Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > some law schools require pc laptops...anyway getting around this?

some law schools require pc laptops...anyway getting around this?
cal4ever
Feb 16, 2004, 07:03 PM

I'm still waiting on my law school acceptance (and rejection :-/ ) letters, so this doesn't really pertain to me right now. Nevertheless, I want to be prepared!

I've been reading up on some of the laptop requirements law schools have. Some law schools, specifically NYU Law, states that they require students to have a Windows based laptop *gasp*. I just bought my powerbook and I refuse to go back to my old compaq laptop. Anyway, the website goes on to say that "simulators are not allowed." What do they mean by simulators? Does Virtual PC count as a simulator? Sorry if my question sounds extremely basic.

hayesk
Feb 16, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
I'm still waiting on my law school acceptance (and rejection :-/ ) letters, so this doesn't really pertain to me right now. Nevertheless, I want to be prepared!

I've been reading up on some of the laptop requirements law schools have. Some law schools, specifically NYU Law, states that they require students to have a Windows based laptop *gasp*. I just bought my powerbook and I refuse to go back to my old compaq laptop. Anyway, the website goes on to say that "simulators are not allowed." What do they mean by simulators? Does Virtual PC count as a simulator? Sorry if my question sounds extremely basic.
They probably mean VirtualPC, but don't listen to them. I'll bet they just say that so they aren't obliged to provide support. But do your homework - find out what software you need to run. If it runs in VPC then go for it until they tell you otherwise.

Regardless, it's a law school so don't choose a law school based on their platform of choice or computing ignorance. You can deal with that yourself.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 07:45 PM

You just said that you have a PC laptop. Bring it to school, show it around, and then do your homework in your secretly hidden Powerbook.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 07:50 PM

Find a law school that welcomes Macs....there are plenty of them.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 07:58 PM

What is the basis for this law? It makes no sense. A computer is a tool to get your work done.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 08:02 PM

The only time you're "required" to have a Windows laptop is for finals. Most law schools use SofTest for computer-based test taking, which is a Windows only piece of software from ExamSoft. The documentation for it specifically states that it doesn't work with VirtualPC. Most law schools, though, allow people to take regular paper finals if they don't have a laptop or if they simply don't feel comfortable using one for something that important.

Aside from that, the main things you'll be using your laptop for (note taking, briefing, Lexis/WestLaw, etc.) all work fine on a Mac. I haven't had any trouble.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 08:03 PM

The issue is examsoft. If you want to take your exams on a laptop, you will have to use their locking software, and it is PC only. It does not work with VPC because you can always switch out of VPC to the Mac OS, thus defeating the anti-cheating point of using the locking software.

However, I don't know of any law school that absolutely requires you to take your exams on a laptop. I take mine on paper. I take my notes that way as well, but I have friends who use Apple laptops. They just can't use them for their exams.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Find a law school that welcomes Macs....there are plenty of them.
Yeah don't go to NYU because they won't welcome your Mac.

That's the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Its required because most schools use Examsoft - which won't run in Virtual PC.
Just don't throw out yuor PC laptop. You will be able to use your Powerbook most of the time.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 08:09 PM

Just bring your PowerBook to class, and halfway through the lecture start yelling at it for crashing and complain about how you need to spend the weekend formatting and reinstalling everything. That way you'll fool them into thinking it's a PC.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 08:14 PM

That's pretty funny. Cal4ever got hit with three substantively identical replies from 3 law students all crossed within 3 minutes of each other. This is an illustration of cumulative evidence.

cal4ever  (op)
Feb 16, 2004, 08:44 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the replies! I guess I should take my compaq laptop out the trash. I had to use it for law school applications as well (LSAC had a required software that only worked with Windows).

I guess there is nothing wrong with using my pb for lectures, but my other laptop for finals.

Thanks everyone!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2004, 09:33 PM

I thought the following was pretty interesting, but very unfortunate:

This has long been a problem in law schools in this country. The ABA (American Bar Association) has done studies that indicate that between 30 to 40% of law students use Macs. But some law schools are forbidding students from using Macs simply because this test taking software does not exist for the Macintosh.
Sounds like a great open market to me, someone stands to make a fortune.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2004, 09:37 PM

By the way, ExamSoft DOES run in VPC if you add a floppy to it in the preferences. The problem is the liability. Unfortunately, it comes down the question of "what's it worth to you?"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2004, 09:39 PM

Here's the link I was looking at, by the way. It's filled with tons of great information for ya:

http://www3.macintouch.com/examsoft.html

One of the people there said they just but a $200 "throw away" PC JUST for exams, but does absolutely everything else on his iBook. Sounds like a good idea to me.

cal4ever  (op)
Feb 16, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Here's the link I was looking at, by the way. It's filled with tons of great information for ya:

http://www3.macintouch.com/examsoft.html

One of the people there said they just but a $200 "throw away" PC JUST for exams, but does absolutely everything else on his iBook. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Thanks for the information. I'm checking out the link right now.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
By the way, ExamSoft DOES run in VPC if you add a floppy to it in the preferences. The problem is the liability. Unfortunately, it comes down the question of "what's it worth to you?"
No. The problem is the Honor Code. If you run the software on a non-approved machine and lie about it, you can be expelled.

The point of Examsoft is to prevent you accessing notes on your hard drive in an exam. If you can flip back and forth between a windows environment and a Mac one, then you aren't locked out the way the law school wants to ensure the integrity of the exam. Hence the restriction to a PC.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 10:06 PM

Sue 'em!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 11:09 PM

I know there quite a few colleges now, that have deals with certain manufacturers to stipulate a brand (or OS), in return for donations.

So they no longer recommend all students bring a "Computer". All students would benefit from having a "Dell" in their dorm. NO longer a "computer", but "dell".

But they get nice breaks.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 11:12 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

That's the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
There's no way that's the most retarded thing you have ever heard.

Anyway, it was meant in jest. OlePigeon has posted what I had heard before -- 30% to 40% of law students use Macs, meaning there must be universities that allow them.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 07:21 AM

I would make the assertion that Macs use windows.

Then refer them to the legal battle between Lindows and MS over the correct use of the name "windows"!

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 08:47 AM

Sue the b�stards!
e-gads

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 09:41 PM

FWI, Georgetown Law just changed their policy and dropped the use of blocking software. This means that Apple laptops are now permissible in exams.

Just a shame I don't actually have a laptop.

boardsurfer
Mar 23, 2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Show them this.
boy, that there is a beautiful website.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
Sue the b�stards!
B�stards? Don't you mean b�stards?

Anyway, I wish my old school (granted, it was a high school) would have used something like ExamSoft... sure, you were allowed to use your laptop (even an Apple, I think, not that anyone had one) for your exams... They just required that you hand it over to them a week before the exam and then they formatted the hard drive(s) and installed only the programs necessary for your exams... woohoo...

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 03:11 AM

"...anyway getting around this?"

Hold a second. Think about what you just asked.

Are you *sure* you still want to become a lawyer?
I, ASIMO.

cal4ever  (op)
Mar 24, 2004, 03:55 AM

I haven't heard from NYU Law School yet, but I got into Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley's law school). That was my first choice, so I'm most likely going there. And Berkeley generally adores Macs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules