Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I be needing someone in Germany or somewhere in western Europe!

I be needing someone in Germany or somewhere in western Europe!
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 02:32 PM

So here's the thing. There's this CD I have been looking for, for literally seven years. It's an out-of-print techno compilation from a company called PolyStar records (now owned by EMI/Universal). The only place I can find it in the United States is through Amazon's marketplace, and the lowest price is $50, which I'm not paying.

I found it through Amazon.de for 6,47 Euros, which by my calculation converts into about $9. Shipping, however, is 14 Euros - over $18. Shipping to Germany or most of the European Union (not sure if UK is included in there) is only 3 Euros, and I'm guessing that the additional shipping to the US from whatever Germany's govermental mail service is (equivalent of Royal Mail or USPS) is still going to add up to less than 14 Euros.

Sooo would anyone around here be willing to help me out a little and serve as a lisaion so I don't have to pay such a high shipping charge?

The CD I'm wanting is here:
Amazon.de: Neu und gebraucht: Technohits '92-'96

If the answer here is "hell no, you freak", I'll just move along quietly, but if anyone *can* help me out, I'd really, really appreciate it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 09:59 PM

You've been looking for this CD for seven years and you're squabbling over 18 bucks? What school of business did you study at?*

*Bonus points for those recognizing the quote.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 5, 2007, 11:32 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

* I have no idea about the quote.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 04:54 AM

I could help but never will I touch a Technohits CD, sorry!

* I have no idea about the quote either (or is it Wall Street?).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2007, 07:00 AM

"It's a deal. It's a steal. It's the deal of the ****ing century. In fact, I think I'll keep it."

Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
"It's a deal. It's a steal. It's the deal of the ****ing century. In fact, I think I'll keep it."

Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels.
Damn, that's one of my favorite movies but I can't say that I understood more than 30% of the language they spoke there!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
You've been looking for this CD for seven years and you're squabbling over 18 bucks? What school of business did you study at?*
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I was wondering if I was missing something on saving $30 not being enough.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2007, 09:13 AM

Oh, boo-hoo. I figured it was at least worth asking.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend twice as much on shipping as the cost of the item itself. $30 is still $30. Plus, I've looked at a few sites for postal services in various European countries - Germany, Italy, the UK...Amazon's flat rate of 14 euros to the US is ridiculous. From what I've found, it should cost no more than about 3 euros to ship this thing.

However, given the response here, I'll just look elsewhere. No harm, no foul.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was a great movie.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 10:47 AM

I could help but read your title with a Pirate accent...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I could help but read your title with a Pirate accent...
I wonder what the OP would have sounded like in Pirate...

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
So here`s th' thin'. Thar`s this CD I ben lookin' fer, fer literally se'en voyages. `Tis an ou'-o'-print techno compilation from a company called PolyStar records (now owned by EMI/Universal). Th' only place I can find 't in th' United States be through Amazon`s marketplace, an' th' lowest price be $50, which I be nay payin'.

I found 't through Amazon.de fer 6,47 Euros, which by me calculation converts into about $9. Shippin', however, be 14 Euros - o'er $18. Shippin' t' Germany or most o' th' European Union (nay sure if UK be included in thar) be only 3 Euros, an' I be guessin' that th' additional shippin' t' th' US from whatereGermany`s govermental mail service be (equivalent o' Royal Mail or USPS) be still goin' t' add up t' less than 14 Euros.

Sooo would ere around here be willin' t' help me ou' a wee an' serve as a lisaion so I dasn't be havin' t' pay such a high shippin' charge?

Th' CD I be wantin' be here:
Amazon.de: Neu und gebraucht: Technohits `92-`96

If th' answer here be "hell nay, ye freak", I`ll jus' move along quietly, but if ere *can* help me ou', I`d really, really appreciate 't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 10:58 AM

I be unable ta help ye, matey.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2007, 11:37 AM

Does Spain fit your needs?, if so send me a private.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Does Spain fit your needs?, if so send me a private.
I dunno, she seems pretty desperate, you might be able to get a corporal.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Oh, boo-hoo. I figured it was at least worth asking.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend twice as much on shipping as the cost of the item itself. $30 is still $30. Plus, I've looked at a few sites for postal services in various European countries - Germany, Italy, the UK...Amazon's flat rate of 14 euros to the US is ridiculous. From what I've found, it should cost no more than about 3 euros to ship this thing.
Don't be a cheap ass.

I've slowly snagged the discography of a German band I like and because of postage I've paid over $300. And most of the discs were used.

Get over it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Don't be a cheap ass.

I've slowly snagged the discography of a German band I like and because of postage I've paid over $300. And most of the discs were used.

Get over it.
Just because you're willing to pay insane shipping costs doesn't mean everyone is. Geez, the OP is just looking for a little help from the community.

However, to the OP, eveing WITH shipping from Germany to the US, you're still saving $33 off the price from the US Amazon. Considering you're only paying $27 with shipping from Germany for a CD you've been looking for for 7 years, going through someone here seems a bit silly.

6.47 Euros for the CD + 3 Euros to ship to Germany + ~5 Euros to ship to US (guess) = ~ 14 Euros ($18.89).

6.47 Euros for the CD + 14 Euros to ship direct ot the US = 20.47 Euros ($27.62).

You're MAYBE saving $10. I agree with Lateralus on this point - don't be a cheap ass.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 12:35 PM

It's not often you get to see someone do a 180º in a single post. Impressive.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2007, 12:53 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
It's not often you get to see someone do a 180º in a single post. Impressive.
Thank you. I try to provide you with entertainment, however I fail to see how anything in my post is inconsistant.

Instead of simply saying "get over it" and "don't be a cheap ass" it would have been more helpful to the OP to set forth WHY she will not be saving that much money (as I did). Thus, the beginning of my post was to Lateralus for his smart ass, unhelpful post and the rest was informing the OP that she would only save, at max, about $10 (not $30 as she thought). If she still insists on going about acquiring said CD in a round about manner to only save $10 then she IS being a cheap ass, especially considering she's been looking for this CD for 7 years.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 03:33 PM

You start out telling him he's unrealistic, then end the post saying you agree with him. So I guess he's not that unrealistic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules