Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Duh Tip

Duh Tip
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2013, 08:36 AM

Weather, in the notification slider...

Swipe right or left and get the 5-day forecast.

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 AM

Another I just learned:

To preserve battery life, double tap home button and close all the apps that have been running in the background sucking down precious electricity.

P
Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Another I just learned:

To preserve battery life, double tap home button and close all the apps that have been running in the background sucking down precious electricity.
Sorry, that's 99% myth. Very few applications are permitted to run in the background, and most of the apps there are either just resident in memory, or not even that and just shown as recent applications.

There is a small sliver of truth to this myth, which is why it is hard to kill entirely. There is a very small subset of applications that run in the background, and if one of them malfunctions, it can drag down battery. Apple's bundled apps can execute in the background in some cases, but quitting them doesn't change anything. Anything playing audio in the background falls under this. Turn-by-turn GPS applications are notorious for this, as they use the navigation software, which draws down the battery quickly.

In any case, don't go quitting apps if you don't have a problem. If you are suddenly losing battery power more than usual, it might be worth looking in to if some app has malfunctioned, but just "cleaning up" the list of recently used apps doesn't help any.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2013, 12:20 PM

There was literally every app I'd ever opened in there though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Another I just learned:

Please to to whomever told you this and slam them upside the head hard enough to make them unable to perpetuate this bullshit.

More or less, here's the (simplified) deal:

There are five use-cases for apps in the background: newsstand apps downloading new issues, VOIP, media players, navigation (though graphics are suspended), and apps downloading/uploading data (they can request ten minutes extra background time before they are killed).

All other apps are suspended after five seconds of being in the background (they can use this time to clean up and save state), and the RAM they use is immediately released when another app requests it.

Removing them from the list of used apps (that's basically what it is, in order of last use) does nothing at all.

Steve Jobs was serious about people not needing to use a task manager on iOS devices.

Details: http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misc...titasking.html

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2013, 12:25 PM

ok, ok! I believe you!

Now tell me why my <1yr old iphone can't hold a charge on standby for more than 2 days. Could swear it used to be longer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2013, 12:39 PM

Do you have an Exchange account set up?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2013, 01:04 PM

I've found cellular data uses an insane amount of juice, and whether you're on wifi at the moment is irrelevant.

I can get a 400% boost in life by turning it off.

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2013, 02:04 PM

I do have exchange set up, but have not updated to OS6.x.

I do have it set so it only checks for mail manually, so it's not supposed to be checking every 5 min.

P
Feb 20, 2013, 03:43 PM

Geofencing - reminders to do something when you come to or leave a certain location - are known to eat battery.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules