Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Mystery

Battery Mystery
AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2008, 12:14 PM

I just received my early 2008 macbook pro 2.4 ghz laptop from the apple refurb department and I have noticed something very interesting so far. I haven't owned a macbook pro in a few years but I have gone through a few macbooks. The battery meter in the menu bar is set to show me percentage at all times. When I first got the machine, I remember plugging it in and it charging all the way up to 99% and then holding there, would not go to 100%. I then unplugged the ac adapter and used it until the machine ran out of battery, recharged the battery and it displayed 100% once it was fully charged. I have not unplugged it since, and it has been about two days now and the readout in the menu bar says 96% now. It has not gone lower than that in the past day, but I find this a bit worrisome. When I owned a titanium powerbook way back I remember it doing something similar but never dropping below 98% at any given time when plugged in. My question is, is this normal behavior? Has anyone else experienced this at all? I know when my macbooks were plugged in they never showed a percentage outside of 100% when plugged in. Any feedback is welcome.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2008, 12:32 PM

Not to be worried. This is normal behavior.

You can read up on it here:

Apple Portables: Battery may not show a full charge in Mac OS X

If you later decide to calibrate your battery and ensure maximum performance out of it, you might also want to read this document:

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Enjoy your new "axe"!

AlbanianGenome  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2008, 07:19 PM

issa! you are an all american allstar! Beautiful links to help me out with this issue, I really appreciate that, you have put my worries to rest

Forum Links
Forum Rules