Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Mac OS X 10.6 SERVER feature wish list

The official Mac OS X 10.6 SERVER feature wish list
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 07:29 PM

Ok sys admins. Lets roll.

I want:
* Enterprise grade, Retrospect style TimeMachine - Lets administer computers from Server Admin, and allow me to specify what to backup (entire computer, ~/?) , where to back it up (multiple backup sets -- onsite, offsite, backup backup) and when (over airport, ethernet, VPN, network boot)

* iCal Server to work properly. Allow groups to be openable in iCal.

* Network Homes. More speed, is that AFP bug fixed yet?

* Package Manager. Just buy MacPorts.

* Printing. How can I still not see EVERYONEs print jobs on network shared printers?

* My desire - Version controlled AFP utility. We all know Microsoft and Adobe don't support users writing direct to network shares (if you want to argue this, lets move to another thread) -- so I'd like an interface to upload my local files to AFP. Make sure it supports collaboration and versioning. Seemlessly, from the finder. So when I drag a file off the network its checked out, when I drag it back the sync app asks me to confirm the changes and what to over write etc.

* Apple Remote Desktop 4 - Tighter integration between ARD installs, allow task server to work on all commands (eg, send unix command)
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 07:34 PM

How did I forget the thing I'm going to have to spend weeks on?

* Easy migration of local user machines to network homes.
we don't have time to stop for gas

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 4, 2008, 09:10 PM

1. Hypervisor support
2. NAS functionality
3. iSCSI Target /Initiator
4. ZFS
5. Clustering options that don't require XSAN for Mail and Calendar servers
6. ARD 4 with support for Intel's iAMT
7. Clientless VPN (SSL)
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 09:15 PM

Integration that works as well as Active Directory and Exchange.
Thinks like network admin accounts (login to any machine on network connected to LDAP server and be admin) without turning workstations into pumpkins when the server isn't available and a calendar server that doesn't suck in almighty ways.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 01:14 AM

- Libvirt/KVM support
- AFP replaced with sshfs
- Ports system that works by replacing Apple's installed pieces and/or sandboxing new ports/libraries/services
- Intelligent software update
- The ability to do absolutely everything without a GUI for users that don't want to run Aqua
- ZFS
- Calendar Server to support delegation without requiring LDAP

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 12:04 AM

Here's another one: something like LVM to manage partitions, and urging OS X Server users wishing to run a network service on OS X Server to partition their systems to move /var and /home to their own partitions.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
* Package Manager. Just buy MacPorts.

Great idea! However, MacPorts definitely isn't great in its current state, it could stand extensive development to improve it.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:20 PM

Woot! There is going to be shared group calendars and an address book server. Finally. I know the calendar server says it will offer push, but will the address book? The whole server better offer push calendars, email, contacts.

Apple - Server - Mac OS X Leopard - Snow Leopard

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure that there is much benefit to push Address Book. It is likely more computationally expensive in maintaining constant network connections, and likely unnecessary when the Address Book can pull in changes every minute, every time a list is clicked on, or whatever.

Just thinking out loud...

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 06:12 PM

You'd be surprised. I manage my uncle's contacts now and he has 3500+ that he continually is adding, changing, deleting. He requires they be as up to date as possible and with him at all times. His secretaries and interns have access via .Mac. Push contacts for him is a must. We use Mac OS X Leopard Server's Calendar Server to keep his calendars as up to date as possible, but obviously it still doesn't push down to his iPhone.

For me, on the other hand, I don't need push anything except maybe email.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 07:03 PM

I'm wondering if Apple will develop a component that sort of plays traffic cop between Mail, the Address Book, and Calendar Servers, sort of like how amavis does with email content filtering.. This way, the number of connections can be reduced, and resource allocation managed within a single config...

Just thinking out loud...

Forum Links
Forum Rules