Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone know where some generic stock High School footage is?

Anyone know where some generic stock High School footage is?
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 08:57 PM

I'm looking for any random high school related videos, so that I can put together a music video about high school. This isn't an assignment, it's just something I decided to do.

I'd like footage primarily of any scene in which large groups of people are being herded in one direction or another. Into the classroom, out of the classroom, into the bus, etc. But there should be some other type of footage too to mix in there, because it needs to be about 3 and a half minutes long (dictated by the length of the music track i'm using). And it doesn't have to be real either, as long as it comes from a good movie or something, so that it looks real.

Thanks alot.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:00 PM

There are stock footage places like getty and comstock but they include the watermark. Is that ok?

nice to see you

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I'm looking for any random high school related videos, so that I can put together a music video about high school. This isn't an assignment, it's just something I decided to do.

I'd like footage primarily of any scene in which large groups of people are being herded in one direction or another. Into the classroom, out of the classroom, into the bus, etc. But there should be some other type of footage too to mix in there, because it needs to be about 3 and a half minutes long (dictated by the length of the music track i'm using). And it doesn't have to be real either, as long as it comes from a good movie or something, so that it looks real.

Thanks alot.
You might want to try the Internet Archive in the Moving Images section. I found some great stock there a few times.

http://www.archive.org/index.php
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
There are stock footage places like getty and comstock but they include the watermark. Is that ok?

nice to see you
Thats until you buy it…

-Owl

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:07 PM

well- duh!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 11:38 PM

istockphoto has cheap footage for sale.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:52 PM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 21, 2007, 12:15 AM

YouTube - Ninja Battle (old school)

There's some excellent footage.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
YouTube - Ninja Battle (old school)

There's some excellent footage.
The slow motion was the best.

Also, check this totally generic footage out. This is just like when I was in high school:

YouTube - Ninjas - Trouble in school

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 21, 2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
The slow motion was the best.

Also, check this totally generic footage out. This is just like when I was in high school:

YouTube - Ninjas - Trouble in school
hahahaha...that was good stuff.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks guys.

YouTube - "1984" - The Brainwashing of America.

Here's the video. I know it's a little radical.. but it was fun to make, and i'm happy with how it turned out.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 01:01 AM

Thanks guys.

YouTube - "1984" - The Brainwashing of America.

Here's the video. I know it's a little radical.. but it was fun to make, and i'm happy with how it turned out.
That was the most boring video I have seen in a long time. I don't think you got your point across, whatever that may have been. I just kept thinking "this has got to turn into something interesting before the end"; sadly it didn't.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 03:14 AM

Yeah. I don't get it. Those kids looked happy to me. Was the music somehow meant to indicate something sinister behind those learning kids? And seriously....boring. :zzz:

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yeah. I don't get it. Those kids looked happy to me. Was the music somehow meant to indicate something sinister behind those learning kids? And seriously....boring. :zzz:
Oh my God! They're so engaged in their learning, and they have such nurturing parents!!!!!1!!!11!!1!!! Horrifying.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:06 AM

Home-schooled children get to play on swings.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 09:04 AM

And have watermarks on their footage.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:59 AM

The kids are being brainwashed every step of the way. It starts with the parents. Even those two mothers at the beginning think that they're doing the right thing dressing their kid up for school and sending them off.

No other species runs a society in which the children are separated from the parents for a large portion of the day.

They start school, they begin learning to act like each other, and succumb to peer pressure.

Come the teen years... they're all herded onto a bus, and they no longer look very excited about learning or going to school. They all have their heads relatively down, and similar to some sort of army camp setting, they are driven off in buses and forced into classrooms that they hate.

Rows of teens sit down like clones at identical tables, to learn identical information at identical paces.. (paces much slower than what a human mind is capable of learning at).

Also, mass crowds of identically aged people crowding hallways is not natural. If there was no school, people would group up based on their intellectual level, not based on age.

Then, finally they're free. They burst out of the doors and begin running down the stairs.. but tragically, they now all think the same, move the same, and dress the same.

We come to the image of the swing... something that people used to do for fun.. not for a grade.. not for recognition.. not for popularity.. but for fun. We crossfade between the empty swing, and the children again, when they were little, when they should have been playing on that swing instead of sitting inside a building they didn't want to be in, being forced to learn things they didn't want to know.

I then dedicate the video to the millions of innocent children, who's lives were, and continue to be the living proof that "1984" is becoming a reality.

And for anyone curious, the music is "Auschwitz-Birkenau" by John Williams.

I've always wanted to compare school to concentration camps.. so I was delighted to find all that stock footage. Auschwitz killed the bodies, school kills the minds. Which is worse?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:17 AM

^ I understand you're giddy with rhetorical flourish, but That. Question. Can't. Be. Serious.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 11:18 AM

Wow. I don't even know what to say.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:26 AM

And you chose that over the clear danger that my ninja footage illuminated? Puh-leez.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2007, 04:43 PM

Dude. You are sooo deep. You're like totally right on dude. You're like totally dude like Socrates or Galileio.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2007, 04:43 PM

Hey macgeek, did you ever meet that Jewsih girl you fell in love with without ever meeting?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 04:44 PM

No, remember, she said she loved him so he dumped her, because he ain't ready for that kind of commitment. He's still young and needs to sow his wild oats.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 04:52 PM

I've always wanted to compare school to concentration camps.. so I was delighted to find all that stock footage. Auschwitz killed the bodies, school kills the minds. Which is worse?
This thread now has potential Legendary™ status.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2007, 04:54 PM

I can't keep up with his torrid love affairs. I am usually in a state of awe over his budding movie making career and talk of how much smarter and will earn so much more than all of us to keep up.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No, remember, she said she loved him so he dumped her, because he ain't ready for that kind of commitment. He's still young and needs to sow his wild oats.
God I hate it when people jump to conclusions about what's happening, or about what happened.

The other user asked about the jewish girl who I never met. You must've never known about her.

You are talking about my ex girlfriend. Two different people.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I can't keep up with his torrid love affairs. I am usually in a state of awe over his budding movie making career and talk of how much smarter and will earn so much more than all of us to keep up.
Videos like this School Auschwitz one don't represent my skill as a film director or editor at all.

I throw stuff like this together in 20 or 30 minutes, because the images and the music do all the work for me. I've never posted online anything that I take seriously.

Also, at the moment i'm heading more into the music industry than the movie industry. I'm producing my Debut Piano CD shortly, and writing music for a feature length independent film.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:27 PM

Please quit the internet. For the love of all that's good and pure, please quit the internet.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

Videos like this School Auschwitz one don't represent my skill as a film director or editor at all.
Do you really not understand how this comes across?

Public school FTW.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 08:00 PM

Ya know, I personally got a lot out of school. Don't knock it til you've tried it. That is not to say every school system has it going on, but really, for you to just blanket the whole system with your dumbass statement is really closed-minded.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 08:06 PM

Also, at the moment i'm heading more into the music industry than the movie industry. I'm producing my Debut Piano CD shortly, and writing music for a feature length independent film.
Right now you're heading for Pretentious Land. If you're lucky you'll cringe in about 20 years from now. If you're unlucky you'll still believe your own BS.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:27 PM

I think interacting with a bunch of other kids all day, every day, is the single most important thing missing from macgeek's life.

It's ironic that this thread should make the pitfalls of home schooling so painfully obvious.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Right now you're heading for Pretentious Land. If you're lucky you'll cringe in about 20 years from now. If you're unlucky you'll still believe your own BS.
QFT

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 09:28 PM

Auschwitz killed the bodies, school kills the minds. Which is worse?
Do you have any siblings? Parents? Watch how all of them (and I mean ALL OF THEM) are dragged out of their beds right now, forced into a vehicle and deported, killed in the most horrid way imaginable and then ask yourself that question you just asked us here again.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 09:30 PM

I throw stuff like this together in 20 or 30 minutes, because the images and the music do all the work for me. I've never posted online anything that I take seriously.
Do you at all notice the cruel irony in your phrases? Auschwitz + "throw stuff like this together in 20 or 30 minutes" ...

Are you being serious here or are you really that cruel?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Do you at all notice the cruel irony in your phrases? Auschwitz + "throw stuff like this together in 20 or 30 minutes" ...

Are you being serious here or are you really that cruel?
He really is an insensitive JERK, who believes that he is superior because he is homeschooled.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
What do you mean by that? I really am producing my debut piano CD right now, and writing music for an independent film.....

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:41 PM

You know what? I KNOW that i'm none of the things that you guys think I am. So I really don't care what you think. Just say whatever you want. I don't care. I was just sharing my new video. The rest is up to you.

I'm not gonna be offended on this board any longer. I'll just be myself and peacefully read all the sarcastic and mean replies. I really don't care.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 10:49 PM

You know what? I KNOW that i'm none of the things that you guys think I am. So I really don't care what you think. Just say whatever you want. I don't care. I was just sharing my new video. The rest is up to you.

I'm not gonna be offended on this board any longer. I'll just be myself and peacefully read all the sarcastic and mean replies. I really don't care.
You have in this very post offended quite a few million people for who they are and what they were (then) and compared that to your frustration with a school system's day-to-day life and learning procedere. It doesn't get much worse than that. If you're not ready to think, maybe you should post insensitive, cruel and, historically entirely ignorant drivel on places where people have no intention of thinking.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 10:52 PM

You go, girl!

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
You go, girl!
I'm not a girl.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:22 PM

I'm not a girl.
And?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 12:32 AM

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 01:19 AM

Sometimes I get in an elevator or step into a subway car, and think, "One of these people might be one of the bizarro posters on the 'NN." It makes me nervous.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2007, 08:44 AM

I think macgeek uses a ferry.

BTW: I never ever ride subways and I can't remember the last time I rode an elevator.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2007, 03:36 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I do want to point out one thing that "unschooling" provided for our buddy:

Let's play...find the grammatical errors! I'll give you a hint...

And to the OP : I hope that you weren't actually raised and taught to have such an arrogant, condescending, and superior attitude toward kids who go to normal schools (and their parents who choose to send their children to school). I hope your mother and father didn't teach you to treat other people this way, and that it's just a phase you're going through due to being an idealistic teenager who thinks he's got the world's problems solved. At least then there's hope for you to grow up and learn to be a little more accepting of people who choose to not lead the same life you do.

<edit>
Also, yeah. Comparing the public schooling system in America to Nazi concentration camps in WWII is unbelievably insensitive and offensive - and I'm not one for sensitivity by any means. It's a shame you are so judgmental toward something you very likely have never actually experienced yourself.

I used to be in your shoes. I went to a small, private, Christian school from kindergarten all the way through the end of high school. I had an attitude about private schools, and I thought that public schools could only be crap compared to private schooling. Then I grew up, opened my eyes, and realized that it's not about the building you're in, or the name of the school - it's about you deciding your academic future and having an active and conscious desire to learn.
</edit>
( Last edited by shifuimam; Sep 24, 2007 at 03:43 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 05:37 PM

Out with you! There's no room for reasonability in this thread!

All_Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 05:40 PM

The other user asked about the jewish girl who I never met. You must've never known about her.
You claim to be all into Jewish girls, and then you compare public education to Nazi concentration camps? I have some Jewish friends, maybe I can showcase your video-splicing talent by showing them this video, and then introduce you to them?

I visited Mathausen concentration camp this summer. It was one of the most horrific experiences of my life. I also spent about 18 years in public school (K - uni). It was one of the most enriching and enlightening experiences of my life.

You posit that public education forces children into a single way of thinking. But during my schooling, I was exposed to thousands of different people. Each of these people, be they teachers or students, was raised by a different family, in a different socio-economic setting, with a different ethnic background, a different religious persuasion, different morals, different values... you get the picture. Having been exposed to thousands of different people, I was exposed to thousands of different ways of seeing the world. If I had been raised solely by my parents, I would have been exposed to only their limited views of the world. Even if I'd been given the opportunity to engage in extra-curricular activities with other people, my parents would still have been the primary influence on the development of my own perspective.

The public education system is far from perfect, I'll never deny that. But the last time I checked, no school was equipped with gas chambers.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 05:45 PM

I think macgeek is the unintentional poster boy for the shortcomings of home education himself.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2007, 05:52 PM

insert typed out words here.

Ya got a lot of work ahead of you in life macgeek. your parents really need to do you a favour and get you into public school; or you demad that you go to public school. It's not like you'll be going to hell or anything. just public school.

Alex

ps. i hope that the stock school image I posted above can help you out

Forum Links
Forum Rules