021, 12:09 AM

How we trained our scouts in knife safety: hold out arms full width, spin slowly, chant: DO NOT ENTER THE CIRCLE OF BLOOD.

or wait, maybe that was the junior witch coven.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2021, 04:01 AM

I still have my “summoning” demerit badge.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2021, 04:20 PM

Thorzdad
May 19, 2021, 04:37 PM

That, my friend, is a story told in a single picture.

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2021, 05:22 PM

Excellent brakes. He should tip the brake shop for fine work.

Might want to strap the boat down next time.

andi*pandi
May 19, 2021, 05:56 PM

oof.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2021, 07:04 PM

While I was stationed at Kessler AFB in the early 1980s, a Navy A-7 (a single engine plane) was headed back to NAS New Orleans from over the gulf when the engine started going bad. The pilot tried to abort to Gulfport airport, but the engine konked out before he could get there.
This?

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2021, 11:57 AM

This?

That is it!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2021, 04:59 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2021, 02:51 PM

Ongoing divorce proceedings. When he said, "half the house", he meant it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2021, 02:14 PM

No further info.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2021, 04:01 PM

It looked like a “one flash” signal and no mirror check on the part of the black car, along with an uncautious speed on the part of the white car.

In that sort of situation, if I’m in the lane that’s moving and the other lane is stacked up, I EXPECT stupids to pull out in front of me. I start slowing down before I get there and give myself plenty of margin to avoid problems.

If I’m in the stopped lane, I am VERY aware of what’s going on behind me. I OVER signal, over mirror check and over “look over the shoulder” so I’m aware of all the stupids who might not really understand the flashy-thingy in the first place. Then I move decisively and it’s done.

But that’s not the kind of thing that shows up on “funniest bad driving choices” videos, is it…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2021, 04:38 PM

The only thing I can possibly give to the lane changer is the car in front of them had their signal on, and was trying to let them go first.

I’ll admit, I drive more like the Mini than I should.

I think my thought process is if I slow down, I increase the chances of someone trying something stupid.

This only happens regularly to me in one spot, where I-90 splits off at O’Hare. The O’Hare lanes are usually at a standstill, while the rest can be going 70.

Edit: there’s also impatience involved. I’ve usually been sitting in all that standstill traffic going to O’Hare, and right before the split is when it finally opens up.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 13, 2021 at 05:35 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 14, 2021, 01:49 PM

It looked like a “one flash” signal and no mirror check on the part of the black car, along with an uncautious speed on the part of the white car.
I saw no brake lights from the white car until immediately before impact. Either they're distracted and didn't see the car pulling out, or they were being aggressive and assuming any sign of slowing down would be interpreted as weakness that the other drive would take advantage of and "win."

Riding motorcycles has made me hypersensitive in the kind of situations where someone could pop out of a stopped lane into a moving one. And I generally have a sixth sense for when someone is about to take a right turn onto the road in front of me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2021, 02:38 PM

Four wheels good. Two wheels bad.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2021, 10:35 AM

The car pulling out can't have been going that fast, the other car just flipped like it was paper.

Thorzdad
Jul 13, 2021, 04:42 AM

Never stand under a crane's load...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2021, 10:01 AM

“We’re just going to stand WAY over here, like nothing happened…”

Wow, talk about lucky!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2021, 11:32 AM

To be fair, I’d say the guy in the red gives about 20 seconds worth of visual confirmation he’s contemplating death.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2021, 02:00 PM

Personal whoops time.
A friend of mine took his Jaguar XJR/15 to Goodwood Festival of Speed. On the Saturday he drove it up the hill, on the Sunday he watched live online from home as his son had a go.
24 year old + friends to show off to + 400BHP race car + small mistake

£1.2million car hits barrier.
Was with hime today. Looks like around £50-100Ks worth of damage to the front end. Mostly rebuilding carbon fibre parts.
Dang!
( Last edited by reader50; Jul 14, 2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: embed video)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules