Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger speaks the Japanese

Tiger speaks the Japanese
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 02:03 PM

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but it looks like Tiger contains a Japanese dictionary too. I noticed it when I was testing out the "reverse conversion" feature (it still doesn't get あした right, by the way). Next to some of the spelling choices, there is a blue "i" bubble. So I clicked on the bubble and it brought up a little dialog reading, "使うこと。用途にもちいること。" followed by some examples. The word I was converting was "使用". It seems to be missing a few bafflingly common words � I tried 言う next and it didn't have the blue "i" bubble � but I thought it was kind of neat.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 09:17 PM

The homonym dictionary has been there since Panther. It only lists definitions for homonyms, usually ones that have similar-but-distinct meanings. Examples: かえる, いし, かたい, いく, etc.

Incidentally, it's not "wrong" about 明日. あす is also a perfectly valid reading, and the difference can only be known from context. There is not a one-to-one mapping between Kanji and pronunciation.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
The homonym dictionary has been there since Panther. It only lists definitions for homonyms, usually ones that have similar-but-distinct meanings. Examples: かえる, いし, かたい, いく, etc.
Really? It's done this all along? Wow. How did I not notice that?

Incidentally, it's not "wrong" about 明日. あす is also a perfectly valid reading, and the difference can only be known from context. There is not a one-to-one mapping between Kanji and pronunciation.
Yeah, I know, but I'll eat my hat if any of my friends ever said they'll see me あす. It's a funny reading to default to, in my opinion.

Anyway, apparently this is much less news than I thought it was, so sorry, y'all. Still pretty nice, though.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 02:01 AM

в аде вы говорите о?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 02:21 AM

That looks like gibberish to me. Safari doesn't do well with Japanese input. I suggest using a Mozilla-based browser, or use UnicodeChecker to convert the characters to HTML entities.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 02:37 AM

That looks like gibberish to me. Safari doesn't do well with Japanese input. I suggest using a Mozilla-based browser, or use UnicodeChecker to convert the characters to HTML entities.
It's not so much Safari's fault, per se, as it's just inserting the characters as whatever encoding the page you are looking at told you to, in this case ISO-8859-1. That screws up a lot of non-roman (if not all) languages. This forces us to manually change it (which you have to do for every window), and then anyone who wants to read it has to also manually change to to the same encoding or else they see gibberish. On top of that, there is no guarantee people will all post using the same encoding. This forum could pretty much solve this problem by forcing input as UTF-8 and displaying all text as UTF-8. Then, as long as the user doesn't purposely change it to something other than UTF-8, all non-ASCII characters would be posted the same.

So in reality, it's this forum's fault for not using an international encoding.

FYI, I believe he posted in UTF-8. Using that, I see some cyrillic and, if I'm not mistaken, I read part of it as "you speak" but it's been a while since I've taken Russian.

That said, using a mozilla based browser does solve all of these problems by doing the conversion to HTML entities. Then all browsers know how to display it regardless of encoding.

Now, what is the difference between asu and ashita? I only know it as ashita.
( Last edited by Xeo; May 9, 2005 at 02:54 AM. )

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2005, 03:31 AM

Yeah, the problem is that Macnn pages use ISO-8859-1 (Latin-only) encoding, which should really be abandoned. The site (both html and database) should use Unicode so we can post non-Latin characters and have it behave predictably. Safari handles languages just fine; look at the Wikipedia languages page to see all the scripts present at once.

Is あす less casual?

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 04:32 AM

is 'asu' the older / traditional reading? (sorry, my hirigana turned into '??' when i posted this)

sminch
( Last edited by sminch; May 9, 2005 at 04:35 AM. Reason: safari et my hirigana)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 09:10 AM

あす is a more formal reading. I hear it often like in あすの天気予報 on TV.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
is 'asu' the older / traditional reading? (sorry, my hirigana turned into '??' when i posted this)

sminch
Again, Safari is just following the encoding this forum software told it to use. It is terrible and I've put a request in to finally change it. Safari would play fine if the page wasn't set to such a limiting charset.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 09:41 PM

fyi, this forum now speaks the Japanese too.

日本語

This thread spawned a discussion in the mod lounge and now the charset for this forum is UTF-8.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 10:23 PM

How is Japanese language support in 10.4? Is it improved compared to 10.3? My sister-in-law is Japanese and she has several complaints about Japanese language support in Panther. Her system is in English, but she composes most of her emails in Japanese.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 10:37 PM

Guess it depends on her complaints. Wataru would be able to answer this question more thoroughly, but personally I do not see much of a difference. I haven't used it much since it came out though.

What doesn't she like?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 11:55 PM

fyi, this forum now speaks the Japanese too.
イケてる! 

himself
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
イケてる! 
uh, ditto.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2005, 12:33 AM