Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Blizzard announces new game -- Starcraft: Ghost

Blizzard announces new game -- Starcraft: Ghost
parallax
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2002, 08:53 PM

Yep, yep.

http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/

It's console-only, but Blizzard's news is everyone's news. ;o)
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by parallax:
Yep, yep.

http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/

It's console-only, but Blizzard's news is everyone's news. ;o)
why should this be console only? blizzard, can you fill us in?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by mattsliva:
why should this be console only? blizzard, can you fill us in?
Why do every games have to be on PC? There's strengths/weakness in both console and PC.

P
Sep 22, 2002, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Why do every games have to be on PC? There's strengths/weakness in both console and PC.
Why is there such a thing as consoles anyway? Nintendo-style consoles for kids I can understand, but PS2 and Xbox are intended for young grownups who should know enough to get a computer.

Oh yeah, and I think the new Starcraft is on console because there the real Starcraft wouldn't work well without a keyboard. I think it was ported (or was that C&C?) but it didn't work out well.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by P:
Why is there such a thing as consoles anyway? Nintendo-style consoles for kids I can understand, but PS2 and Xbox are intended for young grownups who should know enough to get a computer.
I think this speak for itself:

Minimum Requirement

If you think console is stupid, you haven't been looking too closely to console's market. Console's market is averaging around $10 billions while PC games' market is around $2 billions. Console games sold more than theater movies and DVD movies. Think more carefully next time.

BTW, Nintendo isn't for kids. It's for general audience. I'm 19 yrs old and I still play it. People who call Nintendo a kiddy system is some kind of jerk. You think Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Resident Evil, etc is aimed to kid? Yeah right

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2002, 03:19 PM

Also:

Gaming PC ~ a grand
XBox ~ two hundred

And performance roughly equals. I was thinking about picking up an XBox but then realized I wouldn't be able to eat if I did.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

P
Sep 22, 2002, 05:46 PM

Hey, I still play old Nintendo (8-bit and 16-bit) games using emulators on my iMac, and there are good games for them, but Nintendo's focus was always kids. And btw, I got through Metroid at age 8 or 9. PS1/2 and Xbox are more aimed at "young adults" (I hate the term, but that's what they call the market), and I fail to see any technical reason for this segment.

Comparing the market for games to consoles/PC is hardly fair - there is a markup to pay for the console included in the price of each game. This is the reason consoles are so much cheaper (even if $200 seems low) but even that is not my point. My point is that to get all good games, many avid gamers have both a console and a recent PC. There is no technical reason for this.

The point I'm trying to get across is that gamers are getting screwed since they're buying hardware they don't need because the market is fragmented.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2002, 02:57 AM

I always thought of Nintendo's focus as making entertaining games, not making games for kids. A majority of the games for Nintendo's consoles are aimed for "all ages," but I don't see that as meaning the majority is for kids. Hey, I loved Mario when I was 5 or 6, and he still kicks ass.

My generation seems to have grown into feeling ashamed for playing something not "adult-oriented." Man, give me a helping of Nintendo franchises with a dash of Resident Evil, Turok, and Mortal Kombat, and I'll be a happy man forever.

Man, where's Ca$h to bash all of us Nintendo kiddie homos that don't like GTA3?

Anyway, back on topic, I think Ghost looks very interesting. Here's hoping on the GameCube version, since it was announced for "multiple consoles" and not all consoles. I'm guessing PS2 and GameCube. M$ can go suck on Rareware, now.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 06:26 PM

It's on the GCN (PS2 and Xbox [*shudder*] as well).
Don't sweat.
IGN insider speaking here.
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules