Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Next To LCD, Right Angle Adapters?

MBP Next To LCD, Right Angle Adapters?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 11:00 PM

I use a MBP with a 24" LCD, which sits right next to the display. The side-mount ports mean that I can't line up the displays without a ton of cables in the way. Does anyone know of a set of right-angle adapters that are low-profile to allow the spacing to be minimized? I've had trouble finding a DVI adapter like this, and I assume USB is out there somewhere. Ideas?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 01:26 AM

For MBP 15" without Firewire 800 ports (first generation)
Docking Station for 15" MacBook Pro - Docking Stations by BookEndz

For MBP 15" with Firewire 800 ports (second generation)
Docking Station for 15" MacBook Pro - Firewire 800 - Docking Stations by BookEndz

It's basically a docking station that re-routes all the ports to the back.

Here's a blurb from the page:

---------------
The docking station replicates all of the connectors and ports from the sides of the 15" MacBook Pro and routes the connectors to the back of the dock and uniquely manages the new MagSafe Power Connector. The dock allows for all of the peripheral devices normally connected to the sides of the MacBook - Power, Ethernet, Modem, FireWire 400 and 800, USB, Audio In, Audio Out to be plugged into the back of the dock, and remain plugged in, independent of the computer.
---------------

I'm sure they're working on the 17" MBP next....

Not cheap but certainly an option if you want to put all the wires behind your MBP.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 01:29 AM

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, it still sticks way out on the sides (and is very expensive, as you noted). Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm looking for a way to get my display closer to another display, so that the screens have small amounts of separation (for the appearance of a larger single monitor). Thanks again.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 01:07 PM

I'm guessing you've tried putting the monitor to the left of the machine, and using the ports on the right for everything but the MagSafe? This is, admittedly, one of the times where the old Titanium G4s had an advantage.

If your machine is elevated off the desk, on some sort of stand, maybe you can rotate the base down at an angle so the cables or no longer on the same plane as the monitor?

Forum Links
Forum Rules