Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Displays Control Panel not working

Displays Control Panel not working
LightWaver-67
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 01:12 PM

I do not know what happened.

I went to open my Display Control panel and nothing happens. All other panels open fine, but when I click on "Displays"... nothing changes and the windows for each monitor never appear. I tried repairing permissions, restarting, shutting down THEN restarting... nothing.

Here is what the console log says (I can't understand this stuff):

2005-04-14 12:30:04.501 System Preferences[803] Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.
2005-04-14 12:30:04.501 System Preferences[803] Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.
2005-04-14 12:30:15.886 System Preferences[803] *** Assertion failure in -[NSMenu itemAtIndex:], Menus.subproj/NSMenu.m:638
2005-04-14 12:30:15.886 System Preferences[803] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException' (reason 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: (index >= 0) && (index < (_itemArray ? CFArrayGetCount(_itemArray) : 0))') that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 149120 and selector 'setCurrentPreference:'
2005-04-14 12:31:59.869 System Preferences[803] [NSPrefPaneBundle instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane): should only be called once

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 03:00 PM

It also happens under a "New" user when I create one and go in to use it there too.

Grrrr...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2005, 03:09 PM

Maybe try reinstalling the Displays prefpane? Sounds like it somehow got corrupted (possibly by a theme or something like that).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 04:32 PM

Nope... no themes or 3rd-party hacks...

How does one go about reinstalling such a thing...? I have the install discs... but never tried to do an individual install like that.

Thanks.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 12:37 AM

Can someone "stuff" and post or email their 10.3.8 version of: Displays.prefPane to me...?

Located in your HD > System > Library > Preference Panes

NOT the "Library" at the root, the one in your System folder.

That's the only other thing I can think of.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 12:51 AM

Scratch that!

I used Pacifist to extract it from the install CD - reinstalled the Displays Pref Pane.

STILL NO-GO!

Does anyone know what that gobbledy-gook code I pasted means...? What Tiff is giving it problems...?

UGH!!!

hoopz
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 04:14 PM

Have you tried removing files called com.apple.displays and maybe com.apple.systempreferences from ~/Library/Preferences?

Also, you may wish to consult this page about tiffutil as it seems to have some info on the issues console is complaining about with TIFFs. Do you by any chance have any TIFFs in ~/Pictures (or whatever folder your Desktop/Screensaver pane looks for Desktop pictures in)? Perhaps try removing them.

It seems to me, though, that the other items from your console log are more indicative of your problem; alas, I don't understand them.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by hoopz
Have you tried removing files called com.apple.displays and maybe com.apple.systempreferences from ~/Library/Preferences?

Also, you may wish to consult this page about tiffutil as it seems to have some info on the issues console is complaining about with TIFFs. Do you by any chance have any TIFFs in ~/Pictures (or whatever folder your Desktop/Screensaver pane looks for Desktop pictures in)? Perhaps try removing them.

It seems to me, though, that the other items from your console log are more indicative of your problem; alas, I don't understand them.
Yep... I've tried trashing all-sorts of variants of pref's to no avail... even re-installed the pref-pane itself. We'll see... *sigh*

Jeffmrwonderful
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:20 PM

LightWaver-67, Maybe its because of your monitor and video card combination.

I have a dual monitor setup. I was replacing the primary monitor with a larger one. then the same problem you were having happened to me. (that is why I am here because I was searching for someone with the same problem). I knew the display preference was working before I tried hooking up the new monitor. I figure I would test out switching the monitor connetions with the 2 video cards to see if that would help. It worked and I get my display preference back. Funny, both cards in my G4 are ATI Rage 128 (with slight differences) yet different combination affected my Display Preference.

The only thing I can suggest is try another video card (or monitor if you have one) and see if your getting the same problem.

Good Luck. I hope this solves your problem.

Jeffmrwonderful

Forum Links
Forum Rules