Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Star TSP600 on Mac - hint needed!

Star TSP600 on Mac - hint needed!
kflux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 07:52 AM

hey folks,

i recently got a Star Micronics TSP600 thermal POS printer (TSP613 tear bar type with serial interface) which I am trying toget to work on my Mac via a USB to Serial adapter (PL2303 chip)

Having done some research on this topic many people simply said to buy a USB model and stop trying to get a serial printer run. I didn't like that approach, so I tried it.

I actually got to the point where my printer spits out unreadable gibberish (heureka!!!) but i don't really know why - and I might need some advice from a CUPS/POS guru or simply from someone who has successfully achieved to get such a printer to run...

here's what i did so far:

- installed open source PL2303 USB-to-Serial driver that was recommended here (seems to work, because it shows up in /dev/tty*)

- since Star Micronics doesn't provide a Mac driver for the serial TSP600, but only USB, i went on to find a CUPS PPD file for this printer - which i found in the Linux driver package for the same model (tsp613.ppd.gz)

- installed the Serial Printing Enabler from here

- went to my local CUPS settings page http://localhost:631 to "Administration" > "Add Printer"
- set name and description > next picked "PL2303-XXXXXX" (USB-to-Serial-adapter) as device
- set 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, DTR handshake as settings (same as my printer)
- chose the downloaded tsp613.ppd driver file for this printer
- finish

the printer showed up in CUPS and in the MacOS X printer settings as "TSP613 Tear Bar" and i tested it by printing a simple text file, but nothing at all happened...so i went back into the CUPS settings and changed the serial handshake to "none" and tried printing again - and it WORKED!!!!!!

err, the TSP600 spit out inches and inches of paper filled with lines of ASCII gibberish, but at least my Mac speaks to the printer now!

i need a hint where to continue! is it a serial settings issue or is it a CUPS driver issue? any more ideas would be highly appreciated!

thanks in advance,

flux

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 08:31 AM

What POS software are you using? I don't think hooking up a serial receipt printer is as simple as adding it in CUPS and using it. I think that they don't have standard interfaces at all, and your POS software has to support STAR printers in order to be able to use it.

At least, back when I set up some Star TSP600-series serial printers with POSIM POS software, I started down the road of adding CUPS drivers and all that stuff. It went nowhere, so I got rid of all that stuff, just installed the USB-to-serial driver, and POSIM was able to see it and use it. That was a few years ago, on Tiger, but I doubt anything has changed in regards to serial printing on OS X in the meantime.

Hope this helps!
( Last edited by Dork.; Jan 18, 2012 at 08:38 AM. )

kflux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 08:56 AM

thanks, Dork - i am not using any POS software yet, since i want to use the printer for an art project. I know that POS software can speak to the printer directly through raw data communication (Star Line or ESC/POS protocol) - but the new USB models come with a proper CUPS driver and are supposed to work like normal printers in the OS environment.

I got this to work without any problem in my Windows environment, and since there are CUPS drivers at all it *should* also work in OS X - i just don't know where i made a mistake or where i am missing something...

but thanks for your hint anyhow

Forum Links
Forum Rules