Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > is there a way to add a new alert sound?

is there a way to add a new alert sound?
smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 10:20 PM

i finally successfully recorded, using QT pro and an external microphone, the "error/alert" sound i want to put on my mom's computer (my voice)

w/OS 9, you had some very easy "add sound/record new [whatever] options", but w/OS X i do not see how to add a new alert sound

the audio file is currently, after being created in QT, called, "Audio.mov"

any thoughts on what i need to do to get it in as an alert sound on my mom's (mac mini)?

thanks!

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 13, 2007, 10:24 PM

In QT Pro:
0. Open up your Audio.mov
1. File/Export
2. Export: Sound to AIFF
3. Save.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 10:34 PM

Yeah, convert in into an AIFF, and then add it into this folder: /Library/Audio/Sounds/Alerts/

You can even out songs in, I tried, but quickly went back to the normal sound.

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 11:51 PM

sounds great

wait, i spoke too soon...

i did what y'all said and it converted it to a file w/suffix, ".aif"

then i put it in library/audio/sounds/alerts (this file was empty, btw!) (?) should it be? i have access to all the standard alert sounds in sys pref's

anyway, when i went bk to sys preferences i couldn't find the new one i thought i'd just added. i even restarted the computer

what simple thing (i'm sure) am i doing wrong?

thanks!!
( Last edited by smileLP; Feb 14, 2007 at 12:21 AM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 12:52 AM

Try /System/Library/Sounds

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2007, 02:00 AM

that did it, thanks redd!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Try /System/Library/Sounds
You should never touch the /System folder. Put your custom sounds into /Library/Sounds (for all users) or ~/Library/Sounds (for this particular user only).

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

>>Put your custom sounds into /Library/Sounds (for all users) or ~/Library/Sounds (for this particular user only).<<

i'm confused; what's the diff betw. /Library/Sounds and [squiggle]/Library/Sounds ?

are you saying it's ok for Me to do System/Library/Sounds this one time for this type of operation?

thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 12:42 PM

The ~ stands for your home folder, so /Library/Sounds is at the root of your hard drive while ~/Library/Sounds is /Users/smilelp/Library/Sounds (or whatever your user name is).

Now you probably haven't killed your system by putting the extra sounds into /System/Library/Sounds, but generally you should never touch the /System folder and use the Library folders I mentioned above instead.

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2007, 01:01 PM

so shall i undo what i've done and do it your way (the proper way)? or is "the damage done" and i should just leave it?

thanks again

- - -

p.s. i just tried what you suggested, to see if everything was where you said it would be, i.e.:

[start w/finder, rt?]/Users [i'm the only user, btw]/smilelp/Library/Sounds

and i did NOT find a "sounds" file in library

am i doing something wrong?

thanks again TET
( Last edited by smileLP; Feb 14, 2007 at 01:13 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 08:55 PM

It's not really "damaged" anything. It's just good practice not to touch the /System folder. Imagine a scenario where you add something, later you want to remove it again, you don't know for sure what you added, what was there already, what came with a system update, you delete the wrong stuff: system hosed. That's why there are the Library folders. One at the top level of the hard drive for all users and the on in your home folder just for yourself. If any folder is not in your own Library folder (like in your case the Sound folder) you can simply create it yourself and it will work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules