Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 89)
ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2009, 11:48 AM

When they were broadcast, an original BSG episode could have 30-60 seconds of preview. Sometimes the extra time was just "gee whiz" effects shots and sometimes it was "tension building" stuff. You're right that the original wasn't as character driven as the current series, but in 1978 the market was for gee whiz and that sort of thing, not intense plots driven by intense characters. Remember, the point of the original BSG was to cash in on the original Star Wars, not to "make art." Still, I went to the trouble to see the pilot in a theater in Toronto because I couldn't wait for it to be on TV in the States...and I thought it was really cool, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
And Kara is the daughter of a piano player...

HmmmMMMMMMmmmmm.
Which leads me to say hmmm about this

Nemo me impune lacesset

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2009, 01:36 PM

Hmm, this last ep had so much info I couldn't parse it all. Almost too expositiony but necessary.

I'm totally on board with

I think they're telegraphing that pretty clearly.

But I do wonder if Baltar is someone else important's child. If the final 5 helped the centurions create man-like children, maybe the final five also helped humanity make cylon-like children...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 01:45 PM

I don't think that Daniel is Balter, it's too big of a plot hole. Ellen would have known that Daniel was still alive, as we wasn't killed on New Caprica. I don't think Balter's selfishness really lends himself to being a "sensitive" type either.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 02:48 PM

So was there a trailer for next week as I didn't see one. I hope next week isn't a re-run.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 03:54 PM

analogue: the BSG website says that Deadlock airs next Friday: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 03:58 PM

Have any of you guys watched the special versions of the full episodes provided on the scifi.com website with director commentary? I'm tempted to watch No Exit with the commentary, but I'm wondering how much the directors would give away this way?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 04:32 PM

I think we learned more in this one episode then we did all last season.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 04:35 PM

Good episode, even if it was mainly exposition. We finally know the outline of the entire story, and the reason for the 3,000 year gap between the holocaust on earth and the one on the Colonies:

Re: Cavil. It's a nice use of dramatic irony, in that. . .

Also a very nice exploration of the idea of God: is the God in which the cylons believe the echo of a real belief, or is it something built into the by the final five?
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Feb 14, 2009 at 04:57 PM. )
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 04:50 PM

Revised timeline, with info from the last episode:

Things I'm missing:

1) If we assume the various religious stories and legends of the 12 colonies are based on some distant historical fact, where do the stories of angry gods and the 13 tribe heading to earth fit into this?

Did I miss anything else?
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Feb 14, 2009 at 08:09 PM. )

OreoCookie
Feb 14, 2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't think that Daniel is Balter, it's too big of a plot hole. Ellen would have known that Daniel was still alive, as we wasn't killed on New Caprica. I don't think Balter's selfishness really lends himself to being a "sensitive" type either.
I think Baltar is the perfect candidate for Daniel, scientists are artists. (At least we lead the life of artists )

I think this was another great episode.

BTW, no jokes until now that PC guy effed up the surgery?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 05:20 PM

So, if Balter and Starbuck slept together that one time that means that Starbuck slept with a copy of her Dad!

Do the cylons age?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 05:22 PM

Never mind, Cylons must age cause there were flashbacks to the XO and Adama as younger men...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 05:28 PM

Don Picket: One problem with your timeline is that Earth was all Cylon, not just partially Cylon.

I think the episode made clear that:

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 05:38 PM

Don Pickett:

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Don Picket: One problem with your timeline is that Earth was all Cylon, not just partially Cylon.

I think the episode made clear that:

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 05:47 PM

Don Pickett:

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post

Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 08:41 PM

Why are we using spoiler boxes?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Cold Warrior
Feb 14, 2009, 08:47 PM

Yes. There's really no need for them.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Because maybe not everyone has seen the latest episode.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 09:28 PM

If you think about it, Kara being a Cylon child would complete the circle....

Helo and Sharron's baby = Human/Cylon Hybrid
Tigh and Six's baby = Earth Cylon/Colony Cylon Hybrid
Daniel and Kara's mom's baby (Kara) = Earth Cylon/Human hybrid

Thus mixing everyone with everyone.

(NM, I realized Daniel would be a Cylon Cylon : facepalm : )
( Last edited by goMac; Feb 14, 2009 at 09:40 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 09:53 PM

Last week no spoiler boxes for upcoming episodes, this week spoiler boxes on already aired episodes.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2009, 09:59 PM

I used it because I posted a spoiler about an upcoming episode. Not sure why everyone else is.
Nemo me impune lacesset

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 10:02 PM

I totally called the existence of a 13th Cylon.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 10:15 PM

I put the revised timeline on my website.

eowyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2009, 12:02 AM

I put the revised timeline on my website.
1) The Centurions were created by the humans in the Colonies, not on Kobol or on Earth. Anders said: "We needed to find the other tribes and warn them. We knew they would continue to create artificial life, we needed to tell them: treat them well and keep them close. But by the time we got to the Colonies, they were already at war with the Centurions, it happened again."

He also said later that, "The Centurions were already trying to make flesh bodies. They *had* created the hybrids, but nothing that lived on its own, so we made them a deal: You stop the war and we'll help you. We developed the eight humanoid models and we gave them resurrection."

And while Tory said, "But the humans on Kobol made us. Go back far enough, it's always them," I'm not sure that means that humans actually made skinjobs - or just that the humans made metal Cylons, who then made humanoid Cylons themselves. I'm leaning toward humanoids being a Cylon invention, personally....

2) I think the 13th tribe, the one that settled on Earth, was Cylon only. I can't think of anything in the show that indicated that anything other than Cylons lived there.

3) So, do you think that maybe the Earth Cylons stopped at the algae planet and visited the shrine (and left that "map" back to Earth) on their way back to Kobol, so they could use that as a starting place for finding the 12 Colonies - just as the humans from the Colonies go to Kobol as a starting place for finding Earth? Nice symmetry there if so.... And everything goes back to Kobol. Maybe the show ends there somehow...
7) Ehh...again, I don't think anything other than Cylons lived on Earth. But we don't know what *did* cause the nuclear holocaust there. Another interesting thing, though - Anders said: "Back on Earth, the warning signs that we got, it looked different to each one of us. I saw a woman, Tory you saw a man. Funny, no one else could see them."

So, they had "head people"? Who?? Probably Ron Moore and David Eick...so which one of them was the woman Anders saw?

9) Yup, the Final Five definitely helped end the "first" Cylon War, see point 1 above ("'we made them a deal").

11) "Thousands of years?" Do we really have any idea how long the Cylons were enslaved by humans? Long enough anyway, cuz Cavil was certainly thirsty for that revenge. The jerk.

eowyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2009, 12:03 AM

BTW, hi everybody. I'm kinda new here...and I'm definitely sometimes too wordy, but only online, not in real life. (besson3c might disagree with me about that, though....)

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by eowyn View Post
1) The Centurions were created by the humans in the Colonies, not on Kobol or on Earth. Anders said: "We needed to find the other tribes and warn them. We knew they would continue to create artificial life, we needed to tell them: treat them well and keep them close. But by the time we got to the Colonies, they were already at war with the Centurions, it happened again."

He also said later that, "The Centurions were already trying to make flesh bodies. They *had* created the hybrids, but nothing that lived on its own, so we made them a deal: You stop the war and we'll help you. We developed the eight humanoid models and we gave them resurrection."

And while Tory said, "But the humans on Kobol made us. Go back far enough, it's always them," I'm not sure that means that humans actually made skinjobs - or just that the humans made metal Cylons, who then made humanoid Cylons themselves. I'm leaning toward humanoids being a Cylon invention, personally....
I don't see anything in there which says the humans on Kobol didn't make the centurions first, and it seems a logical first step. I'll keep that part of the timeline as it is, unless something more concrete comes forward. And, if the centurions had made the skinjobs I don't think they would've needed the help of the Final Five to make more skinjobs. Seems to be both centurions and skinjobs were made on Kobol a long time ago.

2) I think the 13th tribe, the one that settled on Earth, was Cylon only. I can't think of anything in the show that indicated that anything other than Cylons lived there.
I will keep the maybe in there until something more affirmative comes along from the show.

3) So, do you think that maybe the Earth Cylons stopped at the algae planet and visited the shrine (and left that "map" back to Earth) on their way back to Kobol, so they could use that as a starting place for finding the 12 Colonies - just as the humans from the Colonies go to Kobol as a starting place for finding Earth? Nice symmetry there if so.... And everything goes back to Kobol. Maybe the show ends there somehow...
Dunno. It seems the 13th tribe stopped at the algae planet on their way to Earth. I don't know why, though. And all we know about the communication from Earth to Kobol is what information was carried: the constellation names and view of them from Earth.

11) "Thousands of years?" Do we really have any idea how long the Cylons were enslaved by humans? Long enough anyway, cuz Cavil was certainly thirsty for that revenge. The jerk.
It seems to be several thousand years. The holocaust on earth was dated at 2,000 or 3,000 years ago by the Galactica crew and the clyons (don't remember which date). Assuming the Final Five left soon after it happened, it took them those several thousand years to travel to the 12 Colonies.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 01:26 AM

Timeline updated. Read the battlestar wiki and found I was wrong about the creation date of the centurions, among other things.

As an aside, if the 13th Tribe left 4,000 years ago, and the scrolls of Pythia were written 1,600 years before the humans left Kobol, that means the 13th Tribe travelled to Earth, colonized it, and word of that journey made it back to Kobol all in the span of 400 years. According to math done at the wiki, the 12 Colonies are about 10,250 light years from Earth, which means the 13th Tribe travelled at about 25x the speed of light to make the journey in 400 years, or about 50 times the speed of light to get there and back in 400 years. Inneresting when, according to Anders, jump drive hadn't been invented when the final five made the journey from the nuked Earth to the 12 Colonies.
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Feb 15, 2009 at 04:30 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 02:08 AM

Don Pickett: in the first episode of Season 4.5 (Sometimes a Great Notion) they said that they 13th tribe was Cylon...

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 03:02 AM

Don Pickett: in the first episode of Season 4.5 (Sometimes a Great Notion) they said that they 13th tribe was Cylon...
I know. I'm just keeping it in there on the off chance some humans went on the journey, which brings me to a question: according to Anders in the last episode, the resurrection technology had to be created because the cylons on Earth began to reproduce sexually and forgot, or lost, the ability to pass on memories.

If that's true, what's the difference between a human and one of the final five cylons who reproduces sexually? Is there one?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 10:55 AM

If that's true, what's the difference between a human and one of the final five cylons who reproduces sexually? Is there one?
The final five can resurrect and sometimes appear to have super-human strength.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 12:36 PM

As an aside, if the 13th Tribe left 4,000 years ago, and the scrolls of Pythia were written 1,600 years before the humans left Kobol, that means the 13th Tribe travelled to Earth, colonized it, and word of that journey made it back to Kobol all in the span of 400 years. According to math done at the wiki, the 12 Colonies are about 10,250 light years from Earth, which means the 13th Tribe travelled at about 25x the speed of light to make the journey in 400 years, or about 50 times the speed of light to get there and back in 400 years. Inneresting when, according to Anders, jump drive hadn't been invented when the final five made the journey from the nuked Earth to the 12 Colonies.
Anders only confirmed that FTL travel wasn't available yet, that doesn't rule out FTL communication. Also, remember that Ellen told Cavil that the 5 didn't create the temple of the 5, or at least didn't design the signal with the supernova, and so god must have done it. If that's true (she's not lying or ignorant of the temple's design), the same could be true of all the mythology of the show (temple of athena, scrolls of pythia, etc). I think it's clear that the 5 didn't have anything to do with Starbuck's travel to Earth and resurrection, so we know there is at least one unrevealed character with the ability and inclination to meddle in the affairs of the fleet.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 01:26 PM

I wonder if Baltar is the son of Cavel.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Anders only confirmed that FTL travel wasn't available yet, that doesn't rule out FTL communication. Also, remember that Ellen told Cavil that the 5 didn't create the temple of the 5, or at least didn't design the signal with the supernova, and so god must have done it. If that's true (she's not lying or ignorant of the temple's design), the same could be true of all the mythology of the show (temple of athena, scrolls of pythia, etc). I think it's clear that the 5 didn't have anything to do with Starbuck's travel to Earth and resurrection, so we know there is at least one unrevealed character with the ability and inclination to meddle in the affairs of the fleet.
In the BG universe there is neither FLT travel or FTL communication: the ships use jump/warp drive tech, so they never go more quickly than the speed of light. And while the five didn't build the temple, that doesn't mean the skinjobs journeying from Kobol to Earth didn't: I am assuming the group known as the 13th Tribe included many more than just those five.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 02:41 PM

In the BG universe there is neither FLT travel or FTL communication: the ships use jump/warp drive tech, so they never go more quickly than the speed of light.
Then why do they say "spin up the FTL" when they're getting ready to make a jump?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Then why do they say "spin up the FTL" when they're getting ready to make a jump?
According to the writers, the system works not by actually making the ships travel faster than the speed of light, but by warping space so that two adjacent points, many light years apart, are temporarily brought close to each other to create a temporary short route between the two. So, in essence, the drives are FTL drives in that they allow the ships to travel many light years in an instant, but the ships themselves never get near the speed of light.

The classic example is that of a worm on the surface of an apple. If the worm wants to get to the other side of the apple it has two choices. It can either crawl along the surface of the apple, or it can burrow straight through. The FTL drives allow the ships to burrow through without violating the speed of light.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2009, 03:21 PM

Which is still faster than light travel, even if the ship doesn't reach those speeds.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Which is still faster than light travel, even if the ship doesn't reach those speeds.
It's an important distinction to make, though. Pretty much means no FTL transfer of information absent physical travel.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 05:15 PM

The classic example is that of a worm on the surface of an apple. If the worm wants to get to the other side of the apple it has two choices. It can either crawl along the surface of the apple, or it can burrow straight through. The FTL drives allow the ships to burrow through without violating the speed of light.
Surely you can imagine that a precursor to FTL travel is FTL communication, regardless of the mechanism of the travel. For your worm, it very likely could send information (such as hormones or vibrations) through the apple directly before it managed to crawl through itself.

Another point I read elsewhere, is that humanity may not have originated on Kobol (even though it seems to currently believe that it did). If the humans of Kobol came from Earth before it all, they could have brought the information (location of earth) with them, then they would have this information for using when their descendants (biological or otherwise) later embarked back towards earth, leaving signposts along the way.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 05:48 PM

Another point I read elsewhere, is that humanity may not have originated on Kobol (even though it seems to currently believe that it did). If the humans of Kobol came from Earth before it all, they could have brought the information (location of earth) with them, then they would have this information for using when their descendants (biological or otherwise) later embarked back towards earth, leaving signposts along the way.
I read some of the stuff about origin theories on the battlestar wiki, and it's all more arcane than I care to be. For the time being I will leave the origin of humans on Kobol. Obviously, if something comes up in the show which answers that question I will change things.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 06:11 PM

I read some of the stuff about origin theories on the battlestar wiki, and it's all more arcane than I care to be. For the time being I will leave the origin of humans on Kobol. Obviously, if something comes up in the show which answers that question I will change things.
I don't care where they come from, I'm just saying your explanation that they had to travel faster than light to make it all work has several large holes.

"As an aside, if the 13th Tribe left 4,000 years ago, and the scrolls of Pythia were written 1,600 years before the humans left Kobol, that means the 13th Tribe travelled to Earth, colonized it, and word of that journey made it back to Kobol all in the span of 400 years....which means the 13th Tribe travelled at about 25x the speed of light"

This is based on several assumptions that we really have no basis for making.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 07:06 PM

I don't care where they come from, I'm just saying your explanation that they had to travel faster than light to make it all work has several large holes.

"As an aside, if the 13th Tribe left 4,000 years ago, and the scrolls of Pythia were written 1,600 years before the humans left Kobol, that means the 13th Tribe travelled to Earth, colonized it, and word of that journey made it back to Kobol all in the span of 400 years....which means the 13th Tribe travelled at about 25x the speed of light"

This is based on several assumptions that we really have no basis for making.
It doesn't have that many large holes. And, dude, absent any official statement from the writers speculation is all we have. We don't even know any of the distances involved. We can assume that, as the fleet can travel superluminally, and as it took them over a year to find Kobol, that the distances are at least measured in light years, and quite probably in tens, hundreds or even thousands of light years.

On the battlestar wiki there is one clue in the navigation section as to the distances involved: the use of the Lagoon Nebula as recognizable from Earth puts the 12 Colonies at about 10,250 light years from Earth.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 07:26 PM

I never disputed the distances you claimed, only the conclusions you draw from them. The large holes are that the final 5 had to travel back to Kobol and the algae planet to create the temples (they don't, they only have to communicate the location of earth there), and that they had to do it on the same journey described by Anders (they don't, they could have migrated back and forth any number of times, those temples being built on a previous trip). But since you brought up the writers, Moore has stated that he doesn't want any part of any evolution debate, and that the humans of BSG evolved on Earth. All this has happened before, yadda yadda yadda, so for all we know, people have migrated from Earth to Kobol to Earth to Kobol, to the colonies, to Kobol and back to Earth, maybe dozens of times, at various speeds.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 07:59 PM

I never disputed the distances you claimed, only the conclusions you draw from them. The large holes are that the final 5 had to travel back to Kobol and the algae planet to create the temples (they don't, they only have to communicate the location of earth there), and that they had to do it on the same journey described by Anders (they don't, they could have migrated back and forth any number of times, those temples being built on a previous trip).
Then I wasn't clear: I think the temple was built on the 13th Tribe's original migration.

But since you brought up the writers, Moore has stated that he doesn't want any part of any evolution debate, and that the humans of BSG evolved on Earth. All this has happened before, yadda yadda yadda, so for all we know, people have migrated from Earth to Kobol to Earth to Kobol, to the colonies, to Kobol and back to Earth, maybe dozens of times, at various speeds.
I missed that. Then it will be interesting to see how the history unfolds over the remaining episodes.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 08:11 PM

Then I wasn't clear: I think the temple was built on the 13th Tribe's original migration.
Didn't Ellen explicitly say that they did not build the temple?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Did she? If so, I missed it.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I think she explicitly said that they had nothing to do with the supernova. That certainly raises questions about who built the temple, since until now we had assumed its purpose was to augment/predict/explain the supernova. I'll have to watch it again...

lexapro
Baninated
Feb 15, 2009, 09:28 PM

I would like to know if Ellen knew who and what she was before the died and rezzed or other "realized" it after she rezzed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules