Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs around the corner, Store is down

New iMacs around the corner, Store is down (Page 2)
asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
There is no grace period, and there is no guarantee that they're going to do a summer i-Pod promotion. The reason they did one last year was because of the new video Nano announcement; they offered the non-video Nano as a way to clear inventory of an end-of-life model.
Ahh I see. When I purchased my first Mac in April of 2005, Apple had the back to school iPod promotion in June and I was a bit bummed out. But when I went to the Apple store on Monday to pick up the iMac, they still honored the free printer promotion (which I needed!) so I was pretty excited!

Now I am debating if I should pick up 2x2GB RAM modules... I think the answer is yes
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 05:49 PM

My 3.06Ghz BTO iMac is shipped, but no Saturday delivery. *sigh*

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
May 2, 2008, 10:30 AM

Apple iMac (24-inch, 2.8GHz) Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews

There's a comparison between the 2007 model 24" iMac and the new 2008.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
Apple iMac (24-inch, 2.8GHz) Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews

There's a comparison between the 2007 model 24" iMac and the new 2008.
Isn't it kind of funny how their picture of the iMac makes it look like it has a matte screen?

grinder
Forum Regular
May 6, 2008, 06:27 AM

Got myself the 24" one. Absolute stunner.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 02:59 PM

Received mine yesterday, but now taking back to the store.

Need to visit the Genius Bar due to faulty video card or screen.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
And I really, really, wouldn't recommend getting that option. Stick with ATI, unless you like your Mac locking up all the time.
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
...I should have mentioned that this problem occurs in 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update. If you're running Tiger or something, you probably won't see it, as the dodgy drivers showed up, as I understand it, with the LGU.
So after the initial denouncement of all that is NVidia we find out that it's one rarely reproducable bug in one freaky program under specific circumstances on one specific computer with the new driver update that makes people lock up "all the time". Geez no wonder only nerds have the stomach for forums like this. I guess the fatal NVidia problem never hit the new iMacs anyway. *whew*

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
So after the initial denouncement of all that is NVidia we find out that it's one rarely reproducable bug in one freaky program under specific circumstances on one specific computer with the new driver update that makes people lock up "all the time". Geez no wonder only nerds have the stomach for forums like this. I guess the fatal NVidia problem never hit the new iMacs anyway. *whew*
Where did you get that idea? It occurs in OS X 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update, which are both preinstalled on all new Macs. That's not "specific circumstances."

And Front Row isn't the only program that triggers it - far from it. It's just the easiest way I've found to reproduce it (which I can do 100% of the time - not "rarely"). Every time any app uses the 3D features of the graphics card, you have a possibility for a lock-up. If you Google this issue, you'll find that some people get the lock-up just by browsing iTunes' CoverFlow view (so far, I've been fortunate enough not to have this one happen to me yet). I have, in fact, been doing a little beta testing off and on for an app being written by a well-known member of this board, and one focus area for a while was improving performance to lighten the load on the GPU so that it wouldn't lock up the NVidia card quite as frequently (originally, just zooming in on an object was enough to cause a lock-up). Again, I don't play games, but I'm sure that if I did, this thing would be locking up left and right.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 12, 2008 at 10:53 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
May 29, 2008, 04:59 AM

Have you had a chance to test if 10.5.3 fixes the problem?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 10:40 AM

Sorry, I didn't notice this thread had been updated. No, 10.5.3 didn't fix it. Let's hope for 10.5.4 (and let's hope it doesn't take until 10.6).

Incidentally, I believe that the problem described in this thread is probably the same issue that I described in this one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules