Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I just deleted over 1000 items from OSX, and...

I just deleted over 1000 items from OSX, and...
Cipher13
Mar 23, 2001, 11:12 PM

...and the damn thing is faster.
FASTER DAMMIT!

I dunno what inspired me to do it... I guess it felt like ResEditing OSX
I'd been meaning to do it for a while... and thanks to the dude who reminded me about it (you know who you are).

Stupid Apple packed so much sh!t into OSX...
Argh.

Ok, heres what I did - booted to OS9.
I deleted a bunch of things from the StartupItems folder - like Apache, and the SSL stuff, NetworkTime, and so on. About 5 folders worth.

I can't really remember exactly what I deleted, but the main thing was:

Every single .app I had, I manually went through, and deleted everything in the "Resources" folder regarding Spanish.lproj, German, etc - just leaving English.lproj, and other misc files that may be there.

In total, I removed 266 items from StartupItems, and 814 from all the rest of OSX, for well over 100 megs worth of absolutely useless crap.
Well, to me anyway.

I might reinstall Apache later, but right now, I don't need it.

This is sweet folks, do it!
I'm gonna reinstall and do it again, and I'll document what I delete.
Hehehe.

Cipher13

Cipher13  (op)
Mar 23, 2001, 11:22 PM

Oh yeah... don't blame me if you screw something up.
Just be careful.

Cipher13

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 12:19 AM

Hell yeh Cipher! Nice, I was wondering if all that "non-localized" stuff would weigh on the OS. Haven't gotten OSX yet (12hours and counting) but I'd love to try this. Post that sH*t, yo! later.

Joey
Mar 24, 2001, 12:24 AM

No offense, Cipher, but I still suspect your tinkering with so many beta and post-beta builds may be part of the problem with your super-slow install as it is. Tread carefully.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 12:25 AM

Great post. Can't wait to hear your documentation. For you to say it's faster, it must be blazing. Thanks.

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 12:31 AM

Hell, I don't care. I'll pretty much try anything with this OS right now. It's gonna be on it's own drive so if I **** anything up I'll just re-format and re-install.

Solishu
Mar 24, 2001, 12:34 AM

Run some benchmarks before and after editing your system so we can be sure that it's not just a percieved speed-up. That would be sweet if we could have a guide like that.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 12:35 AM

I don't have my OS X intall disks yet, but I'm confused as to why you had to delete these things... isn't there a way to shut them off, to get the system to ignore them without deleting the resources, by way of some preference settings instead?

I understand why it would be faster, but in my mind I would have thought Apple would let you do the equivalent of disabling extensions but OS X style. I'm not going to use FTP and Apache anytime soon, nor any of the languages, so why can't I just tell OS X to ignore them at start up (or not install them in the first place) rather than booting into OS 9.1 and deleting folders?

And when you have your list ready, could you give a brief description of each app you're disabling?

Please and thankyou.

(Gawd I'm such OS X newbie)
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Solishu
Mar 24, 2001, 12:36 AM

Run some benchmarks before and after editing your system so we can be sure that it's not just a percieved speed-up. That would be sweet if we could have a guide like that.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 12:45 AM

I don't have my OS X intall disks yet, but I'm confused as to why you had to delete these things... isn't there a way to shut them off, to get the system to ignore them without deleting the resources, by way of some preference settings instead?

I understand why it would be faster, but in my mind I would have thought Apple would let you do the equivalent of disabling extensions but OS X style. I'm not going to use FTP and Apache anytime soon, nor any of the languages, so why can't I just tell OS X to ignore them at start up (or not install them in the first place) rather than booting into OS 9.1 and deleting folders?

And when you have your list ready, could you give a brief description of each app you're disabling?

Please and thankyou.

(Gawd I'm such a OS X newbie)
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2001, 03:10 AM

I'm going to move this over to the Mac OS X Usage & Support forum. Click through to find your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules