Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife '09: Which version of iMovie will be available?

iLife '09: Which version of iMovie will be available?
AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2008, 06:52 AM

When Apple released iMovie 08, many users like myself, weren't happy with the new layout of iMovie 08. Apple graciously re-offered version 6 if iMovie 08 was installed.
1st Q: Which version of iMovie do you currently use? iMovie HD 6 or iMovie 08 ?

2nd Q: In the next version, i.e, iLife '09: what will happen to the iMovie HD 6 users? Will Apple continue to offer two versions? Maybe get rid of the 08 version (still not sure if it was a hit with most people)? Or just leave the 6 version in the dust to quietly die?

what do you think?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 12:49 PM

1) I use iMovie '08 considering I've never used it before and therefore have no issues going from previous versions.

2) Who knows what Apple will do, but judging from their past, I wouldn't put it past them to let the old version die. It's possible with the next version of iMovie, Apple will offer plug-in support once again.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 01:30 PM

The stability and parity with other Mac OS X apps is much better, in my opinion, with iMovie '08. Granted, some of the missing features should be added back in.

Keep in mind, though that this applies to what I use it for...Ken Burns effect for slideshows of images with a soundtrack. iMovie '06 sucked at consistently rendering cross fades with sub-pixel animation that imovie '08 now has.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 01:48 PM

1) I prefer iMovie '08. Much faster working, and doing sound in GarageBand is MUCH more flexible for building/mixing/composing/arranging soundtracks than iMovie HD ever was. Plus, I really like the iPhoto/iTunes-like concept of your media event pool, from which your projects are built.

2) I assume that the next version of iMovie will bring the video capabilities up to the level of iMovie HD, hopefully with a plug-in architecture. But of course, nobody knows.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 05:42 PM

I use and prefer iMovie '08.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 07:36 PM

I've used iMovie '08 a couple of times and now much prefer it. iMovie '06 seems clunky by comparison. Tons of stuff fixed in the newest iDVD too.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 08:10 PM

I assume they'll leave '06 up for download on the website; you're welcome to continue using it.

Whenever the next iLife comes out I'd expect them to have developed upon '08 to add back some the features it's missing.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 4, 2008, 08:54 PM

iMovie 06 is dead

The next version of iMovie will shore up the most requested missing features and add a few nifty knew ones and no one will really care about iMovie 06 anymore.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 08:37 PM

Absolutely cannot stand iMovie 08. As with the original poster, I'm glad we can still use iMovie '06. Regardless, the horrendous new UI is likely here to stay.

webraider
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2008, 01:07 AM

And I prefer iMovie '08. Would love to see more of the features form version 6 make it into 8, like slow Mow, fast forward and rewind...

Some more effects and transitions would be good and Apple.. should add chapter editing to iDVD.. not iMovie. It makes more sense there. Also would like to see better options for slide shows in the iLife suite.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2008, 01:39 AM

Surprised to see the '08 lovers now. When it first came out there was nothing but hate for it...

The only thing I miss from '06 is the 'speed up/slow down' effect, so I do that in '06 and import it back into '08.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 10:19 AM

I've liked it from day 1. I never really used iMovie before then so I had no comparison.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 10:12 PM

06 all the way (when I even use iMovie) I'd love to use 08 but it really does nothing compared to 06.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I'd love to use 08 but it really does nothing compared to 06.
Someone is exaggerating.

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 11:35 PM

Of course I am. But you understand my point and know that it is valid.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
06 all the way (when I even use iMovie) I'd love to use 08 but it really does nothing compared to 06.
The integration with GarageBand means that creating and mixing the soundtrack, at least, is *worlds* beyond anything iMovie HD could do.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2008, 07:59 AM

Slow motion was removed. Such a basic effect. Must add that back in!
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2008, 10:43 AM

iMovie 06 worked fine with GarageBand for me, but I havent tried 08's integration.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008, 04:31 PM

Honestly, iMovie 06 and earlier were basically ultralight versions of Final Cut, whereas iMovie 08 is nothing like any other video editor I've ever seen or heard of. 08 seems to excel at quick edits of shorter projects, while 06 and earlier are better suited for more comprehensive, longer projects.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2008, 07:33 PM

I'd love to use 08, but my measly 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 apparently isn't good enough...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 08:03 PM

iMovie '08 can't even separate a video track from its audio track. What good is that?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
iMovie '08 can't even separate a video track from its audio track. What good is that?
Everything beyond the most basic "let's slap a song under that" editing is done in GarageBand. All the effects, including speech enhancer, EQ, and compressor, and every single other audio unit you might have installed, are available there.

That's a LOT more good than anything iMovie HD ever could.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 01:30 PM

So there's some way to divorce an integrated audio track from a video clip? How do you do it?

In iMovie HD, you just had to choose "Extract Audio" from the Advanced menu.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 06:08 PM

Just drag the video preview into GarageBand's arrange area, and it will separate the audio out into a separate track, giving you the video in the first track at the top.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 07:08 PM

Okay, that's far from being easy, fast, or intuitive, and it took me a while to figure out where to drag it from (dragging it straight from iMovie doesn't work - you need to go to Media Browser in GarageBand), but it does seem to work. Thanks.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Oct 11, 2008, 10:45 PM

Bring back the interface of iMovie6HD, support for plugins like iMovie6HD can AND full HD support for AVCHD so we can burn HD movies to blu-ray. iMovie 8 sucks. I enjoy using plug ins I purchased from gee three for iMovie6HD. Hardly any transitions in iMovie 8.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

webraider
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
When Apple released iMovie 08, many users like myself, weren't happy with the new layout of iMovie 08. Apple graciously re-offered version 6 if iMovie 08 was installed.
1st Q: Which version of iMovie do you currently use? iMovie HD 6 or iMovie 08 ?

2nd Q: In the next version, i.e, iLife '09: what will happen to the iMovie HD 6 users? Will Apple continue to offer two versions? Maybe get rid of the 08 version (still not sure if it was a hit with most people)? Or just leave the 6 version in the dust to quietly die?

what do you think?
First of all.. I think iMovie '08 is genius. That said.. it is missing some things. It's missing some simple things that I think will get put back in. (like.. Slow motion, Reverse, etc...) I also believe they will update how the audio works and add the ability to do chapters in either iMovie (or expand iDVD's ability beyond setting chapters at specific equidistant points.) I also believe that Apple will open up iMovie's plug ins for development. I think they are listening to consumers juding from the added functinality we've seen them implement since it first came out. I defintely enjoy using iMovie '08 more than '06. '06 felt like I was working. '08 just feels fun to me. Even FCP users tell me they hope to see a User Interface more like iMovie '08 in future versions. For those griping about a timeline.. iMovie '08 does have one. You can even view the actual time if you want to.. ( I don't need to with the way the selection works).

Oh yeah.. I think they'll add transitions that will enable you to do some of the cool effects with photos like you do in Keynote. Slide shows are kinda basic from the iLife suite these days (w/o iWork)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
For those griping about a timeline.. iMovie '08 does have one. You can even view the actual time if you want to.. ( I don't need to with the way the selection works).
Could you enlighten us? Because I sure haven't been able to find a real timeline view.

webraider
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Could you enlighten us? Because I sure haven't been able to find a real timeline view.
First of all the whole thing is a "timeline view"... It's all linear.. it's just you are looking at it starting on the first line, then next line etc... The only thing missing is.. The time..

You have to turn on the time for the clip that your selection is on by Preferences->Display Timecodes. Now the time of the movie will display in addition to the amount of time that is in your selection.

You can shrink your clips down to a 1s view and make the icon view smaller, or increase the clips to a larger 10 second view.. These things can each customive the "timeline" view.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 02:10 AM

That's not a timeline view. That just pops up a little flag with a timecode when you scrub over the video.

Slightly less useless, but not in the least an actual timeline. (For starters, it's still on multiple lines...)

Raman
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 06:56 PM

iMovie 08 takes forever to start on my 4 gig 24" aluminum iMac because it keep trying to create previews/thumbnails for the small video clips I've taken with my digicams. Every time.

Since Apple isn't putting firewire in their latest consumer-level product (MacBook) I doubt many people will be messing with iMovie09 unless they upgrade their DV cam to something that records onto USB or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules