Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding 2nd DVD Drive to Mac Pro

Adding 2nd DVD Drive to Mac Pro
AubreyL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 05:47 AM

I purchased a Mac Pro but of course only have the standard Superdrive that it comes with. I am selling my Windows machine now that it is being replaced. It has two nice DVD burners in them, both are dual layer and very nice. Am I able to add one of these standard dvd burners to the Mac Pro or do I have to order something that is from Apple?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 04:23 PM

Yes you can reuse one of your DVD burners. Apple doesn't even list internal burners in their online store.

markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008, 12:45 AM

I tried installing an old burner using Cable Select. I tried hooking it up and using the Option Key and the Eject key to eject it. The only problem is the drive I have, an LG4165B won't eject. It looks like it's ready to eject and it can't. My concern is that it has something to do with the silver door that is on the Mac Pro. I may be wrong but it seems the drive that came with the Mac Pro has a thin door and the one on the 4165B seems to be almost double the height. I even looked at other DVD Burners online and most seem to have this higher door from top to bottom. Is there a certain type of DVD drive that needs to be put in a Mac Pro so that it works with the special doors or is there something else I could have done wrong? Everything appears to be mounted properly.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2008, 12:05 PM

When installing optical drives in Mac towers, a lot of the time you need to take the front bezel off of the drive sled that extends out of your drive. That way it will clear the thinner Mac drive door on the case. This won't hurt your optical drive. Be sure not to yank it off though, as that would do damage.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Forum Links
Forum Rules