Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?

Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?
MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 09:27 PM

I've gotta say it's getting tough to keep up the fight against the cell phone. I'm afraid this may be the year�The Year Josh Breaks Down And Gets A Cell Phone�.

I've been researching the past few months, talking with friends�who have almost every service there is�reading up on phone online, and so on, and I've come down to T-Mobile, since they don't want deposits from us poor souls without credit.

And after reading up on the Sony Ericsson T610, I'm totally sold on it. I really like the design of the phone. And it's got BlueTooth�*and* I can theme it! I'm such a consumer whore.

I don't particularly like the idea of being in constant contact with everyone I know, but I don't have to always pick it up. And it would be nice to be able to be in contact with friends anywhere; it'll be easy on plan-making. And I miss so many calls in my house as it is�folks are call waiting inept 'round these parts�I think it's time I caved.

Sounds like I've convinced myself on the Internet.

This year will probably be ... The Year�.

Anyone else still resisting? Or, at least, finding it hard to resist? Anyone else totally enamored with the T610? Anyone ashamed of it?
( Last edited by MindFad; May 4, 2004 at 09:37 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I never wanted one either...

Then my parents made me get one when I started going to school 1 hour away. Has come in handy.

I have had it about 1 year now... only 3:45 hours worth of calls on it. Wooo.

So yeah, get a plan for someone who don't use it much.

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; May 4, 2004 at 09:50 PM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:33 PM

Cell phones are great. If you use the phone a lot, it might even save you money by going to cell phone route if you have free roaming, free long distance, unlimited nights and weekends with the cell phone service.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:42 PM

I've resisted, mostly because I don't want to become permanently attached to a phone. I know I could just leave it at home or turn it off, but then what's the point. Plus, with a landline I can have extensions all over the house - with a cell phone I'd have to run around looking for it. And landlines always work.

I always liked Fred Couples' response when a reporter asked him why he didn't answer the phone: "Because there might be someone on the other end."

But the time will come.

OH-N'omac
May 4, 2004, 09:45 PM

Be careful what you sign, most providers will go easy on deposit or give you free equipment, but they're going to want you to sign a two-year contract with a steep early termination fee. Two years can be a long time, especially if the carrier raises their rates or develops a network or customer service problem. Just remember that nothing is really free, whatever they give you up front, they will make you pay for in time. Don't be short sighted and get ripped off.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 09:49 PM

I gave up my cell phone around 3 years ago... at the time, the service in my town sucked.

While it's nice to have the ability to call people any time, it sucks to be able to call people at any time...

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 09:52 PM

Go the pre-paid you. Pay as you go. it's more expensive per minute, but if you rarely use it, then it's cheaper then a monthly plan, and you can cancel at any time.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:54 PM

i will save my 30 bucks a month thank you very much

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:55 PM

I've ****sccchhhh************* ad a cel*BZZ*************** one for about ten ************SCHZZDDSCCHHHTTZZT**************ears now and it's bee************ztttzzzschhhcghghtz************** eal handy, let me tell yo

If you'd like to make a call, please hang up, and try your call again. Beep. Beep. Beep.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 09:56 PM

I was resisting up until a year ago. I moved out of the dorms and into an apartment, and most of my roommates were just going to use their cell phones instead of chipping in for a landline.

Now I can't imagine not having a cell phone. I went with T-Mobile and it always works as long as I'm near civilization. My parents live in Iowa (I live in Milwaukee) and there is only about a 25-minute period on the drive there where my phone cuts out.

Perhaps the best aspect of only having a cell phone is that I never get calls from telemarketers. It's also convenient in that it is extremely private: since there's really no phone book for cellular services, the only people that can get ahold of me are people I want getting ahold of me.

Link
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 09:57 PM

Just do what I do. They're calling a cellphone so they might be hung up on or not get their call answered

Generally if there's a point where I'm talking to even my mom and suddenly I need to use both my hands I just hang up it's a cell phone after all not a phone phone

I hate it when people prioritize their cellphone over what's going on around them. That's when bad things happen
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
Go the pre-paid you. Pay as you go. it's more expensive per minute, but if you rarely use it, then it's cheaper then a monthly plan, and you can cancel at any time.
I've been looking in to this... especially considering some of them are less then 20� a minute. Yah, that's a ton, but considering I only used mine at the most for 20 minutes a month...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:09 PM

You may want to go with the t630. My t610 sucks in sunlight, and i think they fixed the screen in the 630.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 10:11 PM

I have yet to give into the cell phone craze. To be honest, I don't get it. If you get so many phone calls that you have to have a phone with you at all time, then your life sucks.

The only virtues of cell phone use I see are William Hung ringtones and the vibration capability.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
If you get so many phone calls that you have to have a phone with you at all time, then your life sucks.
That's kind of an unfair generalization. I don't get all that many phone calls, a cell phone was just right for me. The benefits it offered outweighed the benefits of a landline, so I went with a cell phone.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 10:29 PM

Okay, college kids and cell phones. What the. Here's a little story.

About three weeks ago, my band played a Fraternity party. Mind you, the fine brothers of Kappa Whatever paid us well in excess of $1000.00 (apologies to iWrite) to provide the soundtrack for their mirth, merriment, hijinx, dining (crawdad fest) and dancing pleasure. Whatever, it's their money. Well, actually, now it's ours. But I digress. Anyway, I noticed early on just what a popular item the cellular phone is with today's modern Fratenity and Sorority brother or sister. It struck me that party-goers were conversing more with friends or family who weren't there than they were with folks who were, such were the sheer numbers of revelers with the devices held fast to the sides of their heads.

But of course, for the Frat boy of Today, it's not enough to just be seen talking incessantly on your mobile digital assistant-- you also have to stride somewhat purposefully about, as if there is some import to the conversation, and you really are going somewhere. Invariably, this walking about would lead them in front of the bandstand, since we were positioned exactly halfway from here to there. These kids, who had paid us good money, I remind you, (apologies again, iWrite) would, over and over again (I saw it happen probably thirty times), when they reached the proximity of the Public Address system, wince, jam a finger in their free ear, and give us a little glare, like we were interfering with their phone call.

Please, Josh, Don't let this happen to you.
( Last edited by chris v; May 4, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 10:36 PM

If you do the deed, get a Nokia 3620.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 10:38 PM

Cell phones are great for those with a bad sense of direction and get lost often, like me.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 10:41 PM

I don't have a cell phone, and neither does my girlfriend. We're going to Japan for a year this September, and we're planning to get cell phones there, though.

Today there was a WiscMUG meeting, and they demonstrated SallingClicker. That was VERY cool. It really made me want to get a phone (and made me wish I had gotten internal BlueTooth) but it would be stupid to get one now when I've only got a few months left in the States.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:44 PM

I was given one by the company I used to work for, it came in handy to call home. It was definately not handy to find out about jobs when you were almost home from the last one

I have thought about getting a pager because I go fishing/hiking a fair amount, but what good is it to just know you're wanted. I'll probably just remain incognito.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:47 PM

I have never been interested in them. they seem too expensive to me. if i am out and need to make a call, I'll spend the 50 cents once a month to do it. it's wierd to look around and see so many people on phones all the time... what the heck are they all talking about?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 10:55 PM

I've resisted. The cheapest plan I've found that's decent is about $40/month before taxes. I don't want to shell out the cash. Besides, if I got one, I'd probably have to get my wife one too, and then the monthly outlay would be $70/month. I just don't have a use for a cell phone. I gave it up having a cell phone about 3 years ago and don't miss it.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
I have never been interested in them. they seem too expensive to me. if i am out and need to make a call, I'll spend the 50 cents once a month to do it. it's wierd to look around and see so many people on phones all the time... what the heck are they all talking about?
You're posting in a forum with strangers and asking that question?

Mike

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 11:02 PM

Well, I have a cell phone, but it's my only phone. I ditched my land-line phone about a year ago. I've been really happy with that decision.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by starman:
You're posting in a forum with strangers and asking that question?

Mike
did you ever notice that that stick pointing smiley looks kinda mean? sometimes i want to just poke someone back but not use the mean looking stick guy.

i browse the forums when i am at home with nothing much to do and just need to relax... a lot of people talk constantly in their cars, in their classes, at church, etc... they just talk forever about nothing. nah, i'll stick to a land line.

and on a side note, why do you write your name at the bottom of every post? you just kinda like it a lot or what? i mean there is your nickname at the top, your signature at the bottom, and then you add your name in every message on top of that. wierd.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
You know, I looked into those because I was thinking of getting my mother a phone. It would just be for emergencies if she ever needed it. Every card and plan I saw had a time limit on it. So, for example, if I bought 30 minutes if she didn't use it within 3 or 6 months it just evaporated. Seems kind of useless to me. If you've found one where that wasn't the case I might do it. I don't want to buy something and not use all of it and then when I find I might need it, it's expired.

MindFad, don't let the fear of it taking over your life be the deciding factor. It's only as corrupting as you allow it to be. That's true with everything. Does TV control your time? Your iPod? Your computer?

I have a really basic plan. It's an early one that isn't even offered anymore. $20 a month. They grandfathered me in when AT&T bought the original provider. I don't use it that often but when I need it, it's a great thing to have. Not many people call me on it because they know that I rarely answer it so they usually try at home or at work. Remember, you can train those around you too.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

andi*pandi
May 4, 2004, 11:17 PM

I'm about to make the leap to get a new phone. I don't use mine very often, but can't quite see living without it. I'd rather ditch the landline, except the husband wants 911 to know where we are when we call, etc.

My current phone is old, but I like it. I don't want a new phone with text messaging and pictures and obnoxious ringtones. When I first got my phone we were happy to have speeddial, dammit!

andi*pandi
May 4, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
About three weeks ago, my band played a Fraternity party. ...... when they reached the proximity of the Public Address system, wince, jam a finger in their free ear, and give us a little glare, like we were interfering with their phone call.
I so want to hear the song you write about this.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
did you ever notice that that stick pointing smiley looks kinda mean? sometimes i want to just poke someone back but not use the mean looking stick guy.

i browse the forums when i am at home with nothing much to do and just need to relax... a lot of people talk constantly in their cars, in their classes, at church, etc... they just talk forever about nothing. nah, i'll stick to a land line.

and on a side note, why do you write your name at the bottom of every post? you just kinda like it a lot or what? i mean there is your nickname at the top, your signature at the bottom, and then you add your name in every message on top of that. wierd.
It's not weird when you've been doing it on the net since 1988.

Mike

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

What is the main difference between the T610 and T616 anyway?

I don't see anywhere on T-Mobile's website to even get the T616 instead. Is it possible to just buy whatever phone you want from Sony and then activate with whatever company that supports that phone? T-Mobile, for example.

I'm ignorant when it comes to these things.

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

What is the main difference between the T610 and T616 anyway?

I don't see anywhere on T-Mobile's website to even get the T616 instead. Is it possible to just buy whatever phone you want from Sony and then activate with whatever company that supports that phone? T-Mobile, for example.

I'm ignorant when it comes to these things.
Sure! T-Mobile in the US supports any GSM phone.

OTOH, some GSM companies (at&t for example - and cingular I think) only support GSM850.. so as long as you're in the US I'd suggest a GSM850 phone. The T610 supports it, the well-awaited Z600 does not, yet, at least). Then again some people just don't need that at all.

The process is simple. All you have to do is take the SIM card the phone company gives you and slide it into the new phone. Generally this slot would be under the battery

As for what chris v said... I never could figure out the point of using a cell phone at a PARTY.
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Link:
As for what chris v said... I never could figure out the point of using a cell phone at a PARTY.
To invite CHICKS.

Oh, NOW everything makes sense

Mike

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:26 AM

haha that makes tons of sense
Aloha

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 12:47 AM

Whatever you do, don't get a Nokia, and make sure your phone has Bluetooth (for bluejacking )
Tmobile has a special plan for 1000 minutes a month. Get it. Yeah, you might say you won't use as many minutes? Let a month go by, and you'll see.

Also, I'd say to avoid the T610, but the choices in the US are pretty limited, so that's a decent option. If you want, you could get the T610, sell it on ebay, and buy another cooler phone. Like the SE P900

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:55 AM

*drool* the SE P900 is an AWESOME little phone. They run about $800 though.

I agree about nokia phones. They're not pretty and have LOUSY music. I remember about a year ago anywhere you went the some-30 songs that came with the 5xxx and 3xxx nokias were probably the most popular ringtones on a phone..

It seemed like every store I went to I'd hear either that funky nokia ringtone, that one mozart song, or that other.. weird stupid ringtone EVERY 2 or 3 minutes.

Grr then again I'm in california.. home of the lemmings and copycats. Here everybody drives a japanese SUV and has a nokia cellphone.. just because.
Aloha

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Well, I have a cell phone, but it's my only phone. I ditched my land-line phone about a year ago. I've been really happy with that decision.
me and the wifer got a dual phone plan thing, ditched the landline, and are relatively happy. sure the reception sorta sucks occasionally, but the dual celphone plan we got was about the same price as 1 landline.

we have some cheap model sony ericcson phones. t300 or t310 or something. its small, gets decent battery life, and it works.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 5, 2004, 01:17 AM

Don`t have and definitely don`t want one.
95% of all calls are useless anyway. Think first-then pick up the phone.
Unfortunately cheap calls have turned this around: first pick up the phone and don`t bother thinking for yourself.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:24 AM

check out http://t-mobile.howardforums.com they are phone fanatics. They will help you. and for those in Canada, I run www.fidozone.ca The Fido users resource (sorry couldn't resist the plug). Fido is a Canadian mobile provider. The best in my opinion (hence my site ).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Sealobo
May 5, 2004, 01:31 AM

I am getting a 3G phone once my current phone service contract expires in July.

http://www.three.com/

I can't do shxt without my cellphone, for me it's more important than having web access.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 01:35 AM

Hmm. Seems, according to their agreement, T-Mobile *may* ask for a deposit, and I have the option to cancel within 7 days. Damn, sucks having no credit, and I don't really want to have to pay some insane deposit. I'm pretty certain they'll ask for it, too. We'll see how it goes, I guess, when phone time comes around.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I'd rather ditch the landline, except the husband wants 911 to know where we are when we call, etc.
So be sure to get a phone that supports GPS E911. That means the phone has a GPS receiver in it that (in areas that support it) transmits your coordinates to the 911 operator.

tooki

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 5, 2004, 03:21 AM

i can see it now. you'll send your first text message to me and my phone will never work again.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
May 5, 2004, 05:08 AM

Or, at least, finding it hard to resist? Anyone else totally enamored with the T610?
i really like my t610. it had some issue in the beginning, but those were fixed since. if you can wait another couple of weeks though, this little gem is on the way.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 05:59 AM

Hmm. Seems, according to their agreement, T-Mobile *may* ask for a deposit, and I have the option to cancel within 7 days. Damn, sucks having no credit, and I don't really want to have to pay some insane deposit. I'm pretty certain they'll ask for it, too. We'll see how it goes, I guess, when phone time comes around.
I got my phone at a T-Mobile kiosk in a mall, and when they did a credit check I just gave them my Visa Check Card. I had a credit card and saving account through the same bank, so I don't know if they checked everything or just if I had money in my checking account. One of my roommates went to a T-Mobile store and, without any credit, had to pay a deposit.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 06:17 AM

Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?
No. Not got one, don't need one, not thinking about it ether.
Why whould I want one? So all the people who don't call me while I am at home can not call me while I am out.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 06:22 AM

I've had a cell phone for the last 5 years or so. Its nice to have and not worry about using pay-phones (might as well lick some stranger's ass, same thing).

I'm on Verizon right now and I like their way of not billing you for talking with other Verizon users (most of my friends have the same service).

I've got an Audiovox camera-phone and the reception is great. Best I've had. The camera is nothing but a gimmick and I don't mind since it was free (the offer is still valid I think 2 for 1).

Cell-phones

Pay-phones and other peeps phones'
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

hart
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:

I always liked Fred Couples' response when a reporter asked him why he didn't answer the phone: "Because there might be someone on the other end."

hey! that's my philosophy of life! my phone message says if you want an answer then email me. My therapist says she can do something about that....

I got a cell phone 5 years ago cause I was driving long trips alone with little kids. I still have the same one, never use up my $30/mo plan and only have my phone with me and turned on about 20% of the time. It's great when I need it (broken down car, late for school pickup, can't find family in mall) but I see no reason why having a phone means I have to actually ANSWER it.

another use for me is as a piece of backup safety equipment when kayaking. *cg, that's the coast guard (I better make sure it's still correct before getting out on the water this year)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 07:33 AM

I'll second Mindfade's "Hey, look at me, I'm important because I'm babbling on my cell phone" generation. Being around the university, I'll see a pack of girls/guys walking in a group ALL on their cell phones.

Why even bother being around others?

The striding motion is the "Oh, this is extra important and I need to find a quiet place to talk" motion.

I love it when you are talking to one of these fools and the moment the thing makes a noise they blindly answer it. Half of the time, they don't even bother to play the "Let me check to see how important this is" game.

It's a cell phone, it's not a free ticket to be rude.

wolfen
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 07:38 AM

( Last edited by wolfen; May 5, 2004 at 06:14 PM. )
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 07:49 AM

The E911 thing seems rather important... one feature that I think is hilarious are then new enormous phones that have a palm and camera built in.

DORK!!!

Let me check my schedule... (5 minutes later) yah, I'm available (and you can see that they didn't have anything planned for that day).

I just have the old paper book and it takes around 5 seconds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules